Age Of Conan

Play eve then. You have to wait real years for levels eventually.

That's the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Drawn out level grinding is not fun, period. On the flipside however, giving it away like candy makes you feel like you didn't accomplish anything. Someone needs to strike a balance between the two, or offer something besides major levels that rewards the player for hard work even if its menial rewards.

I have a day job where I "work" I have games to have fun. AoC/CoV have the right balance for me.

There's been some rather comically slated reviews so far, I'll spoiler it out - incase people don't want to read the abuse about the game :p I didn't write this remember, just found it comical

God damn you ****ing morons why did I believe a word you wrote about this? Why did I let myself be fooled into buying this horrible game.
How is it that a game that came out yesterday already feels dated? I cannot begin to describe how ugly, boring and mindless I have found it so far. Oh my GOD what a ****ing disappointment.
Combat is a button-mashing bore. I really didn't want a DDO style of combat where pressing the right button at the correct micro-second made a difference. And how the **** am I level five before I even reach the first town? I think I killed a few ugly looking mobs and now I am here, in this ugly town.
The moment I started playing WoW I was hooked. It was stylised but it looked nice and combat made sense. This is just horrible. HORRIBLE. How am I supposed to know if I am doing the right thing when all I see is fountains of blood and numbers flashing so fast you can't see them? This makes WoW seem like it might actually be worth returning to, God forbid.
And OH MY CHRIST IS THAT MEANT TO BE A PANTHER? I think it is. That is the ugliest model I've ever seen in a game that has these kind of requirements.
Running at max everything by the way, and staggered, STAGGERED, at how ugly and boring this game is.
To anyone expecting something better than WoW, in my opinion you should avoid this ****ing game. Jesus wept, I think it's horrible.
Funnily enough the first reply the guy got was "go back to Eve" also :p

I've been slightly impressed with AoC, but I can't force myself to log in and play it when WoW is still available (and a lot more fun to play).

The graphics are decent. I am running it at 1680x1050, DX10, all settings maxed out. My framerates range from 20-60fps depending on where I am at. Average is 25-35fps when running around in the world. The game looks good, but graphics do not mean everything.

The gameplay is decent, but not overly engaging. The world, your abilities, and the players you encounter are rather dull. This is to be expected, it's the Age of Conan. I have a hard time getting excited while running around a jungle killing scorpions, snakes, and primitive tribal leaders. Single player content is a bore. Playing in a group can be fun, but there are so many quests spaced out throughout the world that you may find it difficult to get any real sense of direction or progression in the storyline. I was also able to level my character from 1 to 16 in only a few hours. What gives?

The interface is very poor compared to other seasoned MMOs. I'm sure this will change over time, but right now the default interface is terrible.

The combat system is directional, which is cool for the first five minutes. After that, it becomes highly annoying. It's bad enough that I don't have an auto attack button, but you have taken up 3 spaces in my cast bar for directional melee combat. On top of this, your abilities require that you push certain directional buttons to enable combos. I find that these combos don't always work, even if I push the correct directional button. As for magical combat, I would like to see more of a variety (ice, water, nature?)

I found the world itself to be rather confusing. Upon logging in for the first time, I created a new character on the same server as my friend thinking that we could play together. We both logged in, and approach the same NPC. Funny thing is, I could not see him, and he could not see me. We are standing next to the same NPC in the game, but we cannot see one another. What gives? Well, even though we are on the same server, we are not in the same "instance". Well, that's great. Not. An easy fix, but I like the way WoW handles zones / instances.

Overall I give the game a C+. It has the potential to get better, and it's fun to play if you are completely and utterly bored, but it's nothing to get excited over.

God damn you ****ing morons why did I believe a word you wrote about this? Why did I let myself be fooled into buying this horrible game.
How is it that a game that came out yesterday already feels dated? I cannot begin to describe how ugly, boring and mindless I have found it so far. Oh my GOD what a ****ing disappointment.
Combat is a button-mashing bore. I really didn't want a DDO style of combat where pressing the right button at the correct micro-second made a difference. And how the **** am I level five before I even reach the first town? I think I killed a few ugly looking mobs and now I am here, in this ugly town.
The moment I started playing WoW I was hooked. It was stylised but it looked nice and combat made sense. This is just horrible. HORRIBLE. How am I supposed to know if I am doing the right thing when all I see is fountains of blood and numbers flashing so fast you can't see them? This makes WoW seem like it might actually be worth returning to, God forbid.
And OH MY CHRIST IS THAT MEANT TO BE A PANTHER? I think it is. That is the ugliest model I've ever seen in a game that has these kind of requirements.
Running at max everything by the way, and staggered, STAGGERED, at how ugly and boring this game is.
To anyone expecting something better than WoW, in my opinion you should avoid this ****ing game. Jesus wept, I think it's horrible.

