War on Iraq

Originally posted by ZAnwar
Now why would you attack Syria?

I don't think we will attack Syria (and I hope we don't), but last I heard they are being accused of granting asylum to Iraqi officials... is that right? I got the impression that we are going to treat the situation in the same way as with Cuba.

Originally posted by Octopus
I believe that Israel is pushing bush into this to stop supporting Hizb Allah and the palestinian groups
Oh what a wonderful world you live in :rolleyes:
To be honest Israel cant push anyone to do anything. Israel does as they are told, and in return gets money.
and trust me that Syria isn't the tinng Israel worries about atm. seince Israel left south lebanon, except for occasional kidnapings and infiltrations and constant AA fire, the border is pretty quite (oh yea, and occasional paint-ball attacks on Israeli outposts :headshake:).

Attack Syria - <sharp intake of breath> ?

The extra military build up required for such a feat would give the Syrians plenty of warning, plenty of time to prepare. The cost to both sides would be extremely high.

I also doubt there would be any kind of international support for this move unless some startling evidence was to be revealed. And whatever it was would have to be a damned sight more convincing than what we have seen in relation to Iraq.

Like others have said I don't think other Arab countries would stay out of the conflict - they were prepared to sit by with Iraq but Syria...

brrrrrrrrrr

Mubbers

iraq invaded another country... rightly or wrongly... that is debateable but they were engaged in open war and defeated.. and un resolutions levied against them...

syria has had no such problems.. the worst thing it is accused of is providing a sort of highway or a channel through which terrorists flow through.. but there are no sanctions existing or any resolutions outstanding...

please also note that THOUGH cuba is not regarded highly by the us... cuba itself has never done anything against any country.. it is quite the contrary... ie... bay of pigs :)

sanctions v/s syria are also a little useless considering it will likely be supported by many of the other islamic states in the region..

also please note that just because the USA says a country is on it's terrorist list.. it does not mean the country is a terrorist nation... it just means it idealogy differs from that of the US.. and that it may or may not pose a threat to the us...

and benny is pretty much correct... israel is given far too much credit for its authority over the US... and also for its influence in the region and is unfairly blamed @ times...

there is paranoia all around...

Originally posted by Benny
Oh what a wonderful world you live in :rolleyes:
To be honest Israel cant push anyone to do anything. Israel does as they are told, and in return gets money.
and trust me that Syria isn't the tinng Israel worries about atm. seince Israel left south lebanon, except for occasional kidnapings and infiltrations and constant AA fire, the border is pretty quite (oh yea, and occasional paint-ball attacks on Israeli outposts :headshake:).

the jewish lobby in washington is second to none ...

Originally posted by Burpster
the jewish lobby in washington is second to none ...

hmm... I am sure the cuban lobby gives em a run for their money :)

Concerning attackin Syria.IF they harbor terrorists.IF they are a "safe" haven for terrorists.IF they give aide and comfort to terrorists and IF they actively promote terrorism then YES we should become involved militarily.
I don't believe the war on terrorism is ALL about Saddam.Saddam was just a battle in the war on terrorism.In all of the arab world Saddam was the "greatest" military power.And we defeated him faster than it took Janet Reno to take the Dividian compound in Waco ,Texas.(50+ days)And I don't think that anybody came running out of there cheering and applauding what Janet Reno had done there.
No one in the arab world gives a rats behind about the Iraqi's(even w/a brutal dictator) or the Palestinians.What they hate is christians and jews,pure and simple.
Iraq (Saddam) was counted as part of the axis of evil.Anybody notice how N.Korea has all of a sudden decided it might be ok to have"talks"now?
So if Syria wants to send homicide bombers at us,fine.Send them all, so we don't have to go look for them.And if you think that the rest of the arab world is goin to defend Syria,think again.Saddam was baddest and meanest boogie-man on the block,and he's probably pushin up daisys right about now. Casualties? Yeah...for them.So if they want to leave their be-hinies hangin in the breeze,fine.But they might get spanked.We finally got somebody who says what they mean and means what they say.That obviously excludes the UN and Koffi Annon. :cool:

