Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird and other Gecko-based software discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daeron Tinúviel said:
......for me the only time i use IE is for Winupdates is for the only thing so far everysite that i visit shows BETTER in FF and if the site doesnt look right i email the webmaster or just forget about it :p

Then that is good, use FireFox. I use it 99% of the time. I use Mozilla only on a very few occasions. But remember that FireFox uses the same Geko rendering Engine that Mozilla uses. Mozilla is a suite of everything, FireFox is browser only. Just like ThunderBird is the Mail client only.

gonaads said:
Seems like GoLive is following W3C guidelines.

It does. And so does Dreamweaver. There's a little checkbox that you check when creating a file to create XHTML-based sites. XHTML == a W3C standard.
The only major web content creation software that generates IE-specific code is Frontpage. No surprise there.
wink.gif

Anyways, no point going down this road again. Let's get the thread back to it's real topic.

Daeron Tinúviel said:
BTW thunderbird is the mail, bow to thunderbird!!!!

Junk mail classification in the latest nightly is pretty awesome! Big improvement over the 0.5 milestone. Seems to detect and move all the junk that I've been getting so far. No false positives yet either.
Very impressive.
happy.gif

Personally I'm a flash guy. Not that I don't like HTML, or CSS, or whatever. I know that 95% of the people in the world have a flash plug-in. And if they don't it'll only take a minute to download. Plus I feel that I have more freedom with flash.

But that's just me.

Nothing wrong with using Flash.
smile.gif
There are flash plugins for every modern browser, so your site should look the same on all platforms.

Now that was a healthy discussion. :D

FrontPage??? Who makes that anyway. :rolleyes: :p

NetRyder said:
It does. And so does Dreamweaver. There's a little checkbox that you check when creating a file to create XHTML-based sites. XHTML == a W3C standard.
Sorry just to go a little further down this road....
Both GoLive CS and DreamWeaverMX do W3C XHTML compliant code, but the GoLive CS rendering engine is awful and DreamWeaverMX uses the MSIE rendering engine ;) so still has its rendering bugs though the code is fine.

Johnny said:
Most websites are made for IE .. Not Mozilla
I dont know about other people, but I dont design or code to cater for MSIE's bugs any more, if you visit a site I have designed with MSIE you see a nice red box saying "Best viewed with a Standards Compliant Browser" and personally I would like to see more designers and developers doing this as well, its the only way to get Microsoft to change its browser and make it properly compliant.

Now back to Firefox and Mozilla....
how do I reverse the tab settings changes that TBE made to the default settings

A: I am not saying that IE is the best. I am simply saying that 90% of the people who have a computer use it ! The other 10% use other parts .. And no offense to mac but, although it is a nice unit and I would love to have one, it is well "dead". No one uses them .. So how can saying that mac don't use ie be a valid point ??

B: I realize that Mozilla did not make the standards. But when you look at the way it is with the percentage of people who use M$ as apposed to other systems, then the facts of the new standard is a new step. And it probably is true that some people don't care about how they make there web page.

C: I do use css when making my web pages. I am learning more about them everyday. When I do make web pages I use Dreamweaver, mostly because of how it handles templates .. Frontpage isn't very good at handling design elements. But it does handle css.

But in any case this turned out to be the whipping boy thread because of not cohering to what the small amount of people think ... Oh well ,, I guess I am just part of the 90% that use M$ .. So go ahead and hang me lol ...

*** Note: these posts I made were in no way to start and argument, some of the comments made toward me because I don't like mozilla were uncalled for and showed a lack maturity among the people who posted them. This is exactly the kind of treatment you get at mozilla.com when you ask a question, or say you don't adhere to the "standards" ... I do not like the tone of those individuals ..

I will get back to the post again, I just wanted to get that off my chest ..

Arguing about browsers and web-standards is very boring, it's been done and we've proved in the past that it goes no where.

So can people please stop it, and use this thread as it was intended; for the discussion of Gecko based applications. Further argumentative posts will either be moderated or deleted.

and for reference, I use a mac :p

NetRyder said:
Junk mail classification in the latest nightly is pretty awesome! Big improvement over the 0.5 milestone. Seems to detect and move all the junk that I've been getting so far. No false positives yet either.
Very impressive.
happy.gif
I don't get that much Junk Mail, but from what I have gotten it has picked it up. Better than the last one I was using!

help with tabs thing pls
have posted the question twice, but I seem to keep getting stepped over :p

Geffy said:
help with tabs thing pls
have posted the question twice, but I seem to keep getting stepped over :p

have u try uninstalling TBE? besides that u can check the settings in about:config and the other thing i can think about is going to your profile folder and look in the users.js and in usserchrome and there deleting whatever is related to TBE.......

Yep, unistall TBE then close/reopen browser. Then if ya want something from TBE again, yer gonna have to install it again. There is no undo button that I know of. Unless there is somethin out there to the contrary.
sad.gif

BTW

TBE has an uninstall button but i prefer using an extension that is for uninstalling extensions

Mozilla 1.7RC1

makes me sad nobody noticed Mozilla 1.7RC1 release :(

/me mutters about leaving for a few days ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back