New Computer Build

Tuffgong4 said:
there is no reason why you should be buying a 478 processor or an agp system because you won't be upgrading with you next system you will be having to completely rebuild.

get something a little more future proof. The price of pci-express, sata II(or sata IO, I"ve heard it called) are the same as agp motherboards with less functionality.

Better to be safe than sorry

Dear Mr. Pauly Shore,

Thank you for your input. The only reason I was going to go Socket 478, was because I wanted to stay Intel but wanted to avoid the intense spike in heat with the LGA 775. But I am looking into AMD options currently. I see you have the 3400, how do you like it?

Based on a few benchmarks, I'm not sure if it is really worth it to go to a 3500+ compared to a 3200+. The ROI and speed difference just isn't there. It appears the 3200+ is the way to go.

Thoughts?

My system is based on the socket 754 compared to the newer socket 939. The only problem with that is that there are no new processors coming out for my socket other than what is out now, so the highest I will ever be able to go from my 3000+ is to the 3700+.

My case is very small and cramped yet everything stays very cool and runs very nice. That's with a 6800GT as well in a very small area.

I love my AMD system. There is no chance I switch from AMD anytime soon unless the pentium m becomes more common and reasonably priced for desktops.

Sincerely,
Mr Pauly Shore :laugh:

kcnychief said:
Based on a few benchmarks, I'm not sure if it is really worth it to go to a 3500+ compared to a 3200+. The ROI and speed difference just isn't there. It appears the 3200+ is the way to go.

Thoughts?

I agree with you completely. And it would be completely stable and actually not very difficult with stock cooling that comes with the processor to overclock it (which helps with dvd encoding like you said you will be doing) and get 3500+ or higher speeds, without any risk of hurting the processor.

Tuffgong4 said:
I agree with you completely. And it would be completely stable and actually not very difficult with stock cooling that comes with the processor to overclock it (which helps with dvd encoding like you said you will be doing) and get 3500+ or higher speeds, without any risk of hurting the processor.

I never really was a fan of OC'ing processors. Basically because I never had a reason to do so. When I do DVD copying, I use DVD-Shrink, and since I have a DVD Burner and a DVD-ROM, it tends to go nicely. I usually do it overnight or when I'm eating or away or something like that.

Dare I say, what do you AMD people recommend for Motherboards?

kcnychief said:
I never really was a fan of OC'ing processors. Basically because I never had a reason to do so. When I do DVD copying, I use DVD-Shrink, and since I have a DVD Burner and a DVD-ROM, it tends to go nicely. I usually do it overnight or when I'm eating or away or something like that.

Dare I say, what do you AMD people recommend for Motherboards?

I'm not a fan of overclocking either but the money you can save yet add more value to your system with the new amd cores is trememdous.

For motherboards I would got with DFI, Asus, or MSI

Since the main reason I am doing this, is because I want to get hands on with technology I haven't used before, I think I am going to implement a RAID 0 with WD 74GB Raptors. Holy speed!

Before anyone says anything, not to worry about redundancy, all my important files are backed up on my server.

OK, since you're open to considering AMD now...

The AMD 64 chips
-run cooler than Intel for the same horsepower,
-cost (much) less
-are mature (have been around for almost 2 yeras so the bugs are worked out)
-AMD created the 64 BIT extension set so Intel is playing catch up this time.
-Windows 64 is finally out.
-MS and Intel are pushing developers to recode/recompile with 64 BIT extensions.
--The biggest advantage will be in memory and number crunching applications like video and audio processing.

The only complaint I had about AMD was they held onto the fragile, flip chip design for too long. They finally wne tback to metal cases with the AMD 64's (socket 754 and socket 939).

The differences
-Socket 754 has a single data rate memory path so it is still running at 400 mhz.
-Socket 939 uses dual channel ddr so it is running at 800 mhz the same as intel.
-Socket 754 is 64 BIT compliant and has been for almost 2 years. So is socket 939.
-Socket 754 MB and Proc is half the price of a socket 939 rig.
-The 754 is the celeron of the AMD 64 lineup and is probably dead ended.
-The 939 will support dual CPU designs so it has life and growth left.