Originally posted by kitct
Concerning attackin Syria.IF they harbor terrorists.IF they are a "safe" haven for terrorists.IF they give aide and comfort to terrorists and IF they actively promote terrorism then YES we should become involved militarily.
I don't believe the war on terrorism is ALL about Saddam.Saddam was just a battle in the war on terrorism.In all of the arab world Saddam was the "greatest" military power.And we defeated him faster than it took Janet Reno to take the Dividian compound in Waco ,Texas.(50+ days)And I don't think that anybody came running out of there cheering and applauding what Janet Reno had done there.
No one in the arab world gives a rats behind about the Iraqi's(even w/a brutal dictator) or the Palestinians.What they hate is christians and jews,pure and simple.
Iraq (Saddam) was counted as part of the axis of evil.Anybody notice how N.Korea has all of a sudden decided it might be ok to have"talks"now?
So if Syria wants to send homicide bombers at us,fine.Send them all, so we don't have to go look for them.And if you think that the rest of the arab world is goin to defend Syria,think again.Saddam was baddest and meanest boogie-man on the block,and he's probably pushin up daisys right about now. Casualties? Yeah...for them.So if they want to leave their be-hinies hangin in the breeze,fine.But they might get spanked.We finally got somebody who says what they mean and means what they say.That obviously excludes the UN and Koffi Annon. :cool:

you are oversimplifying and perhaps not stating the situations in the correct context...

WE define the word terrorist and hence WE have the right to launch an attack on any nation we believe is not conforming to OUR way of life? that is highly presumptious on our part if we are indeed going to do something like this..

north korea.. lots of people have spent a lot of time trying to defuse the situation there... even if north korea is in violation of the cease fire agreements with south korea as part of the armstice... if the same amount of time and effort and restraint had been excercised in iraq... we would not have the responsibility of rebuilding the nation or watching the civilian and historical casualties of the war...

there are plenty of nations which care about iraqis and palestine... notice how most of the proposed resolutions in the UN to push forth some sort of agreement are normally opposed by 2 nations... the US and israel.. that should say something...

arabs stick together and they do care about the plight of the palestinians and iraqi's... it is ignorant to say that they are NOT being helped or will not be helped...

let me put forth the example of john walker lindh... a taliban member... a terrorist by definition but look @ his treatment... compared to those others @ gitmo.. rather different isn't it ?

and because he supports terrorism... ergo the US supports terrorism ? you see where I am going with this? just because some members of a country choose to follow a certain path to display their loyalties or beliefs... the whole country cannot be held responsible...

unfortunately this happens time and again... ie Libya...

syria has not violated any resolutions per se... except for allegedly providing banned materials (ie munitions et al) to iraq over the past 12 years... note that there are AMERICAN companies as well as those from other countries which have also violated the resolutions... do we bomb ourselves therefore ?

this war on terrorism is a farce... we SETUP or SUPPORTED most of these so called axis of evil places... hence there is a root... our rather retarded foreign policy of yesteryears... its now jumped up and bit us in the hiney... and we are none too happy so we are going on a little rampage... beating up all the countries we know can't fight back... it would seem...

iraq/libya/iran... what resistance can they offer?... its not even close...

go after north korea and possible nuclear weapons and you have a different scenario... much more different still once china decides to get involved... remember vietnam ? chinese support for the communist north ?

also... all these 'evil countries' and 'axis of evil' are american terms and definitions... not a world wide thing...

if syria is offering 'moral' support to the hezbollah and palestinians... how is that any different from pakistans support for islamic militants in kashmir whom they openly claim to support with 'moral' support... ? other than the fact that pakistan happens to be a US ally...

and what of israel ?

the war crimes of the israelis and palestinians is well documented... they are both about as bad as the other... just our media tends to pay extra attention to the suicide bombings... which are a fairly recent occurence...

this is not really a question of jews and christians... prior to 1948... christians were the largest persecutors of the jewish population... how conveniently that is forgotten :(

as far as saying what he means and meaning what he says... I sure hope you have a job and can afford to pay for the deficits we will be incurring as a result of our any further protractions in the war with iraq and any expansion of the war... be a good tax payer... your money is needed to support the war :)

Originally posted by Sazar
and what of israel ?

the war crimes of the israelis and palestinians is well documented... they are both about as bad as the other... just our media tends to pay extra attention to the suicide bombings... which are a fairly recent occurence...

this is not really a question of jews and christians... prior to 1948... christians were the largest persecutors of the jewish population... how conveniently that is forgotten :(
ummmm, mmkay.
sadly enough, we have a real war over here.
one we couldn't avoid by not doing nothing.
one we cant solve by just bombing the crap out of stuff.
don't even compare the two.

It's possible that sanctions will have the desired effect on Syria.

Will these be UN backed sanctions?