Lol...he gives himself away as a troll at several points in this tirade. I don't know if it's a good idea to form an opinion of any RPG in the fifteen minutes that he apparently played. More than likely, he's playing and enjoying it and just wanted to get a few replies.

To me, AoC honestly feels like a more action-based Guild Wars, and that is a good thing. It took a while to get used to a different style of play after WoW, and Guild Wars did just that. Age of Conan is somewhere in between the two, and it seems to have only taken the best elements of the two kinds of combat and added a little extra.

The lack of auto attack is a plus for me. In the first five minutes of WoW, I was casting shadow bolt and dotting. It was kind of a bummer when I came to the realization that I was doing more or less the same thing in endgame dungeons.

For all WoW refugees that don't have the benefit of playing other MMOs and/or have been playing WoW constantly, make sure to do a little gut check when you play AoC so you don't accidentally write off something fun and different.

Differences:
Mobs and Quests: Is the low level content really mundane, or is it that you're used to high-level content and abilities? Remember, you are moving from high-level content in WoW to low-level content in a new game. Imagine if you were playing WoW for the first time after playing some epic MMO. You'd think WHAT IS THIS CRAP? I'M KILLING STUPID RATS/SKELETONS/SCORPIONS/IMPS/WHATEVER AND THE COMBAT SUCKS. Remember that WoW didn't give you anything interesting for a long, long time. Not to mention the abundance of "GET ME SIX RAT EYEBALLS, BUT ONLY 1 IN 5 RATS EVEN HAS AN EYEBALL" you get all the time in WoW.
Friends: Do you feel lonely? Could it be because you haven't made any good friends in it yet? Playing an MMO by yourself is no fun at all...you better enjoy playing Oblivion and its mods instead if you want to go that route.
Combat: Everyone is naturally resistant to change, so it's going to feel weird going from slow paced, repetitive motion to quick and active fighting where two players with the same abilities can have completely different experiences. Do you hate the new combat, or are you just not used to it after hundreds of hours doing it a different way?
Universe: Most WoW players were at least moderately familiar with the Warcraft universe. Is the lack of nostalgia and familiarity hurting your perception?

None of this is to be taken as defending Age of Conan; I myself have only played for a couple of days and haven't gotten a full feel for the game. I only want to provide a little guide to viewing the game objectively so that people don't miss out on some fun times.

Last edited:
I have finally got a buddy key and started playing it.

I have only played 3 hours worth or so, level 10. I am enjoying it quite a bit. If i think about it there ain't nothing great about the game except for 2 things. At least what I have noticed so far, nudity and the battlesystem. I actually really enjoy the battlesystem, makes fighting much more fun. I think I will be keeping my subscription going since i just bought the $199 lifetime membership to LOTRO, that way I can play both.

Once I get to level 20, I am going to be looking for some friends. Let me know your details and all that good stuff!

I'm on Thog PvE with a level 80 Tempest of Set. The guild I'm in isn't a pro guild that takes down a jillion bosses, but they're a mature group who likes to help out.

Here's a quick rundown for anyone who wants to play:
Performance:
I have a Radeon 4870, 4GB of RAM, and Vista 64. This thing almost never crashes (especially since the last patch, which fixed a lot of memory leaks). It did crash quite a bit before, though, because the commit would jump into the 2-3GB range with memory leaks. A lot of people are reporting much better performance since the patch. Running 1280x1024, 4xMSAA/16xAF, everything all the way up, 40-60FPS pretty much all the time.

Gameplay:
Since I've only been serious about my Tempest of Set (and my Demonologist only got to 20), I can't give you the full rundown on warrior/rogue/archer types.

