Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
kcnychief said:
Like, how do you get to know about conferences, attend them, etc.

I want inside scoop info!

Cause Nets is ubercool and supersmart. That's why. He knows Bill on a first name basis.

Heeter

ACTUALLY. it was not atlanta but thailand, and god damnit, but i cannot find the news article i read that in today to back it up, i either read it on the bbc news site or abc news site.

lancer said:
ACTUALLY. it was not atlanta but thailand, and god damnit, but i cannot find the news article i read that in today to back it up, i either read it on the bbc news site or abc news site.
They were wrong then. The PressPass page was just updated with the info:

Brian Valentine, Senior Vice President, Windows Core Operating System Division and Kevin Johnson, Group Vice President, Worldwide Sales, Marketing and Services announce Windows Vista at the Microsoft Global Business Conference (MGB) in Atlanta, Ga., on Friday, July 22, 2005.

possibly, as i cant remember where i read it i'll defer to your infinite wisdom oh master overseer :)

lancer said:
possibly, as i cant remember where i read it i'll defer to your infinite wisdom oh master overseer :)
Hahaha, well...you can't argue with an official press release now, can you? :D

Vista is the name of the community I live in, so yeah, it sounds pretty weird. :rolleyes: Longhorn sounds "cooler" than Vista, though.

Hsn said:
Vista is the name of the community I live in, so yeah, it sounds pretty weird. :rolleyes: Longhorn sounds "cooler" than Vista, though.

Hmm...I live in Springfield. I'm going to release a version of Windows called

Microsoft Springfield!

Vista.. VISTA....vista....vIsTa.......?

My initial reaction___ YUCK! I guess it will grow and it doesn't really matter. I agree with Admiral Michael on this one and like Longhorn much better. I also would of thought it would of been an acronym like NetRyder mentioned. By the way NetRyder have you heard how many bugs they are down to. I didn't see anything over at Paul's site.

napalmnthemorning said:
By the way NetRyder have you heard how many bugs they are down to. I didn't see anything over at Paul's site.
I don't really know, and with the number of teams involved in the overall project, it's difficult to get a count from anyone I know.
Are you talking about beta 1 blockers, or bugs that need to be resolved by RTM, by the way? If you're talking about beta 1 blockers, I'd imagine the number would be pretty low by now, given the official projected date of August 3rd.

I am wondering how long it will be before M$ starts to force people to switch to "Vista". I think the name is stupid, they should have thought of a better one. Maybe even had a contest or something. You would think that since some of the smartest people in the world work for M$ they could think of a better one.

Anyhow, I will be getting it as soon as it comes out. I can't wait. My main concern is the incompatibilities they will have. Similar to what it was like when XP came out. Also not to mention the 60 critical updates they had in the first week of release alone.

And --- I LOVE MICROSOFT also. If I could just make a profit off their stock I would be happy lol ..

NetRyder said:
Thank God for Dave Cutler. :D

LMFAO

Quote taken form IRC

"I'm gonna have it dual boot to Windoes ME, so if the police get in I can boot to it and they will be like "WTF???" not even worth it"

ME was a turd.

I was on for XP Beta, and some of the wierd issues caused me to rethink the beta testing for free. No thanks. I still like my halfway hacked XP beta though, it runs quicker and identifies as Pro in many areas.

And as for hte name, most of us are not idiots like the majority of people who use a PC and "Vista" inspires great things in minds. I just hope it delivers, but from the sound of it, it will be a bloated piece, and have many features for the few and few features for the many.

But then again, what do I know.:dead:

Vista? Wtf...I know it'll grow on me, but for now...*barf*
So if I translate from spanish, it would be "Windows View". Que mierda lol.
I liked Longhorn better *runs*

NetRyder said:
Are you talking about beta 1 blockers, or bugs that need to be resolved by RTM, by the way? If you're talking about beta 1 blockers, I'd imagine the number would be pretty low by now, given the official projected date of August 3rd.

I was thinking of beta 1 NR.

By the way. After I first read this news today and went out of town, ran a couple miles and then starting thinking some more about "Vista".. I've become more angry about such a nasty name. Then I picked up the phone book and looked up how many apartments, suburban housing projects and businesses had the name "vista" in it. Over 15 just in my googy city of 200,000. Holy Cow is it too late to start up a petition. Yuck again. I'm sorry guys, that name just really sucks.

Well been playing and learning about it all day and I am really looking forward to beta1's release so I can tell you some of what I learnt, most of today's stuff was under nda, but when they brought the xbox 360 and let us play with that for a little while, that wasn't :D

Electronic Punk said:
Well been playing and learning about it all day and I am really looking forward to beta1's release so I can tell you some of what I learnt, most of today's stuff was under nda, but when they brought the xbox 360 and let us play with that for a little while, that wasn't :D

What was your initial reaction to the name EP. Be honest now you won't hurt your buddies feelings at MS.

New Windows Vista logo :laugh:

vw.jpg

Last edited:
Well Bob from Activewin told us he was about to post it first (having checked Paul Therrots personal blog) then went for a shower. meanwhile alot of us were sat in Ryan from bink.nu's hotel room as he has wireless and the lot of us - steve from tweakxp - neobond from neowin - bink from bink and I was the first to look at whois.net and find that mswindowsvista.us was owned by ms. We all thought Ahh!! :eek: -- at dinner ms were obviously trying to play it down poorly, tho we should have taken their bet.

Over the day it has grown on me and half the guys at ms kept saying longhorn which means that they have to now pay 25c each time they do :D, its pretty cool. Windows 7 was one of the potential names apparently.

It has grown on me already, I also have the last ever Longhorn freebies and the first ever Vista freebies (fresh from fedex) so am happy (hat and a cool poster that they had only just got round the building)

Anyway, I won't say too much more as it is all on a very fine line, but I will hopefully have some big post to make once beta1 is released to testers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back