Old SP2 Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mainframeguy said:
Has anyone here taken the option to receive SP2 by auto-update? There surely must be someone on dial up or something? And if so have you received it?

Can't help you there yet as I have pro installed and that's not due out till thursday (I think). If you really don't wanna eat up bandwith by downloading sp2 why not just order a disk from MS whenever they open the order page back up?

my dad is set to recieve from auto update...I just set him up that way, and he's geting sp2 even as I write tis post

perris said:
my dad is set to recieve from auto update...I just set him up that way, and he's geting sp1 even as I write tis post
You mean SP2 right? :p Oh and parentals got SP2 yesterday with auto-update. :)

When I finish installing SP2 on my machine, it tells me access is denied and then
restores my comp back to SP1.
My dads comp (which has the same key) installed SP2 1st time no probs.
Wt* is goin on? :S

LocKStocK said:
When I finish installing SP2 on my machine, it tells me access is denied and then
restores my comp back to SP1.
Uhmm...how did you install XP on two machines with the same key?

LocKStocK said:
I think you answered yourself with your question. If I was a gambling man I would say it's noticing two boxes with 1 key.

LocKStocK said:
... and then
restores my comp back to SP1...
when you think about it that is a pretty "gentle" result - you're lucky you remain with TWO useable XP configurations, even if only one of them is at SP2! :rolleyes:

Anyway - other reason for my post is that I STILL have not received SP2 via auto update after (I think, losing count!) four or five days since I elected to receive it. I am not bothered or in a hurry, so it is fine - just posting the news for comparative purposes incase others find similar - maybe the M$ servers vary in their responsiveness in a global sense and UK users wait longer?

hey i just got a quick question about SP1. Does it come with .NET Framework Version 1.1.4322? I download the spherexp and it needs that version and i dont wanna download it since its 23mb. I have SP1 on cd somewhere and was wondering if i install that it would install the .NET framework that i need?

SP2 doesn't even come with the .NET framework, so SP1 probably doesn't either.

After I did my slipstream installation, I went to Windows Update, and the .NET framework is available to download from there. Also not included in SP2 (for those who care) are the Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer and the "Update for Windows XP HighMAT Support in CD Writing Wizard (KB831240)," as these showed up in Windows Update, as well.

Melon

crap...that sucks. I guess tonight when i am in bed i am gonna have to download it

I just finished making my slip-streams ( one french - one english ) but I have yet to install them. I use SP2 but from an install over on this one, We will see about reformatting when I have time.

Mainframeguy said:
Anyway - other reason for my post is that I STILL have not received SP2 via auto update after (I think, losing count!) four or five days since I elected to receive it. I am not bothered or in a hurry, so it is fine - just posting the news for comparative purposes incase others find similar - maybe the M$ servers vary in their responsiveness in a global sense and UK users wait longer?
Apparently, they're spreading out the AU release until the end of August. You could get it anytime between now and then. =)

SP1 does include .NET, I believe. I could be wrong, but my last re install was a slipstream sp1 and I would not download from auto update.

well...looks like another long ass download added to my list

Well I found a program on my setups that got hosed with SP2 its "Icopydvds2" I got it with my Lite-On DVD-RW and was working fine with SP1 now when I try it I get an error and I checked back and the file that is hosed was replaced with SP2 its DWWIN.EXE and I checked its the one replaced by SP2 that makes my progam useless.

Yes even went as far as cleaning it out first but to no avail it's broken , without a doubt because of SP2 like I said if you look up that file name your going to see it in one of the files replaced by SP2.

ps: I run it on my other machine SP1 no troubles.

Dennis T said:
Advent Laptop. (Model 7039) AMD 3000/64 CPU. 512 mem. XP-Pro SP1. Graphics: ATI Mobile 9600 64 meg on board ram. Using ATI drivers.

It seems like a graphics problem. Using the Network SP2 the machine-boots to the Win XP screen, then freezes. Using a fresh install, agter first boot, the machine errorsas described above.

I'm mystified !! I'll wait for the online update and see what that brings !!

BTW.... been on this site from the old NTFS days, first time i ever posted !!

Dennis

Have found the solution to this on AMD Forums.....

The problem that I have identified is that the BIOS does not understand a feature needed by winXP64 and more imprtantly it is also used in XP SP2 now as well (windows will fail to boot if you install it)

The missing feature is Physical Address Extension. When XP64 or SP2 tries to enable this feature the BIOS crashes or locks up. This feature is needed to enable the No Execute Feature on the CPU.

To use SP2 as it stands you need to install SP2 and then when the system re-boots goto safe mode & disable the no-execute feature (on by default when an A64 is detected)

There is currently no fix (that I know of) for installing XP64.

I did however email Medion (The 7039 is based on the WAD 2000 mobo by Medion) and ask if there will be an updated bios for this lappy & am currently awaiting a reply.

There is an updated bios available from Medion (the 7039 uses their WAD 2000 mobo....

Will post when I have installed it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest forum posts

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back