The Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird discussion (Part 3)

I was having a problem with Thunderbird using all resources before, never really fixed it. I have noticed that, everything works fine and well for awhile. I leave my Thunderbird open, let it update and check new mail by itself, cause I'm on and off the computer all day.

I'm not sure exactly how long it takes, but after awhile, maybe a day or something like that, if I shut it down, everything runs slow, and I have to exit the process in the Task Manager.

I don't get it, what's going on with it?

Bman™ said:
I was having a problem with Thunderbird using all resources ....
I've had that once - in like a year of using Tbird. I was amazed at first because I expected Ffox's infamous memory leak and, no, it was Tbird. Sometimes these things happen - they can be hard to pinpoint and open source makes them tough to fix too. Best you can do is try to give feedback to development team.

Yea, I was afraid of that one. I guess it's not the big of a problem, cause it's not all the time, and all I have to do is end the process, but still.

I haven't found a good spell checker for firefox, you could use the extension IEview and use that spellchecker lol

I have been asking about my "process problem" with Thunderbird, which noone has found an answer. I think I might have found it, I was on the mozillazine forums, and told them about my problem, they said I need to Compact my folders (accounts). I never knew that, and seems to be running and exiting better now.

For those who don't know how, or anything about it check it out...

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders

I'd use Tab Mix Plus, gives more options with the tabs, and saves sessions if needed.

I'm using Google Calander Notifier, and it was working great for 2 days, but now it just says error beside the icon, and dosen't tell me about my stuff?

Anyone else having this problem, got a solution?

Bman™ said:
I'm using Google Calander Notifier, and it was working great for 2 days, but now it just says error beside the icon, and dosen't tell me about my stuff?

Anyone else having this problem, got a solution?

Hey Bman, I found this on digg dot com forums. Now it's not exactly what is going wrong with yours but the recommended fix could possibly work.

Error/problem
I tried to install it but got this error message: "Google Calendar Notifier 1.1 could not be installed because it is not compatible with Firefox 1.5.0.2. (Google Calendar Notifier 1.1 will only work with Firefox versions from 1.5 to 1.5.0.*)"

I don't understand it because I do have Firefox 1.5.0.2 and it does meet the 1.5.0.* requirement. I don't think this is caused by the extension because it happens with most extensions I try to install and it also happened when I had 1.5.0.1. If anyone could help me fix this, I would be eternally grateful!

Recommended Fix
1. Change the file extension from .xpi to .zip
2. Open up the zip file and extract install.rdf, then open with a text editor.
3. Replace this < em:maxVersion >1.5.0.*< / em:maxVersion > with < em:maxVersion >2.*< / em:maxVersion >
4. Save and close. Drag install.rdf back into the application you opened the zip file with.
5. Change extension back from .zip to .xpi and install the extension.

Note: Extension will even work in Bon Echo.

Hope that helps.

In other words try to reinstall it after you tweak it.

[edit]
Also, here is the site for this extension. You may find an answer there.

http://extensions.npike.net/gcaln/index.php

I tweaked another extension before (the time one) so I know how to do that, I'll try that later, thanks!

Funny thing, right before I went to that page (extension homepage) i opened up my extensions, and found that there was an update for Google Calandar Notifier, 1.2 to 1.3, so I updated, restarted and it seems to be running great now.

I'll let you guys know if anything changes.

Thanks once again.

Well, It seems to still be going on. Now, it says there are 0 event(s), like it should, if there was none, I click refresh on it and still the same, I make sure I have things on this day, and yes I do...

What the hell?

I know the page where you can download it, but is there some forum or place I can talk and ask questions about it. Cause it's really not working at all, and I really want it too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure, what ever files you downloaded, u need to rename them to xpi, i know alot are like that...try that

failurbydesign said:
I was downloading skins, where do i install em?

The file extension for "skins/themes" is ".jar"
The file extension for "extensions" is ".xpi"

Now some theme files can be ".xpi". With those you can just click on "File" in the "Toolbar" at the top of the browser and navigate to where you saved the file when you downloaded it. Then open it with your browser like you would an ".html" file and it will install it.

Now, in Firefox you click on "Tools" on your toolbar. In Mozilla click on "View". Now in the drop box click on "Themes" in Firefox, in Mozilla "Apply Theme". Now just click on the theme that was installed close and re-start the browser and the theme should be applied.

Now in Mozilla

JavaScript has to be enabled for Navigator in "Preferences---Advanced".
Software Installation has to be enabled in "Preferences---Advanced".

(through "Edit" in the "Toolbar")

In Firefox

Install Extensions and Themes has to be enabled in "Options--Advanced" under the "Update" tab.
I think JavaScript has to be enabled in "Options--Content "

(through "Tools" in the "Toolbar")

With these enabled it should just install like an update. You click on the file on whatever theme web page you are at and it should install. It will show a progress window and everything.

Now for Firefox you can "Drag and Drop" these theme files into the Theme window. But I think only if they have the ".jar" extension. So download them to any folder you wish, they can be "zipped" or have the ".jar" extension. If they are "zipped" then extract them (again to whatever folder you desire) first. Now once you have extracted the skin file it will have a ".jar" extension. It should have it, if it's the ".xpi" extension then install it the other way.

Now, click on "tools" on your toolbar. It's the top most bar of Firefox by default. If you moved it then just click on it where ever ya put it. If you hid the toolbar you will need to make it visible again. So, you have clicked on "tools", now in the drop box click on "themes". The themes window will open. Now open Windows Explorer and navigate to the directory/folder where you have saved the skin you downloaded (make sure you can see both windows). Now drag and drop this "xpi" theme file into the theme window and it will load it. Then "apply" it.

see attachment

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 116

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back