AMD Barton 2500++

Geil, Corsair or TwinMOS are all good - as are Crucial.

As for the GFX card - its whatever you can afford matey - both will work with Half-Life 2, but nobody knows for sure yet how well, but put it this way a friend of mine had the "leaked alpha" version running on a GeForce 4.

I would go with KIngston hyperx as the boys at maximum pc put all of them to the test to see which would give errors first when oced it won by a land slide

if u have some money to burn.... go for hercules 9800pro oem.... rm1400...

What rams should i go for ?
i've been suggested ADATA RAMS and Kingston HyperX
as they worth for the value

Out of the two - HyperX...

Are they worth it - well, if your gonna overclock - absolutely.

Otherwise - no - get some cheap ram.

BlueRaja,
Thx for answering all my questions, appreciate it

One more, will a 350watts PSU be sufficent enough for my new system

Barton 2500++
Ati 9600 PRO BBA (should i get a third party or a BBA?)
NF7-S
Kingston Hyper 2x256 512DDR PC3200
PSU 350 watts Enermax Green/Enlight 300

As i have done my study, this is what i have found out

AGP - 30w
Athlon Barton 1.2Ghz- 1.5 Ghz 65w - 80w
Motherboard - 40w
512 Rams - 40w
CDRW - 40w
CDROM - 40w
7200RPM - 30w
Floppy - 5w
CPU Fan - 3w
Case Fan - 3w

According to my specs, i have calculated and got an amount of 271 watts.

What do you think dude ?

Enermax is a good choice - I have one myself and its been excellent.

Never seen a list of power requirements for individual components before...

For the GFX card manufacturer, its personal choice really - get what you want. There are differences, but usually in the cooling method and memory sinks only.

That should be fine - seems like a good system - perhaps invest on a Coolermaster Aero 7+ heatsink (CPU cooling) and some rounded IDE cables (Improved airflow), looks cool too.

Good luck.

Lots of ppl say that Kingston Hyperx performance is bad

sigh .. im confused

Don't just look at how much watts a power supply has, you gotta look at the max DC output.

there are about 6 basic voltages a power supply produces:

AC input: +3.3V | +5V | +12V | -5V | -12V | +5Vsb

each part of the computer will use one of these. for example hard drives, CD-rom drives, and CPUs use +12V. Say your power supply only outputs max of 5A (A = amps) at +12V. The Athlon XP 2500+ uses about 10A at +12V, already your power supply would overload.

What I'm saying is just cause a power supply says 400w. it probably has lots of +3.3v and +5v, but little +12v. Try to look for one that blacances those out, mainly the +12v, +5v, and the 3.3v as most computer parts uses those voltages.

Like my power supply (which sucks) is a 400w

AC input: +3.3V | +5V | +12V | -5V | -12V | +5Vsb
DC output: 28A | 30A | 11A | 0.5A | 0.8A | 3A

as you can see, I have alot of amps in the +3.3V and +5V areas, but my +12V kills me. I would have to upgrade my power supply if I wanted to add another hardrive or CD-rom drive.

Reka,
Welcome to the world of PC's; everyone has their opinion on what is good and what is not.

You have to read the posts, look up the facts and decide for yourself - go with your gut feeling, your getting a lot of advice here, but there is no substitute for learning by yourself.

Blueraja,
Thx for your advises and opinions, i have learnt alot !
I think i know what i want to get

lol!

What would be the best options to optimize a system with the Barton 2500+ ? I'm looking for something decent and average. E.g Radeon 9600 or 256RAM

If you meant a 256MB graphics card then no. A Radeon 9600 128MB will perform better than a Radeon 9600 256MB.

Originally posted by adamg
lol!

If you meant a 256MB graphics card then no. A Radeon 9600 128MB will perform better than a Radeon 9600 256MB.

What i mean was, what kind of specs/brands of the other components are compatible with a Barton 2500+ and able to produce a good performance

Like Radeon 9600Pro or a 9600XT
Or
256 RAM or 512 RAM

Anyway i bought my stuff aredi, here are my specs

Barton 2500+ (stepping AQXFA, is it good enough to o/c?)
NF7-S Rev. 2.0
Corsair Twinx 512MB(2x256)
Gigabyte 9600PRO 128MB

BTW, i'm having this problem , why is it each time i start my PC, after the bios check, the next screen says SATA Raid Silicon something Primary Channel: Not found Secondary Channel: Not found
How do i get rid of this screen since i'm not using SATA.
What does CMOS Checksum error mean ?

TheBlueRaja,
Once again, thanks alot for your advises and opinions

No problem Reka,

CMOS checksum error is not a good thing, it usually means that the data saved by the BIOS so that it loads up the same configuration all the time has become corrupted.

To correct this, go back into your BIOS, and select Load fail safe defaults, then save and exit. This will then reboot your PC and save a new BIOS config, hopefully this will not report the error again. This can also be a symptom of too much overclocking incidentally.

After it does this go back into your BIOS and enable/disable whatever settings you need (Like your SATA setting - just change it to disabled like rnielsen151 says).

Once you do that it should be OK. Dont go changing things you dont understand in there though, it can cause serious problems.

BTW - is you chip good enough to overclock - you bet your ass it is, keep an eye on those temps though.

A good place to look for stuff on overclocking and for more about your board is here, it served me well.

:D

I'm a computer noob, i tried searching for the SATA option in the BIOS but i can't find it.

TheBlueRaja,
Hmm, most probably i'll be going on air-cooling, which HSF do you recommend ?
Is Aero 7+ good enough ?

Explain yourself adamg

At least this happens with the Geforce4/FX, but it probably happens w/ Radeons too. To keep costs down on the "mainstream" 256MB cards, the manufacturers use cheaper memory, which is then clocked lower to make it work stably. For instance, in the case of FX5600, the stock speeds are 325core/550mem, where mine is 325/500.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back