New Computer Build

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
I am looking to build a new computer, I don't do gaming at all. I would say the most resource-taxing process I do is copy DVD's. So, obviously I don't need a sick computer, just one that is fast and reliable. Here is what I have spec'd out, suggestions and comments are welcomed and appreciated.

I don't want to have a FDD, I never use one. As I mentioned, I already have the optical devices, so I believe that is all I need. Please, what do you guys think?

I don't know if this helps or not, but I bought this case off someone at work. I liked it because it's nice and roomy, the hard drive bays detach nicely, and as always the acrylic window. I know, I know, if I have the window I should have some neat LED's in there, but I still like to look at my cool toys :)

I attached a picture of my case. There is a PSU in it, but it's crap and I don't want to use it.

Attachments

• IMG_0303[1].jpg
    IMG_0303[1].jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 81
Also, I already have and will continue to use, this monitor..

The Alienware® 20.1" LCD Display offers the high level of performance demanded by gamers and required by graphics professionals. Featuring a 16ms TFT with 1600 x 1200 maximum resolution at 75Hz, games and full-screen video is crisp and bright. The 400:1 contrast ratio and 250 cd/m² insure vivid colors and crisp text for design professionals. The pivoting screen easily detaches for use with standard VESA mounts and easily swivels, tilts or adjusts vertically to provide the perfect angle. For added convenience, the display also features three USB ports to connect your keyboard, mouse, digital camera, MP3 player or any other device. The Alienware® 20.1" LCD Display is the perfect choice for anyone that demands high performance, compact design and complete adjustability.

High Performance
With a maximum resolution of 1600 x 1200, 16ms response time and crisp 400:1 contrast ratio, this is the perfect display for games, video and design software.

Onboard USB Hub
Easily connect your USB devices (such as cameras, MP3 players and game controllers) to the three onboard USB ports!

Flexibility
If the 90° of rotation, 30° of tilt, 160° of swivel and adjustable height don’t fit your needs, use the quick-release base and VESA-compliant panel for added placement options.

Stylish Design
The laterally-mounted controls, slim bezel and compact base complement any décor at home or the office.

Alienware® 20.1" LCD Display

aw_monitor_1_v2.jpg.img

And, these speakers...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836119101

Looks good for a general purpose box where the video/sound isn't a consideration. I'm kinda "eh" on Realtek, but as you said...don't really care, not using for that.

Plus, because your mobo has plenty of room for upgradeability you're not locked in wrt it. Given the AGP and number of PCI slots, you've got plenty of room to grow... It does look plenty fast for what you're describing it's use to be...

Son Goku said:
Looks good for a general purpose box where the video/sound isn't a consideration. I'm kinda "eh" on Realtek, but as you said...don't really care, not using for that.

Plus, because your mobo has plenty of room for upgradeability you're not locked in wrt it. Given the AGP and number of PCI slots, you've got plenty of room to grow... It does look plenty fast for what you're describing it's use to be...

Yeah, I mean I have had machines before with Creative High-End Audio cards, with the Klipsch 5.1 Speakers. They are NICE, but I can't ever utilize their full potential b/c I live in an apartment complex with a real STRICT policy on noise. So, I just use onboard sound, with 2.1 speakers until I can move somewhere else and appreciate. That plus those speakers take up a ton of desk space.

I don't care about video at all, onboard is just fine b/c all I use it for is fonts mostly, hardly ever even watch video on my PC unless it's a highlight reel for sports, lol

1). Why build a new system now that does not support 64 BIT instruction set extensions? Wait until you can afford a step up to 64 BIT. Or, shudder, rethink AMD. For the same price you can do a 64 BIT socket 939 XP3000 MB and Processor. I think there is a Fryes up your way . They were selling socket 754 MB/CPU combos for $129 last week.

2). On board graphics is a waste. I have a 3.0 gig P4 system at work with it and it crawls compared to an AMD 1700 with a $40 video card. And I'm not talking about gaming, just office type applications.

