The "pencil" trick!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pok_pok_911

go the AMD!!!
ive heard about the "pencil" trick but have never seen a forum on how to do it they all are using epoxy where do i find how to overclock using a pencil!

Any ideas?
thanks

AMD 2600+
768mb RAM
ATI 9600 pro

oh and what does it do! how much does it change it by?
sorry bout being a bit of a noOb!

the pencil trick works on other things like volt modding graphics cards as well. It's not really the best thing to do unless you are 100 percent sure what to do and get the info from someone is also 100 percent sure...

and that avatar pok pok is about to give me a seizure

That does not work on newer XP CPU's so what you have to do on newer ones is a pin mod. Do a search for "pin mod" and you should find some info on how to do it.

Just a note, this was used on older Athlon & Duron CPUs. Not what you have now. You should be able to tweak the FSB and/or multiplier on the motherboard, if the motherboard is capable of it.

It only works on the very, old original Athlons (not on XP, not on Barton). Then with the faster Athlons you had to use conductive paint (rear defogger repair kits, PCB repair pen, etc.).

When the first XPs and Bartons came out you did not have to unlock them. The latter XPs and Bartons could not be unlocked with any method. ( I got stuck with a Barton that will not unlock.)

Then there was the jumper wire between 2 pins on the socket trick. Again that does not work on my Barton.

That leaves you with overclocking the FSB which might give you 10-15% depending on the type and build of Athlon you have. Make surte you can change your FSB independently of the AGP clcok or you can toast a video card.

ok guys thanks for that i know how to do the pencil but too bad i have a AMD 2600+!!! damn o well have fun with my avatar! lol!

I beileve te pen trick still works you justhave to take a scalpel to the chip first.

I thought the pencil trick was something women do to tell if they need bras or not. Guess my mind's in the gutter.

Yeah, if you don't know what you're doing then I don't suggest actually doing it. The wire mod and pin mod is tricky sometimes. The easiest way to do it is to take a piece of wiring, strip one of the singular strands from that wire, and cut it short I'd say about 10mm. Then you check for the pin mod somewhere on a site and what it needs to connect too, there should be a reverse pin mod also. That's where you put it in the sockets instead of wrapping around the pins. The Socket one is the absolute easiest.

Actually if a woman fails the pen test it's too late to worry about wearing the Bra. Time and gravity are harsh.

You all do know the pencil trick was just to bypass the clock lock on the really old Athlons and nothing more. It was solely for overclocking purposes and cannot magically make your chip faster just by putting some lead between some connections and then not doing anything. It's pretty pointless to overclock but I'll get on that later if someone really wants to hear my rant. :)

Weasel said:
It's pretty pointless to overclock but I'll get on that later if someone really wants to hear my rant. :)

It's pointless to get more for your money? Ahhh I see. So I should spend another $500 on different processor that I can get with the processor I have now.

I just saved myself $500 and I have a more powerful processor then what I paid for. To me, that's just the first point.

$500? What are you buying, a brand new Opteron? Why do people always feel the need to buy the latest and greatest bleeding-edge hardware when something like a Barton or Sempron would be perfect and a lot cheaper? "It makes the games run better" Alright, but how much faster if you docked the proc down a few hundred megahertz? Not much. Worst case scenario, you have to buy a new proc, motherboard, and ram which I can't see totalling $500 unless, like previously stated, you bought the latest bleeding-edge hardware or a crapload of ram.

Here is what I'm referring too. If I were to buy my processor now, it would cost me: $239 for the AMD64 3200 939 90nm. Now, my processor is presently overclocked to 2.4ghz as opposed to it's stock 2.0ghz. At 2.4ghz I'd be spending $630 on the AMD64 3800 939 chip. So by overclocking I would have saved myself $400 (roughly). Not too bad. Now since my Powersupply isn't able to handle everything properly, I have a drive and 3 case fans that are disconnected to make sure my system has enough power to be stable. If I had a better powersupply which is part of my upcoming upgrade, I could go to 2.6ghz or higher. That would make my processor the same speed as the AMD64 4000. Which is currently priced at $719. That's pretty close to the $500 marker.

Now instead of handing over $719 for a processor which will become outdated within the next few months. I was able to save myself nearly $500 by purchasing a lower level processor and overclocking. Now that's just the money reason.

As far as practical use. With a higher speed, I can launch programs faster, extract and encode files faster. Sure, the difference is only a matter of seconds. A minute tops. But it's satisfying to know I have that extra speed in there.

For lifespan, Instead of my processor becoming a lower level processor as newer programs come out, my processor will give me that much extra time where it can run and utilize those programs for me to move onto my next upgrade.

I don't condone the purchase of the latest and greatest processors and technology. Any true overclocker rarely does. You wouldn't be overclocking if you did. Not saying that the latest and greatest can't be overclocked. But a lot of overclockers look at overclocking as a way of achieving the latest and greatest without breaking your bank account. Whereas other overclockers like to break their bank account to achieve what is so commonly refered to as... the E-Penis factor. Breaking benchmarks with latest and greatest overclocks. I find that to be assinine.

o man thats deep lol well hope you dont go and blow the crap out your computer, having said that you are getting sheite more power out of that wish i new how to do that easily im too scared to blow my comp up coz i will have to pay up! o well have fun over clocking hope all goes well with it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back