The Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird discussion (Part 3)

gonaads, thansk a bunch for that, very seful, the skins where given me a prob, but its cool now..thanks again!!

Say I'm reformatting, or got a new computer or whatever. How do I save my settings in Thunderbird, emails that were downloaded, the settings, the filters etc??

Bman™ said:
Say I'm reformatting, or got a new computer or whatever. How do I save my settings in Thunderbird, emails that were downloaded, the settings, the filters etc??

I would say with some degree of difficulty - I recently went through such a change and Tbird is still messed up! Could be that is largely my experience though - think they aim that most stuff could be preserved just by having your My Documents relocated to a data drive not part of reformat... reckon you would definitely need to redo your account of course and also your plug ins... Filters I have no clue (don't use them)... an beware you'll find a mail folder (under application data I think) that may appear to have the mail in it, but actually just holds your mailbox directory structure! I know because I backed it up and only found that out after! Good luck and let us know how it goes if you actually end up doing this... Would be good info to have...

I just downloaded Bon Echo, Firefox 2.0, is there anyway I can install this without removing 1.5.0.3 and my settings?

Install it in it's own directory all by it's lonesome. :D

[edit]
Basically when ya install, go for the "custom" install. Then set/create the directory that you want to install to. Put it on another partition or drive if ya want. That's what I did on my test machine, errrrr, at work. :p

Just don't try to open both at the same time. They don't like it.

Last edited:
I will say I do like the default spell check of Bon Echo. Henyman really really could use this. :p

[edit]
Bman, One thing to look out for is that Bon Echo will disable all your extensions and themes that are not compatible with it. Which is nearly all of them. Then when you do use Firefox 1.5.0.3 again it will use all the settings of Bon Echo. So all your themes and extensions are still disabled. After you uninstall Bon Echo (sooner or later you will), Firefox will still open like Bon Echo all generic. You have to open the extensions window and right click on each of the disabled extensions and re-enable them. Same for your themes in the themes window. Then all will be as it was. Just soz ya know and ya don't go freakin out on us. :D

Oh, and if you try to re-enable these extensions and themes in Firefox 1.5.0.3 while Bon Echo is still installed. They will work but then when ya open Bon Echo again it will disable them all over again. It's a vicious cycle.

Last edited:
It doesn't have to work that way. :)

Once you install Bon Echo in its own folder, don't launch it right away. Right-click the shortcut, and append -profilemanager to the target field. It should look something like this:

Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Bon Echo\firefox.exe" -profilemanager
Then click the shortcut to launch it, and you'll be given the option to create a new profile. Once you do that, Bon Echo will have its own independent profile that's separate from the Firefox one, so you won't have extension conflicts etc. If you need your bookmarks from Firefox, just copy the bookmarks.html file from its profile directory into your Bon Echo profile.

Before anyone answered, I kinda just clicked install, and click click click.

Now, if I go into Control Panel and Uninstall Bon Echo, will Firefox 1.5.0.3 still work, or do I need to reinstall it?

Everything will work as before. Just remeber if ya didn't do the thing that Kunal (NetRyder) said then ya have to go into yer extensions and themes and re enable them all.

Firefox Problem

Hey,
recently i have been having problems with firefox...
I close firefox using the x's and then try to re-open it. The message i get says that firefox is running but not responding and i cant open a new firefox until i close firefox.
Also when firefox actually works i get tons and tons of ads....
Any help?
Thanks,
Jack

Re: Firefox Problem

What version of Firefox are you running, is it a Beta perhaps?

If you want to close it properly, open the Task Manager and end the process itself - that will cure the "already running" problem.

Is the Ad blocker turned on for Firefox?

Im running the latest version, not a beta i dont think.
Yes i close it everytime through task manager.
Where can i find the adblocker if there is one?

Hmmm
Ill try it,
its just weird that i am just recently getting it all.

Could be spyware related, that would cause a bunch of ads to pop up on your PC all the sudden - have you gone through the routines of scanning for such infections?

Ill try it again but would that effect the program freezing up?
and then not closing properly

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back