Active Desktop Tutorial

Hey guys, I'm gonna need your help again.
I'm trying to recreate the top left portion of this desktop (Roll-over tabs) but I have had no luck so far. I tried using this tutorial, but when i add in the code, such as
Code:
<a onClick="exec('mycomputer.vbs'); return false;" href="javascript:void(0)" style="text-decoration:none">my computer</a>
when I roll over a tab, nothing shows up below, where the my computer link should be.

Does anyone have an idea of how to recreate that roll-over tab menu system for usage in an active desktop?

hmm fraid that i'm not seeing the pic mupp. gateway error and all. i've tried something like that, but i didn't get into it enough to help solve the problem, that or i just gave up.

help with vbs

first off im a n00b to active desktop making so please be gentle :p

everytime i make a new vbs file to run a program i get a box coming up asking me where i would like to move the file, after canceling that twice the program runs.

I have even copied the sample sol.vbs renaming the program(s) involed and they all do the samething

eg

<a onClick="exec('sol.vbs'); return false;" href="java script:void(0)">Launch Solitare</a>

Dim oShell
Set oShell = WScript.CreateObject ("WScript.shell")
oShell.run "sol"
Set oShell = Nothing

This runs without a prob

<a onClick="exec('fxp.vbs'); return false;" href="java script:void(0)">FlashFXP</a>

Dim oShell
Set oShell = WScript.CreateObject ("WScript.shell")
oShell.run "fxp"
Set oShell = Nothing

this and every other file after it gives me the error above :(

All files are in the windows dir too as described in the tutorial

Slightly complicated

So I've really gotten into this AD thing, and I've set it up as a great tool for getting work done (craziness, I know).

What I am trying to do now is slightly more complicated than what I can handle, but I know it isn't really THAT hard... I just hope it is more apparent to others...

I have a Timex watch that can receive pages through skytel. To enter in the URL to send myself a page, this is the format:

http://www.skytel.com/servlet/SendMessage?recipients=pin# *&message=message

I believe that adding another part at the end (the tag name for the send button is "send"), I could simply make a text box on my active desktop that, when clicking a button, would enter a page into the message part of that above address and even send the message for me.

If someone knows how to do this, I would be very grateful. I've followed this thread all the way through, and it has been basically the building blocks of my AD. Thank you all so much.

Regards,
Will

Auto refresh active desktop??

Hey all,

Is there anyway to make my active desktop refresh it's self? I want to make my active desktop auto refresh every day at 12:01 am so that my calendar is on the right day. Last week I thought it was tuesday when it realy was friday because of this. Any ideas?

just add a reresh tag in the header... perhaps refresh all 10 minutes or so... shouldnt be much of a performane issue

Originally posted by dworn
just add a reresh tag in the header... perhaps refresh all 10 minutes or so... shouldnt be much of a performane issue

Ok, can you give me an example of the code required?

try something like this in the header portion of your file

Code:
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="600; url=FILENAMEHERE.XXXX">

if you dont add the URL param then it will just refresh the current page..
eg: <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="600">

maximize internet explorer

I have read through most of this thread.. 35 long pages :( I have seen it mentioned but no solution...

so I ask.. with active desktop is there a way to open internet explorer maximized.

ty in advance.. and I love ad :)

Re: maximize internet explorer

Originally posted by SMlTH
I have read through most of this thread.. 35 long pages :( I have seen it mentioned but no solution...

so I ask.. with active desktop is there a way to open internet explorer maximized.

ty in advance.. and I love ad :)
I have the code!
Here it is:

<html>
<head>
<title>Unbenanntes Dokument</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<script language="JScript">
function ShellExJ(filename,arg,count)
{
var objShell = new ActiveXObject("Shell.Application");
objShell.ShellExecute(filename, arg, "", "open", count);
}
function opencpl(filename)
{
filename= 'C:\\Windows\\system32\\' + filename;
var objShell = new ActiveXObject("Shell.Application");
objShell.ShellExecute(filename, "", "", "cplopen", 1);
}
</script>
</head>
<body bgcolor="c0c0c0">
<a href="javascript:;" target="_self" onClick="javascript: ShellExJ('C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\IEXPLORE.EXE');">Launch IE</a><br>
</body>
</html>

lock/unlock active desktop button

I have just started playing with active desktop so I am constantly adding and removing objects. I find it really annoying having to do this, "right-click>properties>desktop>customise desktop>web> click 'lock desktop items' ", every time I want to add or remove something.
Does anyone know how to create an active desktop link that will automatically lock/unlock desktop items? I would like it as a discrete button hidden in the corner of my screen. This would make my life a lot easier.
Thanks

Cookies

Anyone out there know why cookies don't seem to work in ActiveDesktop pages???

My desktop .html works *perfectly* in InternetExplorer, but the cookies are either not being written or not being read when set as my desktop web page.

Any ideas? Both used the same exact .html code doc and same file path.

-TP

No need to reply to my post, apparently restaring my computer makes it work all of a sudden. Whatever.

-TP

Re: lock/unlock active desktop button

Originally posted by sacred2nite
...I find it really annoying having to do this, "right-click>properties>desktop>customise desktop>web> click 'lock desktop items' ", every time I want to add or remove something...Thanks

Erm...right-click>ActiveDesktop>Lock/Unlock desktop items? Kinda speeds up the process a few steps. :rolleyes:

Execute programs using cascading menus

Hi everyone.

Lately I have been experimenting with Active desktops after reading the tutorial provided by Ntfs.org.

I have had some success with executing programs but I wanted to be able to create a pull-down menu, for example, and when I click on an option (or even a button if I use flash), I want to be able to execute a program on my computer. Until now I have only been able to get the browser to attempt to "open" the program in the browser window as opposed to "execute" the desired program.

Is there any ways to perform this task ?

Note : I am using Xp and I Understand basic scripting but I'm still a Newbie.

Cheers :)

Menus

Thanks for the tips but I'm afraid I've stared at the screen and help files for so long i've lost my mind over all this.

Basically I still cant find the code (let alone create my own) to execute a program on my PC from a drop- down menu. I have seen snippets of code and tried some example but to no avail.
For the option value in the Javascript code I have so far looked at - every example I have seen refers to opening a webpage but not to a local .exe file, it's easy just to put in "http://blah.blah." - but not to create the code for executing a program. ( OF which is beyond my grasp atm).

Creating a link to a .vbs file and executing a program from a link is not a problem - its just getting it to work inside the drop down menu.

Any furthur suggestions ?

Thanks again.

Edit : I had one last go and managed two things.

A: I COULD open the program only because a dialogue box popped up to see if I wanted to "download" or "open" the program, and.. once I had clicked "open"...

B: The remainder of the screen filled up with the IE page "action cancelled..yada yada.." and I had to refresh the desktop to remove it and return the desktop to its original state.

If you have set up your drop-down menu as I will assume you have, in the table you simply have to add an onClick to run your exe command.

as in:

<table>
<tbody>
<tr><td onClick="exec(notepad)">Notepad</td></tr>
</tbody>
</table>

However, this command has to refer to one in a script you have put in the head of your document, or which is in another doc that you have linked to. Find the code that executes programs from either of the two places I mentioned in my previous post, then use that command where I placed "exec(notepad)." If you have not read madmatt's active desktop tutorial or visited Angel333's site that I mentioned above, you are just wasting your time with questions, because the answers are there.

If your trouble is only in getting these things to work with your drop-down menu, and what I mentioned hasn't helped, then let me know.

-TP

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back