If you've played a healer before but hated the tedium of endgame heals, you're in for a treat. This game makes being a healer more fun than any other I've played. Thanks to AoE and cone heals, you aren't relegated to being a straight button mashing healbot. You can contribute to damage and CC if you want while your heals tick away, and even the heals themselves keep things interesting with cones and smaller AoEs. You get to move around a lot.

Casting itself is more or less what I've always come to expect from MMORPGs. Warrior classes too...stances, taunts, abilities...problem is that I haven't played one past 16.

Leveling:

Quick and painless. Less than two months with my Tempest of Set to hit 80, and a lot of that was trying out a bunch of other classes until I was happy and settled on one that fit how I wanted to play.

Endgame:
Just hit 80, so maybe I'll fill this in later. The guild I'm in really just started serious raiding, but my schedule usually doesn't allow it except on weekends.

Quests:
I can't believe I forgot to include this! They are very well written and interesting (sometimes humorous!) reads. After you get done with the level 1-20 area, you might feel like the absence of each quest being read to you takes something away from the game (except for all the destiny quests). You get used to it, though, and they are still just as entertaining.
This is the only game I've ever played where I had a quest to replace the blood of a dead naked virgin with the blood of a hooker so that a volcano would blow up. Pretty fun.

Last edited:
I guess I should do that as well for my short time so far. I'd love to get into your guild Petros, though I believe I am on another server, when I start another character (if I do) I will make sure to find you.

Performance
This game runs very well, though it's only DX9. I have 4GB of RAM 8800GT and Vista32. Well that is what I am running it at, soon to be GTX280. I have yet to see any crashes, and no freezing of any sort. I have my settings at everything max available. I believe my average is 40FPS.

Gameplay
I can't really say much except it's fun no matter what class you are playing. Petros says everything pretty well. The battle system is better then anything else, makes you really enjoy fighting people, at least for me. You almost actually have to have a skill at fighting in the game. Plus, all that nudity is great lol

Leveling
This is what blew me away and is probably keeping me playing. You level SO SO SO fast in this game, it's easy. Not to say the game is easy, but leveling is much easier compared to other MMO games. It gives you great joy when you hit a new level so fast. I have played a total of about 5 hours and I am at level 15 already. I can't wait to get to a higher level.

Not much more I can say, the only downside I have noticed about the game is that some people on there can be an ass. When I was level 7 and doing a quest, a level 21 kept killing me. A couple people have done this. Though you have to get over that.

I have three months left on my subsciption as of now. Was hoping to get my character finished leveling to 80 before I start Warhammer Online.

Anyone here want to powerlevel me? If I ain't on your server I will start a new char, I know it's possible to do 1-70 in 2 weeks, and 80 another week or so. Let me know.

Rush is because I can't afford 2 MMO games at once, I am more interested with WAR, so I'd like to level cap in AoC, so I can finish the story and quests faster and still enjoy them.

Well, I hit 80 a month ago with my ToS. The game was super fun for the two months I played it, but I allowed my subscription to lapse on July 25th. I don't have a problem with bugs, exploits and class balance (I leave the PvPers to whine about that).

But I have sworn to my wife that I would never let scheduled raids get in the way of home life, so I'll wait to rejoin the game after a few content patches/expansions. I am patient, and I have a nicely geared ToS waiting for me when I get back.

Farming with a ToS is fun; I could pull the ENTIRE LOWER DEATH CAMP by myself. Money!

I have a guild for AoC, though most of them have switched to Warhammer so not much time is spent in AoC let alone powerleveling or anything. I sorta just want to "finish" the game since every MMO game, Guild Wars, WOW, I have never "finished/completed" and now i have LOTRO, AOC, and WAR lined up to be the next on that list. So if I can finish AoC, which is the easiest to level and play everything at least once, I can work on WAR and LOTRO.

LOTRO isn't an issue, I love that game and will take my time.

Funny thing about people leaving AoC for warhammer is that they are going to find the same thing. Lack of content and balance issues. People got spoiled on wow and they think thats what all MMOs are going to be like from day one, just find one you marginally enjoy and wait around for the fireworks ;).

I never said I was leaving it, just cutting down on AoC to work on Warhammer, until I have done decent amount in both games. It is just hard to pay for both ::)

Oh wow, the last patch might have saved the game for me. They finally added the pvp leveling system, I just got done with an outdoor zurg with 50+ people and it was free for all. That was fun :)

Yea I heard they did a semi-big update. I haven't played since then yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back