We now have a clear path from sanctions to war - but will the US choose to wait 12 years before giving up on sanctions and resorting to war?

Muncher

Originally posted by Muncher

We now have a clear path from sanctions to war - but will the US choose to wait 12 years before giving up on sanctions and resorting to war?

Muncher

Afraid the only thing that the UN backs is takin the American greenback,by the truckload and then complainin that its not enough.

Other news.

Saddam's missing billions and link to al-Qaida
Guardian - UK, by Julian Borger

Original Article

Posted By:Magneto, 4/16/2003 4:18:22 AM

In the days before the fall of Baghdad, and the explosion of looting on the streets of the capital, a far more damaging form of looting was already under way as Iraqi bank accounts were ransacked and millions of dollars were transferred into private accounts abroad, Middle Eastern banking sources said yesterday.

Link to link: http://www.lucianne.com/threads2.asp?artnum=32126

The butcher of Baghdad will apparently always be defended by the left.He's such an "angel" compared to our pres.More good news for the defenders of the butcher: http://www.lucianne.com/threads2.asp?artnum=32086

Originally posted by Muncher

Muncher

I didn't know cats were interested in politics.

Cat. :p

Afraid the only thing that the UN backs is takin the American greenback,by the truckload and then complainin that its not enough.
Urmm other countries pay money to the UN as well. Also the UN had to practically beat a few years dues out of the US a few years ago.

Originally Posted by kitct
Urmm what have they done again? Oh harbor potential terrorists, and all those Militia groups in the US cant be perceived the same way?
So basically the US wants Sanctions imposed on Syria, because it isnt 100% politically friendly to the US?

when I grew up I put away childish things
I am going to go with my adolescent analogy again this will prob piss some people off
Just about every other country has put away their childish things. The scale of devastation in war, has only been increased by the US (the young one, a smart yet not completely disciplined child, or adolescent). Nuclear weapons, a lot of chemical weapons and thing like that. It then armed a few of its Gang members, this was mainly to forward their own interests, but, one could say that they have mis-treated some of its friends.

I feel that the US needs to humble itself, it needs to heal, and it needs to learn to forgive.
Many times it has been said that an Advanced race is by definition "non-hostile". We need to remove this "hostile atmosphere" and rise to be an "Advanced Race". The persuit or Knowledge and science for the proliferation of mankind, not the destruction of it.
I believe that mankind is on the right path to becoming an Advanced race, but we have stumbled on the twisting and turning road to that goal.

Originally posted by Geffy
Urmm other countries pay money to the UN as well. Also the UN had to practically beat a few years dues out of the US a few years ago.

Urmm what have they done again? Oh harbor potential terrorists, and all those Militia groups in the US cant be perceived the same way?
So basically the US wants Sanctions imposed on Syria, because it isnt 100% politically friendly to the US?

when I grew up I put away childish things
I am going to go with my adolescent analogy again this will prob piss some people off
Just about every other country has put away their childish things. The scale of devastation in war, has only been increased by the US (the young one, a smart yet not completely disciplined child, or adolescent). Nuclear weapons, a lot of chemical weapons and thing like that. It then armed a few of its Gang members, this was mainly to forward their own interests, but, one could say that they have mis-treated some of its friends.

I feel that the US needs to humble itself, it needs to heal, and it needs to learn to forgive.
Many times it has been said that an Advanced race is by definition "non-hostile". We need to remove this "hostile atmosphere" and rise to be an "Advanced Race". The persuit or Knowledge and science for the proliferation of mankind, not the destruction of it.
I believe that mankind is on the right path to becoming an Advanced race, but we have stumbled on the twisting and turning road to that goal.

/me thinks geffy has been watching a lot of Star Trek lately...

This thread is just one big tribute to xenophobia and blind patriotism.

This thread is just one big tribute to xenophobia and blind patriotism.

I quite liked xenophon... and xanthipus (sp?)... interesting characters the 2 of em...

xanthippus.

I thought about it... but couldn't figure out if there were 2 t's or 2 p's :D

yah... xanthippus... rome's pain in da patootie... or should I say regulus' ?

i hope im wrong by thinking/saying this...

but I think the war over saddam is over waaaay too quick, and I cant help but think that he's gone off to lick his wounds and plan a huge attack of revenge. I could be wrong (I hope I'm wrong)... but it seems a little strange that a guy who didnt seem to care that the US and UK were against him could let the war end so soon.

I wonder how many more wars we're going to have over in Iraq?? I hope this is the last one tho tbh.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back