Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

celticfan11

OSNN Senior Addict
http://www.microsoft.com/winme/0507/25234/Win_Name_MBR.asx

Redmond (WA) - A brief video message published by Microsoft on Friday revealed the official name of Microsoft next consumer operating system: Longhorn will be called "Windows Vista". The first beta of the software is scheduled to be released on August 3.

Thoughts and comments on the name?

I do not like it, but im sure it will grow on me.

After watching that clip, I....I....I just don't know what to say. I think this is the stupidest thing ever, and I think the name is horrible. I don't understand why making the switch, at all.

Windows Vista, clear, connected, confident. Whatever the heck that is, how do CCC relate to Vista more than Longhorn?

But then again, XP, while in beta, was called Whistler I believe. So who knows if even that name will stick.

I'm sure it will grow on me in time, but it is just a shock. Where was that conference, I wanna be there with a green t-shirt and clap in the audience :)

Vista sounds a bit dry...but my main comment is why does M$ have such goofy
presentations? Im just waiting to see how many security updates "vista" will have when its officially released..or BSOD to that matter....:laugh:

tdinc said:
Vista sounds a bit dry...but my main comment is why does M$ have such goofy
presentations? Im just waiting to see how many security updates "vista" will have when its officially released..or BSOD to that matter....:laugh:

Yeah, and that's sick. Why can't we view the whole presentation? I doubt allllll those people packed in for a stupid 30 second video clip. Show me the goods!

Man, does this mean I have to change my Avatar? :)

I was expecting another short and sweet two-letter acronym like XP (eXPerience), so this came as a not-so-pleasant surprise to me yesterday.

It's already starting to grow on me though. Definitely a better final name than Longhorn (at least Vista has something to do with windows), but I have to admit, I liked XP better right from the start. :)

kcnychief said:
Where was that conference, I wanna be there with a green t-shirt and clap in the audience :)
It was in Atlanta. They were all Microsoft's sales people there in the audience.

tdinc said:
Im just waiting to see how many security updates "vista" will have when its officially released..or BSOD to that matter....:laugh:
Come on now. Every OS has regular security updates...even Mac OS, Linux and FreeBSD. Don't expect that to change anytime soon.
And you still get BSOD's (known as STOP errors in NT-based systems, btw) on XP? :eek:

WinVista_v_Web.jpg

:)

I can't wait! I love Microsoft.

Yo NetRyder, how are you so connected?

Throw a dog a bone here :)

That picture, is just wrong. If they are going to crush my dreams *sniff, sniff, tear, tear* I want a COOLER logo for the new Windows.

Nice find though NetRyder, good post on the logo :)

I'll stick with my WIN2K3 Server icon for now.

NetRyder said:
Come on now. Every OS has regular security updates...even Mac OS, Linux and FreeBSD. Don't expect that to change anytime soon.
And you still get BSOD's (known as STOP errors in NT-based systems, btw) on XP? :eek:

I was just speaking in general. :)

I know that XP has come a long way in maintaining a stable OS. and with every new version of windows there are going to be issues. I just hope & wish M$ will make vista more reason to switch over:)

I like Longhorn better, I agree with tdinc that Vista sounds dry.

The logo also looks close to the XP windows logo. I think it should be changed like kcnychief said :p

vista

vis·ta [ víst? ] (plural vis·tas)
noun

1. scenic view: a scenic or panoramic view

2. view seen through narrow opening: a view seen through a long narrow opening, e.g. between rows of trees or buildings

3. mental picture: a mental picture covering a wide range of objects or a long succession of events in the past or future
open up vistas of expansion into hitherto untapped markets

[Mid-17th century. < Italian, "view" < past participle of vedere "see" < Latin videre]

Encarta / Dictionary

tdinc said:
I was just speaking in general. :)

I know that XP has come a long way in maintaining a stable OS. and with every new version of windows there are going to be issues. I just hope & wish M$ will make vista more reason to switch over:)

I agree, to an extent. But from what I have read, I think the XP to Vista(it's quicker to type at least) is similar to the 98SE to XP switch.

And oh sweet lord, XP is the MOST reliable M$ OS by far, you can't even knock that.

My argument on the patches that have come out is because M$ is the most attacked. It has the biggest marketshare, therefore people work the hardest to find exploits. IMO....

NetRyder said:
Ooh...errr...what? ;)

Like, how do you get to know about conferences, attend them, etc.

I want inside scoop info!

madmatt said:
vista

vis·ta [ víst? ] (plural vis·tas)
noun

1. scenic view: a scenic or panoramic view

2. view seen through narrow opening: a view seen through a long narrow opening, e.g. between rows of trees or buildings

3. mental picture: a mental picture covering a wide range of objects or a long succession of events in the past or future
open up vistas of expansion into hitherto untapped markets

[Mid-17th century. < Italian, "view" < past participle of vedere "see" < Latin videre]

Encarta / Dictionary

Hmmm, since it is WindowS, shouldn't it be Windows Vistas? Hahaha since it's plural?

kcnychief said:
...similar to the 98SE to XP switch.

98SE to ME

Then it died. NT Technology took over (NT, 2000, XP).

madmatt said:
98SE to ME

Then it died. NT Technology took over (NT, 2000, XP).

Well, yeah. What I meant really was IMO, the XP to Vista switch is similar to the VAST difference. Like, 98SE to XP is a HUGE difference/upgrade. I think most people skipped over ME, and those who didn't , wow I feel sorry for you.

I would think that 98 to XP is probably just slightly a more common upgrade path than 2k to XP, maybe in 51/49 ratio. Maybe....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back