The Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird discussion (Part 3)

Re: Firefox Problem

The problem is in the way it's handling Java applets on some sites. You can have a site that may be running Java and you either cose out that tab if it's open in a tab or you just shut down the browser and for some reason the applet refuses to go quietly. I have had it happen an many occasion. You have to open the "Task Manager" and manually close out Firefox in the "Processes". tab of Task Manager. I think it could be due to problems with Java. Open up "Add or Remove Programs" in your "Control Panel" and see if you have more than one version of Java installed. That if I remember correctly can make it twitchy. Also see if you have the latest version of Java installed.

One thing to look for is that damn Java Console icon in you taskbar tray thingy when ya try to close out Firefox and it looks like it's closed but not. It will still be there like aa old stain on yer shirt. Ummm, one problem though. Ya won't see the icon if you set the icon to hide itself (example: like some do with the Logitech tray icon for MouseWares). But you can see it in the processes tab of the Task Manager. So look around. Hope this helps.

[edit]
Oh, BTW Vanquished, I merged this thread with the "Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird discussion (Part 3)" thread. You may get more and maybe also better responses to your problem

Last edited:
I just noticed, since I usually don't check my mail in other places, that I can only receive my mail from Thunderbird. I know there is a setting for this, and I thought I had it set to leave messages on server....can someone point in the right place to check this?

Thanks

Open Thunderbird and click on "Tools" on the top bar. Then in the drop down box click "Account Settings". Now click "Server Settings in the left window pane. Under the "Server Settings" box make sure that the "Leave messages on server" box is checked/ticked and under that item check whichever box is appropriate for you. Be it, "For at most xx days" or "Until I delete or move them from inbox", it's your choice.

thanks, I had it checked, but nothing was picked for how long or how

gonaads said:
Open Thunderbird and click on "Tools" on the top bar. Then in the drop down box click "Account Settings". Now click "Server Settings in the left window pane. Under the "Server Settings" box make sure that the "Leave messages on server" box is checked/ticked and under that item check whichever box is appropriate for you. Be it, "For at most xx days" or "Until I delete or move them from inbox", it's your choice.

HMMmmmm you mean it matters if you do not add any sub-option after leaving them on the server? Because that is what I used to do and it seemed to work fine - then I had other issues and since then Thunderbird just does not fly for me anymore (it does all kinds of weirdness and I think I made another thread, but still have not resolved things).

By the way I experimented and it seems maximum number of days you can enter is 1316134911 (which I guess should last me!)

Mainframeguy said:
By the way I experimented and it seems maximum number of days you can enter is 1316134911 (which I guess should last me!)

How the hell did you come up with that number?

gonaads said:
How the hell did you come up with that number?
I held the nine key for a while - hit enter - that is what Tbird gave me back! Kinda neat it does not just reject it, but plug in what I guess is the larget number the compiler would allow - not a power of 2 though, but does fit into 32 bits... not a round number of years even... I'll get back if it seems to settle anything down for Tbird when I have it on all the clients and if enough mail goes through to say for sure...

Just remember to set each client's server settings as well. Unless they are all to go through one server.

so the sub-option does matter? I'm actually changing ISP at month end and will likely move away from POP3 to IMAP so this may become something I never answer for myself, but I'm still curious....

Mainframeguy said:
so the sub-option does matter? I'm actually changing ISP at month end and will likely move away from POP3 to IMAP so this may become something I never answer for myself, but I'm still curious....

Yeah, I think it does. Only way to be sure would be to tick them or un-tick them. Then see how Thunderbird responds.

I'm not even sure if what I did has worked, I am testing it out today.

1.i set it too leave messages on untill i move it away from inbox, there not staying on server, i can only read them from thunderbird...??

2. I use thunderbird for everything, but it's very slow. I have a bunch of feeds and email address, and if in my email inbox, and click on say Techcrunch feed, it takes about 7 or so seconds to load it, this is the same with everything i click on.??

hey, I have a question.... did you guys ever notice that in the mac version of firefox, if you click on a text box, you get no cursor but if you click on the page then you get a blinking cursor wherever you click? that is kinda getting anoying

Edit:... lol i just realized that this is under the windows catagory.... sry - i guess it should be for both though since firefox is available for mac now :)

Cool thing 'bout this one is it ain't killin any extensions due to version conflicts.

gonaads said:
Cool thing 'bout this one is it ain't killin any extensions due to version conflicts.
Yeah, this one's just a minor update. Installing the Bon Echo alpha builds will kill all your extensions, although there's a way around that too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back