LeeJend said:
1). Why build a new system now that does not support 64 BIT instruction set extensions? Wait until you can afford a step up to 64 BIT. Or, shudder, rethink AMD. For the same price you can do a 64 BIT socket 939 XP3000 MB and Processor. I think there is a Fryes up your way . They were selling socket 754 MB/CPU combos for $129 last week.

2). On board graphics is a waste. I have a 3.0 gig P4 system at work with it and it crawls compared to an AMD 1700 with a $40 video card. And I'm not talking about gaming, just office type applications.

I don't need 64-bit computing. The time for when it will be supported, even at 50%, is years away still. I know Windows is there, but there aren't many other applications. And besides, I don't go cutting edge, give them time to work out the kinks.

LeeJend said:

I've never actually used an AMD chip. One of my concerns with the new LGA775 chip, is that they run uber hot. That is why I am going to go with Socket 478. Who recommends AMD?

I recommend AMD too. Even you wont be using x64 get an AMD64 anyway. Even though they run in 32bit they still run better than any intel. I think a 3200+ beats anything intel has right now. Make sure if you do get AMD to go with the 939, it has a much high data bandwidth and perform much better. And as for the AMD running hot...well I am on fan cooling and mine idles around 34-36C :\ and it doesnt go over 44C, I live in CA btw so its HOT. I dont see why you wouldnt want to go AMD, they are cheaper, better, and cooler(temp and slyness). Unless you plan on doing video decoding/incoding, stick with AMD. :)

Admiral Michael said:
Id recommend AMD, also if you are going to use SATA you may need a floppy. Windows XP needs the drivers on a floppy for installing windows, altho it wont if the SATA is native or you add the drivers to the XP CD.

http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic28824.html

http://xpcreate.com/raid.htm

I slipstreamed my XP CD with SP2 and hotfixes, as well as SATA drivers awhile ago. I'm good, but thanks for pointing that out. I'm sure alot of people go through that frustration, oops! :)

kcnychief said:
I slipstreamed my XP CD with SP2 and hotfixes, as well as SATA drivers awhile ago. I'm good, but thanks for pointing that out. I'm sure alot of people go through that frustration, oops! :)

Thats good to hear. I have a question, how do u slipstream hotfixes? Ive done SP2, and thats about it. I use a floppy for raid.

zeke_mo said:
I recommend AMD too. Even you wont be using x64 get an AMD64 anyway. Even though they run in 32bit they still run better than any intel. I think a 3200+ beats anything intel has right now. Make sure if you do get AMD to go with the 939, it has a much high data bandwidth and perform much better. And as for the AMD running hot...well I am on fan cooling and mine idles around 34-36C :\ and it doesnt go over 44C, I live in CA btw so its HOT. I dont see why you wouldnt want to go AMD, they are cheaper, better, and cooler(temp and slyness). Unless you plan on doing video decoding/incoding, stick with AMD. :)

Thanks for the recommendation, the reason why I have never gone AMD really is just because I have never really read up on them. I have heard they are better, read comparison reviews from time to time, I have always just gone with Intel. But, as previously mentioned, these damn LGA 775 chips get too damn hot. So, you recommend a socket 939...hmm...lemme go find one...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103535

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103502

I know they are core types, but since you are AMD people, which one do you recommend? I am leaning a little more towards Winchester myself. What do you people think?

kcnychief said:
One of my concerns with the new LGA775 chip, is that they run uber hot. That is why I am going to go with Socket 478. Who recommends AMD?

and prescotts run cool??

celticfan11 said:
and prescotts run cool??

No, prescotts run crazy hot, that's why I'm pondering AMD. That plus I have never built an AMD system before, I want to toy with it. I also don't like the heatsink on the LGA775, they are a pain since they are spring mounted

there is no reason why you should be buying a 478 processor or an agp system because you won't be upgrading with you next system you will be having to completely rebuild.

get something a little more future proof. The price of pci-express, sata II(or sata IO, I"ve heard it called) are the same as agp motherboards with less functionality.

Better to be safe than sorry

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back