64 Bit Motherboards

but anyway 64bit athlons are nice :)

Boss was playing ut2k4 ona dual opteron 240 when I got to work this evening :D

Damn smooth.

dual opteron? nice - I mean hell i can see the difference in ut2k4 between mine and my mate's PC and that's just graphics card I can actually run it on Holy Sh!t settings, just doesn't look as good as his lol- Can't wait till I upgrade my PC, finally mine will be the kickass system

Edit: Well good news, according to the Zalmen website it does work on the Neo2 Platinum when not using a zalmen VGA heatpipe cooler! Looks good to me! :D

LordOfLA said:
but anyway 64bit athlons are nice :)

Boss was playing ut2k4 ona dual opteron 240 when I got to work this evening :D

Damn smooth.

I didn't realise ut2k4 supported multithreading...

I dont know if it does but XP does so all XP does is move itself onto the cpu that UT isnt on :)

LordOfLA said:
I dont know if it does but XP does so all XP does is move itself onto the cpu that UT isnt on :)

no I mean if the application is not going to benefit from multi-threading you are not going to see an increase in performance running it on a dual-cpu setup...

the performance level between a single and dual setup should be basically the same for all intents and purposes...

I don't know anything about multi-processor systems but it's got to be said ut2k4 isn't much of a processor sapper anyway - runs quite smoothly on most systems with enough ram + decent graphics card

Moonwraith said:
Well i'll have a looksee, what sort of price is it though? that heatsink alone before buying the fan to go in it is about 30-40 quid

edit:
I know it's a bit silly me asking you if you've read this (me being the one that hasn't even heard of this cooler before) but i thought i'd check - found it rather interesting 7000cu Review

I had a quick lookl - must be an old review since was when HS was new....

You can pick up the Zalman cheaper and it comes with a fanmate controller thingie (£27 or so) probably because no heatpipes.... there's an etailer that ships free for this - lemme know if interested

That'd be excellent, pretty cheap :) I found it £32 on overclockers before delivery, so yeah that'd be cool

[edit] While you're at just out interest - where abouts your order your motherboard from?

Here is link for CPU cooler you may want - there is an earlier 7000 model at the £27 price, but I just saw that would need buying clips for your socket (it is P4 default).

My order is with overclockers.co.uk since you asked.

Hmmmmm well that's cool - just another question, would a socket 940 fan work on a 939 socket (don't know if the shape's different or not) ?

Ta

Anyone thought of the Abit AV8 3rd eye... with the plug in display for board readouts and overclocking on the fly while using games etc ?
Only £85.50 in UK.
Best Socket 939 according to stats.

MSI K8N Neo 2 PLatinum.

Save yourself the hassle of VIA's bugs..

Tweakfiend said:
Best Socket 939 according to stats.

matter of opinion... I had the Abit in mind, but decided third eye was a gimmik and the MSI DOT feature does the same if I want to overclock - plus I have every confidence my MSI may O/C better if I go that way, from what I have read.

(Anyway a done deal for me as I have the MSI board now and am busily applying northbridge heatsink etc etc!)

Gigabyte K8NXP-9 :D :rolleyes:
? Supports AMD Athlon64 FX/ 64 Processor (Socket 939)
? NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra chipset
? PCI-ExpressX16
? 2* PCI-Express, 3* PCI slot
? Dual channel DDR400 with 4 DIMMs, support up to 4GB memory
? Dual Power System (DPS)
? Dual Gigabit LAN (Gigabit Ethernet + 10/100 Connection)
? 4 * Serial ATA II (nFrce4 Ultra)
? 4 * Serial ATA (Silicon Image 3114)
? 2 * Parallel ATA
? 3 IEEE1394b ports (T.I. solution)
? 10 USB 2.0/1.1 ports
? 8-channel AC97 audio with Universal Audio Jack (UAJ) support
? 2 Ultra ATA133 Connectors
? DualBIOS™
? Xpress™ Installation, Xpress™ Recovery, Smart FAN, EasyTune™5
? Bundle GN-WPKG, 802.11g wireless LAN solution

I think with only 3 PCI slots (and that's counting the pci-e) I'd run out of space lol.

The way my savings are going i'll be able to wait for the MSI K8N Neo4 :D

The Gigabyte board and the MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum motherboards for the 939s are the best. At least if you plan on doing some overclocking. They are rock solid if that's not a big issue for you. The Asus A8V is pretty nice too. Stable, but isn't as good for overclocking as the NF3 boards. Also, some information on the NF4 boards, is that all it will really bring to your options is PCI-E which hasn't proven to be that much better then AGP just yet.

I can't remember if DDR2 is included with the NF4 design, but I hope not because that would mean that they have 2 things that are added that aren't of full use just yet.

I am nearly happy with my Neo2 board - it certainly does overclock quite nicely with the Ballistix RAM I have in there - been dead stable for me with FSB upped from 200 to 210 no problems and only a couple of degrees more heat under load - cranking out at 2360 odd Mhz which is OK for my 3500, but probably leaves a little scope for more if I would like to test it....

Only problem is BIOS and mobo drivers seem a little "young" and are giving me issues with large HD's - this is on the forums though so hopefully will get fixed in future driver revisions...

anyone knows if the ASUS A8N-SLI is better or the Gigabyte GA K8NXP-SLI ?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back