Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Microsoft on Friday told BetaNews it had no plans to use the "Vista" moniker for its next generation Windows Server product line, despite choosing the name for its Longhorn client. For now, Microsoft will continue using Longhorn Server for a Beta 1 release, which is due in the coming weeks.

"While we are not announcing the name for Longhorn Server at this time, we can tell you that the current plan is to follow the existing naming convention of Windows Server 2003," a Microsoft spokesperson told BetaNews. Windows Vista was announced Friday, alongside a video promoting the name.
http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_No_Vista_for_Windows_Server/1122055878

They will probably name it something stupid like "Windows Pony Server", or maybe even "Wildfire" ..

Johnny said:
They will probably name it something stupid like "Windows Pony Server", or maybe even "Wildfire" ..
You must have missed this part:
"the current plan is to follow the existing naming convention of Windows Server 2003"

o.k I did miss that one, thanx net and electric ..

Johnny said:
o.k I did miss that one, thanx net and electric ..
Electric?
rofl.gif

With a lot of the origonal parts of Longhorn stripped out to eventually launch it a couple of years late , I am not suprised they renamed it :)

There is not enough that is new in it to persuade me to switch from XP.
When I switched from ME (which was dire) it was certainly worth it.
Since then I also use SuSe 9.2Pro so XP is only used for gaming now.

how about windows hexp lol (i know that was lame)

Why do people have to spell MS "M$" EVERY SINGLE TIME?! WHY? WHY? WHY?

What does it do?

[/rant]

Vista sounds good to me, and it looks pretty damns weet also

Took me a few hours to get used to the name but when I thought about how the OS is going to look and feel visually, the name seemed very fitting for it. Good choice.

Someone on the radio heard the name of the new Windows version and it reminded him of the Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser of the 1960-1970's. The great feature of this station wagon was the little windows around the roof in the back of the car. The radio person was wondering if the name had any relationship to these windows.

I looked around the web and this was the best picture I could find.

1972 vista cruiser.jpg

thats pretty funny, maybe bill gates had one before he struck it big?

Entire article here

"Today, we live in a world of 'more' -- more information, more ways to communicate, more things to do, more opportunities -- and at the same time, more responsibilities. Increasingly, we all turn to our PCs to help us with that," a Microsoft spokesperson said. "At the end of the day, what you're after is a way to break through all the clutter to focus on what you want to focus on, what you need to do. What you're trying to get to is your own personal Vista -- whether that is trying to organize photos, or trying to find a file or trying to connect and collaborate with a number of people electronically."

I think the name Vista makes sense when your main money maker is a product called Windows. The two fit well together, though with all the new features stripped out in order to meet launch I don't see how the name couldn't also be slapped on XP. :p

i dont really like the name just yet. im sure once microsoft starts their marketing blitz we will warm up to it.

i wonder what song will be used in the commercials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back