Active Desktop Tutorial

hmm i'm not sure where the body command needs to be, or if i do need to move the onload around. matt (or anyone else that can give me a hand), if you have time could you take a look at it? i'm attaching it below, thanks in advance.

skauch, those colors are hot. good job. keep it up.

Making web links open in Opera: links should open in the default browser. You're not using any special code to make a web link open, so they should open in the default web browser. I thought someone already figured out a solution to this; I'm not sure, I only use IE. Sorry guys. The only suggestion I have is setup a exec, VBS that opens Opera and makes it go the URL specified.

Piett, okay, simple fix.

Simply find "ONLOAD". The first one should bring up..

//Calls the init function onload if the browser is ok...
if (bw.bw) onload = newsMenuInit;

Add "//" to the if statement.. i.e.

//Calls the init function onload if the browser is ok...
//if (bw.bw) onload = newsMenuInit;

Copy the "newsMenuInit;" part..

Then go to your <BODY> tag.. looks like this right now..

<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" onLoad="loadFile('c:\\windows\\quicknotes.txt');">

Change that to..

<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" onLoad="loadFile('c:\\windows\\quicknotes.txt'); newsMenuInit;">

There you go. Yeah.

Thanks Matt, but only a little question.

Can i add a quicknote to a menu, like piett did, in dhtml?? If yes, i cant figure how and a little help would be great

You just take the form and place it in the menu, where you want it.

But i don't know where to put it. Here is the code to create a menu on my desktop :

myCoolMenu.makeMenu(name, parent_name, text, link, target, width, height, regImage, overImage, regClass, overClass , align, rows, nolink, onclick, onmouseover, onmouseout)

there is a lot of other thinmg before but its for color and other thing like that.

I assume where TEXT appears is where the link would go?

If so, try putting the <form... tag starting there, all on one line. i.e.

<form... ><textarea...> </textarea></form>

Never hurts to try.

Thanks Matt. it worked great, now i have a little reminder :)

Matt, could you send me your code to put messenger on the desktop please.

heh. I will be adding that to the tutorial soon. How soon, that I do not know?

A wise man once said, always keep them wanting more.

Could you just email it to me :) I really want to ad this to finish my desktop (until a new tutorial comes out). I did a lot of search on other forum to find the code to put MSN on the web.

Thanks

wow matt, thanks a lot. i had wondered if i could just comment out that first onload, but it looked rather important. it works fine now, it's pretty sweet. again, let me thank you for all of the help that you have been giving people, and for anyone that hasn't said it yet: Thank you.

hmm i'm still getting that IE window poping up for a second. if i change the javascript:window.close(); to javascript:void(0); the IE window just stays open with the "Cannot find server" message displayed. do you think that could be because i embeded the code inside of the menu code?

try this Piett, not guaranteeing a fix..
change the href= to href="#"
I doubt that will work, but give it a go.
if that fails, try href="javascript:HALT"
hope one of those works, if not, I will have to code something up.

Can someone tell me what is the link to make a button in the quicklaunch bar that will minimize all the window??

And there is my desktop until Matt create another great tutorial :)

sKaUcH desktop

Hi everyone...

I've been off changing my desktop a little bit..

I have added my first dymanic menu for the websites links. Will soon add it to the other links to save space for other things you (madmatt) put in to your tut. Please give me that Messenger :eek:
I can wait.

Here's my latest desktop look:

skauch, this took some research, but here it is.

Navigate to:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Look for the "Show Desktop" file.

If you do not have it, open Notepad and paste the following code:

Code:
[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3

[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

Save the file as: showdtop.scf

Now you have the file. Simply create a shortcut to it, and set it up following the tutorial.

There you go, enjoy.

Still lookin' good Jason. Keep it up.

hey how do you make transparent backgrounds for the dhtml menu?
like how purplesmurf did his ?

that looks awesome Jason. could i make a suggestion though? get rid of the recycle bin overtop of your AD. it gives it an ugly thick blue line around it, which detracts from all the yummy buisness that you have going on above.

well matt, they didn't work. changing it to href="#" made it launch my desktop in IE, and changing it to "javascript:HALT" gave me the cannot find server message.

skauch: looking good too

Members online

No members online now.

Latest forum posts

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back