a question...

gballard

OSNN Senior Addict
Does anyone know if there is software that can help recover the data off scratched audio cds? I have been doing searches for this kind of software and all I have found is CD X Rescue by 321 Studios.

Not too sure if there are a lot of software around. I use CD Spin Doctor 2 on my Mac, but I haven't seen too many others. You could always try up-ing the laser intensity on your CD-ROM drive to help it read better, but I would not advice that unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Reg said:
Not too sure if there are a lot of software around. I use CD Spin Doctor 2 on my Mac, but I haven't seen too many others. You could always try up-ing the laser intensity on your CD-ROM drive to help it read better, but I would not advice that unless you know exactly what you are doing.

For Audio CD's (Digital Audio Extraction) use
Exact Audio Copy. It will recover almost anything out there.

gballard said:
Does anyone know if there is software that can help recover the data off scratched audio cds? I have been doing searches for this kind of software and all I have found is CD X Rescue by 321 Studios.
well it depends on what kind of scratches you mean. scratches on the bottom can usally be buffed out ... scratches on the top (label side) are very bad as thats the site that holds the data. scratches of this side may have destroyed your data. you could always try copying the cd w/ a program w/ good error detection/correction.

Xie said:
well it depends on what kind of scratches you mean. scratches on the bottom can usally be buffed out ... scratches on the top (label side) are very bad as thats the site that holds the data. scratches of this side may have destroyed your data. you could always try copying the cd w/ a program w/ good error detection/correction.

The top side holds data?...i thought the shiny side held the data...not the side with the label...

Try using toothpaste (preferably Auquafresh), just rub it all around, run it under water to rinse it, and then use a lint free paper towel to dry it. Then just use EAC to rip it.

I had a cd that was so bad that it would'nt even play let alone rip. So I tried the toothpaste method and it made the scratches almost dissapear. And the cd not only ripped without any errors it played liked it was brand new also.

Another thing you can use to clean it with is Brasso. I have'nt tried that yet but I heard from people who have, they say it worked ...

the foil (dye for cdr) is actually closer to the label side. There is more polycarbonate on the read side. I find that using white label, inkjet printable cdr's helps with this. Try reading some of the things in this thread. May help you out. http://www.ntfs.org/forum/showthread.php?t=891

I still suggest you try ripping it with EAC. Might take a while, but you should get a perfect copy if you set it up right.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back