A question about processors...

Petros

Thief IV
Re: << A question about processors >>

A 320MB 8800 GTS is just as powerful (more powerful, if overclocked!) than the 640MB. Unless you're running 2048x1536 in Ghost Recon or something, you'd be happier with the 320MB, and it's cheaper.

Shamus MacNoob

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User

A 320MB 8800 GTS is just as powerful (more powerful, if overclocked!) than the 640MB. Unless you're running 2048x1536 in Ghost Recon or something, you'd be happier with the 320MB, and it's cheaper.

Its the same base card but please lets not get ahead of ourselves show me where the 320mb version is more powerful?

I think the 320mb version will be a fantastic buy , great for people who dont have the means to get the real 8800GTS

Petros

Thief IV

Its the same base card but please lets not get ahead of ourselves show me where the 320mb version is more powerful?

I think the 320mb version will be a fantastic buy , great for people who dont have the means to get the real 8800GTS
The key words are "if overclocked" ;) You're absolutely right, though--same base in 320 and 640 MB versions. HUGE performance-per-money ratio on that 8800GTS 320! It will, however, fall behind the 640 at crazy high resolutions, but I recommend it 150%. I just put one in my sister-in-law's new computer and it's a screamer.

Last edited:

dreamworks

--== babyface ==--

The key words are "if overclocked" ;) You're absolutely right, though--same base in 320 and 640 MB versions. HUGE performance-per-money ratio on that 8800GTS 320! It will, however, fall behind the 640 at crazy high resolutions, but I recommend it 150%. I just put one in my sister-in-law's new computer and it's a screamer.

ok .. 8800GTS it is than. :) Thanks for all the feedback guys.

dreamworks

--== babyface ==--

Just before I sign off .. I still need some advise on the below:-

1. PSU -> Planning to use AcBel True Power 500W (Would this be sufficient?)
2. Heat Sink for Intel E6600?

Petros

Thief IV

500W should be OK, but if you can shoot for 550-650 it would be better. Make sure it has at least one PCI-E connection (6-pin).

dreamworks

--== babyface ==--

500W should be OK, but if you can shoot for 550-650 it would be better. Make sure it has at least one PCI-E connection (6-pin).

I'll try to go for 550 ~ 650 .. what about the heat sink? I remember last time I used Zalman or thermaltake .. don't know if this is how you spell it. :mad::mad::mad:

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political User

The stock heatsink is usually fine.
I only have stock.
And with the uber amount of fans in my case, im only at 34 degrees celsius under high load (AMD x2 4600)

My card is the 7900gt ko superclocked - Doesnt really help, because like my 6800gt they stopped making this model...
But i love it, i get 170-250 fps in CSS, its great, only 256mb though - But cheap if u can find it.

And yeah, im thinking 550w, thats what i got.
and runs beautifully

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User

If it is any indication, I have a 7600GT and I run Counterstrike at my Max Resolution 1920x1200 and do not get a hic up.

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political User

If it is any indication, I have a 7600GT and I run Counterstrike at my Max Resolution 1920x1200 and do not get a hic up.
mmm, i use the 7600gt for all my clients in the base models
Since i know it will get the job done well

The 8800 is overkill if u ask me.

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User

How is the 8800 over kill when it is the only GPU on the market that is DX10 compatible?

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political User

Right now i mean...
How many people need DX10 at this very moment.
Id be waiting til mid summer to get it when, like always the price will drop some.

Shamus MacNoob

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
The 8800 is the place to be when you can afford the best you buy the best.

I use stock fan heat sink on my e6600 not a problem 34C idle Case has 2 x 120mm fans one in front one in back and its perfect

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osnnforumtime