Costs - assuming you stay with last years technology like I do.
754 MB & CPU = $130 to 160.
939 MB & CPU = $260 to $1000 (or more with dual die CPUs)

MSI seems to be getting better reviews than the ASUS 64 BIT product. DFI? Ummm, not in my new rig.

DFI Lanparty socket 939 Nforce4 reviews...

AMDZone
"We feel this is the top nForce 4 SLI board we have tested so far, and we are eager to see what other boards DFI has in the works."

MVKTech
"The DFI LANParty nF4 SLI-DR is one of the most amazing motherboards I have seen this year, with its excellent bundle, excellent performance and stability the gaming experience was outstanding. The fact we can over clock to 250MHz FSB without any real tweaking is a true testament to its capabilities. With the ability to achieve configurations of up to 265MHz FSB and beyond. Of course this depends greatly on the additional hardware combined with the mother-board."

PCStats
"It doesn't do the DFI LANParty NF4 SLI-DR justice to just say that it's fast; it's one of the fastest motherboards on the market that PCSTATS has ever tested!"

AnandTech
" DFI set out to create the absolute best nForce4 boards that an enthusiast could find on the market. After spending several weeks with engineering samples and now the final retail boards, we believe that DFI has succeeded in their goal. There are other very good nForce4 boards that compete well at stock speeds, overclock well, or perform well in SLI mode, but no other board that we are aware of does so many things so well as the DFI LANParty nForce4 boards. Looking at the boards as they ship, it would be hard not to be impressed with the feature sets, performance, record-setting overclocking, and stability of the new DFI nForce4 motherboards."

I would go with the 3500+ or higher if you have the $, but if not the 3200+ is perfect. I would get a san diego core or vience core, they use less power and run cooler then the other ones

Tuffgong4 said:
DFI Lanparty socket 939 Nforce4 reviews...

AMDZone
"We feel this is the top nForce 4 SLI board we have tested so far, and we are eager to see what other boards DFI has in the works."

MVKTech
"The DFI LANParty nF4 SLI-DR is one of the most amazing motherboards I have seen this year, with its excellent bundle, excellent performance and stability the gaming experience was outstanding. The fact we can over clock to 250MHz FSB without any real tweaking is a true testament to its capabilities. With the ability to achieve configurations of up to 265MHz FSB and beyond. Of course this depends greatly on the additional hardware combined with the mother-board."

PCStats
"It doesn't do the DFI LANParty NF4 SLI-DR justice to just say that it's fast; it's one of the fastest motherboards on the market that PCSTATS has ever tested!"

AnandTech
" DFI set out to create the absolute best nForce4 boards that an enthusiast could find on the market. After spending several weeks with engineering samples and now the final retail boards, we believe that DFI has succeeded in their goal. There are other very good nForce4 boards that compete well at stock speeds, overclock well, or perform well in SLI mode, but no other board that we are aware of does so many things so well as the DFI LANParty nForce4 boards. Looking at the boards as they ship, it would be hard not to be impressed with the feature sets, performance, record-setting overclocking, and stability of the new DFI nForce4 motherboards."

Thanks for the advice on that mobo, however since I don't game, I don't see a SLI mobo as one that I should take because it's not cost effective.

LeeJend said:
OK, since you're open to considering AMD now...

The AMD 64 chips
-run cooler than Intel for the same horsepower,
-cost (much) less
-are mature (have been around for almost 2 yeras so the bugs are worked out)
-AMD created the 64 BIT extension set so Intel is playing catch up this time.
-Windows 64 is finally out.
-MS and Intel are pushing developers to recode/recompile with 64 BIT extensions.
--The biggest advantage will be in memory and number crunching applications like video and audio processing.

The only complaint I had about AMD was they held onto the fragile, flip chip design for too long. They finally wne tback to metal cases with the AMD 64's (socket 754 and socket 939).

