A question about processors...

Re: << A question about processors >>

A 320MB 8800 GTS is just as powerful (more powerful, if overclocked!) than the 640MB. Unless you're running 2048x1536 in Ghost Recon or something, you'd be happier with the 320MB, and it's cheaper.

A 320MB 8800 GTS is just as powerful (more powerful, if overclocked!) than the 640MB. Unless you're running 2048x1536 in Ghost Recon or something, you'd be happier with the 320MB, and it's cheaper.

Its the same base card but please lets not get ahead of ourselves show me where the 320mb version is more powerful?

I think the 320mb version will be a fantastic buy , great for people who dont have the means to get the real 8800GTS

Its the same base card but please lets not get ahead of ourselves show me where the 320mb version is more powerful?

I think the 320mb version will be a fantastic buy , great for people who dont have the means to get the real 8800GTS

The key words are "if overclocked" ;) You're absolutely right, though--same base in 320 and 640 MB versions. HUGE performance-per-money ratio on that 8800GTS 320! It will, however, fall behind the 640 at crazy high resolutions, but I recommend it 150%. I just put one in my sister-in-law's new computer and it's a screamer.

Last edited:

The key words are "if overclocked" ;) You're absolutely right, though--same base in 320 and 640 MB versions. HUGE performance-per-money ratio on that 8800GTS 320! It will, however, fall behind the 640 at crazy high resolutions, but I recommend it 150%. I just put one in my sister-in-law's new computer and it's a screamer.

ok .. 8800GTS it is than. :) Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Just before I sign off .. I still need some advise on the below:-

1. PSU -> Planning to use AcBel True Power 500W (Would this be sufficient?)
2. Heat Sink for Intel E6600?

500W should be OK, but if you can shoot for 550-650 it would be better. Make sure it has at least one PCI-E connection (6-pin).

500W should be OK, but if you can shoot for 550-650 it would be better. Make sure it has at least one PCI-E connection (6-pin).

I'll try to go for 550 ~ 650 .. what about the heat sink? I remember last time I used Zalman or thermaltake .. don't know if this is how you spell it. :mad::mad::mad:

The stock heatsink is usually fine.
I only have stock.
And with the uber amount of fans in my case, im only at 34 degrees celsius under high load (AMD x2 4600)

My card is the 7900gt ko superclocked - Doesnt really help, because like my 6800gt they stopped making this model...
But i love it, i get 170-250 fps in CSS, its great, only 256mb though - But cheap if u can find it.

And yeah, im thinking 550w, thats what i got.
and runs beautifully

If it is any indication, I have a 7600GT and I run Counterstrike at my Max Resolution 1920x1200 and do not get a hic up.

If it is any indication, I have a 7600GT and I run Counterstrike at my Max Resolution 1920x1200 and do not get a hic up.
mmm, i use the 7600gt for all my clients in the base models
Since i know it will get the job done well

The 8800 is overkill if u ask me.

How is the 8800 over kill when it is the only GPU on the market that is DX10 compatible?

Right now i mean...
How many people need DX10 at this very moment.
Id be waiting til mid summer to get it when, like always the price will drop some.

The 8800 is the place to be when you can afford the best you buy the best.

I use stock fan heat sink on my e6600 not a problem 34C idle Case has 2 x 120mm fans one in front one in back and its perfect

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back