amd vs. intel

i wana rail thoughs 3 blue guys... and dave mathews for havin them in his video.
seriously though, you can pick up a xp1800+ for 180, while a 1.8gig p4 is around 400-500(last itme i checked), so, for the same proformance your saving a couple hundred dollars... and with that extra 200 you can pick up a few gigs of ram... makes sence to me!

I warned you not to start this thread. :rolleyes: Lets throw the Apple G4 processor into the mix. :D:p

G4 MMMMMmmmmmmmm!! Seriously tho' I have only ever had AMD power, more by chance than design and they have always been very good to me, but if I was ever in a position to install Intel then so be it!!

TOK;)

IF, someone gave me a new, 2.X Ghz Intel Processor...I'd sell it back to them and buy 2 of the fastest AMD's :p

Re: ...

Originally posted by dejav00
IF, someone gave me a new, 2.X Ghz Processor...I'd sell it back to them and buy 2 of the fastest AMD's :p
Yeah and a new dual prossesor board 1 gig DDR and XP pro... SWEET! :D

X-Inside...that's all cool as long as you got cooling...just a warning for you, the 28.32's are bad, they are not made for desktop systems...get the very first version of XP Dets that you can.

I have recently read this article from Toms Hardware Guide about what happens to Intel and AMD CPUs when the heatsink is removed.
The P4, when heatsink removed throttles down the speed and allows system to remain operational though very slow.
P3 slows then the system hangs
Athlon Thunderbird crashes and starts smoking.
Athlon MP crashes and starts smoking even though it has an onboard thermister to slow the processor to prevent meltdown. But this thermistor and the algorithms associated only hand temp changes of a few degrees.

AMD are now working on getting the thermistor and algorithms better, but the monitoring is not done on chip but has to be done on the motherboard. So this is the main Reason (I believe that Intel are more expensive, as if the heatsink fails or falls off you wont end up with a dead CPU and possibly motherboard as well)

Cam should understand the fustration that goes with this.

You can read the article here

You can get the video of the experiment here

I use AMD, but thought there would be some people who would like to see this.

Re: ...

Originally posted by dejav00
X-Inside...that's all cool as long as you got cooling...just a warning for you, the 28.32's are bad, they are not made for desktop systems...get the very first version of XP Dets that you can.

What dets should I get? I want good drivers that I will get as much fps as I can get... heh Im weird... If my FPS goes down to even 60 I freak out... heh and in medal of honor it goes down to 40 - 20 in open areas!

Thx Famine, almost thought ya had disappeared for a while...IM me...I want to ask you some questions about that Soyo board of yours...

went from amd to intel, right back to amd. you cannot beat the performance of an AMD chip as compared to a intel. my amd k6-2 450 ran quicker than my pIII 1ghz. it was pathetic. the 450 rated higher in almost every benchmark

I do it both ways :D

Desktops/Workstations - AMD

Servers - Intel

JJB6486

I just installed them getting ready to test out a couple games.. If they suck Ill get the ones I had before again

AMD

AMD started a price war that brought prices to a level that allows me to upgrade often without bankruptsy court getting involved.
I've never had a performance or conflict problem with AMD. However, I am not opposed to Intel. I'll use either one depending on price and reviews.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back