The differences
-Socket 754 has a single data rate memory path so it is still running at 400 mhz.
-Socket 939 uses dual channel ddr so it is running at 800 mhz the same as intel.
-Socket 754 is 64 BIT compliant and has been for almost 2 years. So is socket 939.
-Socket 754 MB and Proc is half the price of a socket 939 rig.
-The 754 is the celeron of the AMD 64 lineup and is probably dead ended.
-The 939 will support dual CPU designs so it has life and growth left.

Costs - assuming you stay with last years technology like I do.
754 MB & CPU = $130 to 160.
939 MB & CPU = $260 to $1000 (or more with dual die CPUs)

MSI seems to be getting better reviews than the ASUS 64 BIT product. DFI? Ummm, not in my new rig.

Thanks for the info, GREAT post!

Can you just explain what the dual channel setup actually does, and what I would need to benefit from it?
Thanks.

EDIT: Just found another thread detailing this, so I think I understand it now.

Last edited:
It isn't the 775 that is hot, it is the Prescott that runs in it.

I am typing on a 775 3.4Ghz system that makes almost no noise, and is running F@H.

PCI Express is better, and not any more expensive than AGP based systems.

AMD makes a great chip, but alot of people are still hung on Intel. I like both, have used both and will continue to use both. I like intel for business and AMD for gaming.

This is more of whatever you like. But most new Intel boards have native SATA and or RAID support built in, I use it and like it, never had a problem yet. Where as N-farce chipsets???? No memory problems either.

I guess bluntly, if I were to build for what you do, I would use a LGA775 and not use stock cooling. Use a Radeon 600 Pro and get it on with a RAID setup.

Then again, thats just me.

Steevo said:
It isn't the 775 that is hot, it is the Prescott that runs in it.

I am typing on a 775 3.4Ghz system that makes almost no noise, and is running F@H.

PCI Express is better, and not any more expensive than AGP based systems.

AMD makes a great chip, but alot of people are still hung on Intel. I like both, have used both and will continue to use both. I like intel for business and AMD for gaming.

This is more of whatever you like. But most new Intel boards have native SATA and or RAID support built in, I use it and like it, never had a problem yet. Where as N-farce chipsets???? No memory problems either.

I guess bluntly, if I were to build for what you do, I would use a LGA775 and not use stock cooling. Use a Radeon 600 Pro and get it on with a RAID setup.

Then again, thats just me.

Yeah, I agree with you on the LGA 775 being hot due to the Prescott core, but If I remember correctly (which I might not be) they stopped the Northwood around a 2.8 or a 3.0. Ish, somethin like that. Going with the Prescott core forward it appears.

anandtech released an article about a bunch of nforce4 motherboards and two boards got the "gold award". The Epox 9NPA+ was one of them and Anandtech said it was the fastest board at stock speeds. It's not sli, which is what you were looking for and it's only 110 dollars.

Article here
the article reviews many other boards as well. so you can find out more information about some other manufacturers as well.

here is the link to newegg for the epox motherboard as well.

Tuffgong4 said:
anandtech released an article about a bunch of nforce4 motherboards and two boards got the "gold award". The Epox 9NPA+ was one of them and Anandtech said it was the fastest board at stock speeds. It's not sli, which is what you were looking for and it's only 110 dollars.

Article here
the article reviews many other boards as well. so you can find out more information about some other manufacturers as well.

here is the link to newegg for the epox motherboard as well.

Good recommendation and great article, thanks!

So here is what I have decided to go with...
(some of the non-important hardware has been left out)

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813123243

From what I can tell the only difference between this and the ultra, besides about 20 some odd bucks, is the onboard RAID. I had thought about it, but don't plan on using it, so this is my winner.

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103537

From what I read, the 3200 is close to the 3500, and the 3000 is fast too. Also have read the difference in speed between 3000 and 3200 is not cost effective. I might change on this last second, but trying to keep costs down.

Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814102390

As stated before, I don't game. This card should be plenty good for what I need it to do.

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817103459
Should be sufficient, also has 24pin power connector which I need.

That's pretty much it, getting a 74GB Raptor, already have the RAM, and Optical Drives.

Opinions?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back