a question...

gballard

OSNN Senior Addict
#1
Does anyone know if there is software that can help recover the data off scratched audio cds? I have been doing searches for this kind of software and all I have found is CD X Rescue by 321 Studios.
 

Reg

eXperienced!
#2
Not too sure if there are a lot of software around. I use CD Spin Doctor 2 on my Mac, but I haven't seen too many others. You could always try up-ing the laser intensity on your CD-ROM drive to help it read better, but I would not advice that unless you know exactly what you are doing.
 

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
#3
Reg said:
Not too sure if there are a lot of software around. I use CD Spin Doctor 2 on my Mac, but I haven't seen too many others. You could always try up-ing the laser intensity on your CD-ROM drive to help it read better, but I would not advice that unless you know exactly what you are doing.
For Audio CD's (Digital Audio Extraction) use
Exact Audio Copy. It will recover almost anything out there.
 

Xie

- geek -
#4
gballard said:
Does anyone know if there is software that can help recover the data off scratched audio cds? I have been doing searches for this kind of software and all I have found is CD X Rescue by 321 Studios.
well it depends on what kind of scratches you mean. scratches on the bottom can usally be buffed out ... scratches on the top (label side) are very bad as thats the site that holds the data. scratches of this side may have destroyed your data. you could always try copying the cd w/ a program w/ good error detection/correction.
 

gballard

OSNN Senior Addict
#6
Xie said:
well it depends on what kind of scratches you mean. scratches on the bottom can usally be buffed out ... scratches on the top (label side) are very bad as thats the site that holds the data. scratches of this side may have destroyed your data. you could always try copying the cd w/ a program w/ good error detection/correction.
The top side holds data?...i thought the shiny side held the data...not the side with the label...
 

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political User
#7
Try using toothpaste (preferably Auquafresh), just rub it all around, run it under water to rinse it, and then use a lint free paper towel to dry it. Then just use EAC to rip it.

I had a cd that was so bad that it would'nt even play let alone rip. So I tried the toothpaste method and it made the scratches almost dissapear. And the cd not only ripped without any errors it played liked it was brand new also.

Another thing you can use to clean it with is Brasso. I have'nt tried that yet but I heard from people who have, they say it worked ...
 

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
#8
the foil (dye for cdr) is actually closer to the label side. There is more polycarbonate on the read side. I find that using white label, inkjet printable cdr's helps with this. Try reading some of the things in this thread. May help you out. http://www.ntfs.org/forum/showthread.php?t=891

I still suggest you try ripping it with EAC. Might take a while, but you should get a perfect copy if you set it up right.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,970
Messages
673,297
Members
89,016
Latest member
Poseeut