Samurize Tutorials, Help, and Configs

Milk Suite...

Hi guys...

Interesting thread. I thought someone should mention the milk suite since it's so well-made and user-friendly. The greatest obstacle to fully utilizing Samurize's capabilities is its complexity and the overwhelming things it can do. I think the milk suite is a great example of simplifying things for the user, especially those who are not interested in programming or making their own skins. This suite seems to be a very popular choice, and especially great for beginners because the installation and configuration are completely automated and scripted. There is no need to edit the config files if you don't want to. There are also many skins available, including brushed metal, which fits in well with many mac themes.

Attached is my desktop capture. I'm using y'z dock, the milk visual style, milk skin for Rainlendar and Milk-iChat for Trillian (not shown). However, the spectrum display for iTunes is not working for me. If anyone knows a fix, please let me know. Comments are welcomed. By the way, I like the chrome clock, but it's too big and there is no easy way to resize it. Anyone has a solution?

Arthur.

Attachments

• SS07222004063126.jpg
    SS07222004063126.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 977
Nice post arthurn and welcome to OSNN! :D I used the Milk Suite a while back and it's a great option if you don't want to get your hands dirty. I agree with you as well that the flexibility of the program makes it difficult. I know it took me quite a while to get comfortable with it!

Nice setup there arthurn.. :) Yes the Milk suite is quite an extensive accomplishment.. :) I give all regard to the creators such as Tadis and Crni and Panther over at AS.. They've done a great job!! But you know some of the peeps around here like mess with Samurize and build thier own stuff, There are those who prefer to use ready made stuff and I'm all fine with that.. Welcome to the forum!! :)

Just trying to sound like I know something here..... :)

Thanks... Any ideas how to make the spectrum work? Or make that clock smaller? Or maybe someone have a milk clock?

You can resize the the whole 5 or 6 layers of the clock config inside samurize. I've done it . Just move the layers apart and then you can resize them.. :)

Hi Beginning... can you post your config files for the resized clock? Thanks.

Yes, Beginning... you are right, posting the file in this public forum is inappropriate. I do respect the owner's wishes. However, when I look at the readme file in the Chrome Clock zip, it says we cannot redistribute, but we can make personal changes. I suppose I could have made the changes myself, but since you mentioned you did it, I don't want to spend time on it (I'm lazy I guess). I wouldn't call it "redistributing" though... It seems like sometimes the boundary is not so clear...

Like, suppose you tell me what changes to make... that seems alright. Then suppose you send me the files in private... that seems alright to me too. As long as we are not posting the files publicly I think it's ok...

:) Like it says " but we can make personal changes. " That sounds like don't mod it and release it to me.. :) Correct me someone please?...............

Anyway... I sent an email to Crni asking for permission to share the modified file... let's see how he responds...

This is what Crni says...

Hi Arthur,
if you read carefully readme file :
http://free-st.htnet.hr/crni/Samurize/Chrome.gif
you will see that I hold no copyright over images used in clock config -
I've just ported konfab widget to samurize.
Original author is Ken Mastri ( kenarooni@yahoo.com ) so you have to ask
him for permission to modifiy his images.
Personally ,I think that resizing clock is so simple that anyone can
easily perform it by himself ...
... but if you get permission from Ken to modify his images then you
also have mine to share my config just include my readme file with it. hope this helps you

stay well
Crni

I think modifying the file is easier than all these "legal hurdles"...

btw I made a smaller clock for myself at 200x200... just the right size for me... :)

Konfabulator? Dashboard? DesktopX? Desk Accessories? Who's copying who?

I don't know if Samurize started off as a Konfabulator clone, though certainly its popularity has to do with it. There seems to be a lot of debate out there as to which one is original, which one is a copycat. DesktopX thinks it is original. Konfabulator thinks Apple copies it, and Apple may have a counter-argument as well.

What a mess...
And what about Samurize? Is it a copycat? The truth is, I don't really care as long as it's free and it works.

" My daddy always said.... If it ain't broke and it's free don't fix it... " or if you don't rock the boat, you won't fall in.. :) Yeah I'm not sure who thought of what first or what who is the copycat.. But yourright as long as it's good and free.. :) I like it!! :)

I emailed Ken Mastri (the original author of Chrome Clock on Konfabulator) and he is ok with me distributing smaller versions of the clock...

"Hello Arthur,
That sounds fine to me, if it is ok with Crni. Thanks for asking.
I'm glad you like the clock widget!
Ken Mastri"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back