Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird and other Gecko-based software discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
the notification is in the bottom left corner, if its blocked some popups you will see a round icon down there which you can then click on to whitelist a site

Johnny said:
does anyone know of a pop up stopper for this that is'nt so "retarded" all the one on it seems to do is shut the java off. It won't allow any popups to go through, and don't give any notification if it blocks any.

do u know that in tools, options, web features u can add the site to allow popups???

Geffy when I said no notification I mean the icon you mention also. and Daeron, I don't want to have to add sites to the block or unblock list. It is to much of a pain, I see it be pointless if I only go to the site one time. I would rather it have a cntrl by pass where you just press the control key and it lets them go through. That makes it alot easier adn more managible. The way it is now it to restrictive and to bloated .. I don't like it at all. ABove all that is about the only thing I don't like about: Well that and when someone ask for help on the forum they have people seem to be some what "Jerkish" about it. and the developers don't seem to care about the opinions, looking at some of the threads makes realize why some people don't use it. Especially when you have people who don't know what they are talking about screaming at someone about stupid standard and such. They make it sound like everyone should bow down to the mozilla way, do they know all it is is a lite version of netscape ?? lol I could go on about the dislikes of the mozilla forum but I won't ...

Johnny said:
and the developers don't seem to care about the opinions, looking at some of the threads makes realize why some people don't use it.

Strange, but I've had a completely different experience. Lots of good feature requests on the MozillaZine forums that have a strong user backing have been implemented by developers... either into the Firefox builds themselves, or as Firefox extensions. In fact, the popup blocker itself has undergone a couple of revisions already since it's initial form. You have to remember that Firefox, at this stage, can still be considered a pre-release/preview version. It's not even at 1.0 yet. We need to give it time, that's all.

do they know all it is is a lite version of netscape ?? lol

You have it backwards.
laugh.gif

Firefox is not a lite version of Netscape. Rather, it could be considered a lite version of the Mozilla browser. As I've stated earlier, Netscape is just a re-branded version of the Mozilla suite with added AOL-ware. Netscape uses the Mozilla code-base, not the other way around.

vacantmind said:
any word on the next thunderbird milestone?

There's no fixed estimated release date so far. All we've heard from the devs is that it should be sometime in the "coming weeks."

Is there any way of exporting the bookmarks in mozilla? I want to try firefox but I'm afraid of losing my bookmarks.

Open your bookmarks window (Bookmarks Manager) (see attachment 1) in firefox and in the upper left click on "file" then click "import" (see attachment 2).

Now navigate to where your Mozilla Profile Folder is and find "bookmarks.html" (see attachment 3).

You will not loose any bookmarks.

It's usually something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserProfileName\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\(8 random letters/numbers)********.slt\bookmarks.html

you could always just export them from Mozilla and stick them where you like so they are easier to find and then import them into firefox

That too. :)

Leave it to Geffy to simplify everything. :D

Johnny said:
Geffy when I said no notification I mean the icon you mention also. and Daeron, I don't want to have to add sites to the block or unblock list. It is to much of a pain, I see it be pointless if I only go to the site one time. I would rather it have a cntrl by pass where you just press the control key and it lets them go through. That makes it alot easier adn more managible. The way it is now it to restrictive and to bloated .. I don't like it at all. ABove all that is about the only thing I don't like about: Well that and when someone ask for help on the forum they have people seem to be some what "Jerkish" about it. and the developers don't seem to care about the opinions, looking at some of the threads makes realize why some people don't use it. Especially when you have people who don't know what they are talking about screaming at someone about stupid standard and such. They make it sound like everyone should bow down to the mozilla way, do they know all it is is a lite version of netscape ?? lol I could go on about the dislikes of the mozilla forum but I won't ...

whenever i have go to ask for help to the mozillazine forums i have a positive feedback.....if u dont like it dont use.......and yes everyone should BOW DOWN to the mozilla way

Johnny said:
...when you have people who don't know what they are talking about screaming at someone about stupid standard and such...

Stupid Standard huh... well that's rich. How the hell you think any of the web sites out there on the net are goin to be viewed if there is no standard.

Do you know how much sh!t there would be for all the developers of all the different browsers out there? They would have to create browsers that have to read all different ways that these so-called webmasters create. Which is kinda like the way it is now. That is a lot to incorporate into a browser. No standard is for stupid lazy web site creators that don't give a crap about how they write their code. They slap it together and boom a web site that looks like crap in one browser and OK in another and not at all in yet another. Without a standard they wouldn't give a squat if their code was dirty or anything. Plus with browsers that are made to work with a set standard every web site would be rendered correctly, that is if the site is written correctly.

With a standard for the way the code is written and for the way browsers read and render the code everyone would create web sites that get rendered correctly and all browsers would render sites correctly.

No Standard = Chaos

dreamliner77 said:
Can someone tell me where FireFox's cache is?

The default location is within the profile folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.xxx\Cache

You can change the location by adding the following line to the user.js file:
user_pref("browser.cache.disk.parent_directory","C:\\Path To Cache");
(Make sure you use double-backslashes when specifying the path)

gonaads said:
Stupid Standard huh... well that's rich. How the hell you think any of the web sites out there on the net are goin to be viewed if there is no standard.

Do you know how much sh!t there would be for all the developers of all the different browsers out there? They would have to create browsers that have to read all different ways that these so-called webmasters create. Which is kinda like the way it is now. That is a lot to incorporate into a browser. No standard is for stupid lazy web site creators that don't give a crap about how they write their code. They slap it together and boom a web site that looks like crap in one browser and OK in another and not at all in yet another. Without a standard they wouldn't give a squat if their code was dirty or anything. Plus with browsers that are made to work with a set standard every web site would be rendered correctly, that is if the site is written correctly.

With a standard for the way the code is written and for the way browsers read and render the code everyone would create web sites that get rendered correctly and all browsers would render sites correctly.

No Standard = Chaos
Most websites are made for IE .. Not Mozilla, Programs like frontpage, dreamweaver, go live, a note pad, ect ect, can use css - Which is what mozilla seems to be geared more toward. IE shows the css right. Sites are'nt all geared to mozilla, It will be a long time till they all are and with the way they change things these days they probably never will be completely geared toward mozilla, because next year they will probably come out with a browser that says mozilla's standards are farsed ..

So the standards that the people at Mozilla are screaming and whinning about is false vertisetempted mumbo jumbo. maybe in about 5 years I will believe the standards gag, until then it will stay in the little dark area in the corner. as for not using Firefox if you don't like it ? Well I dumped it, I won't be using it again until these standards you talk about take presedence over anything else. So let me know about them in a couple of years when they maybe take a step out of the corner ...

Johnny said:
Most websites are made for IE .. Not Mozilla, Programs like frontpage, dreamweaver, go live, a note pad, ect ect, can use css - Which is what mozilla seems to be geared more toward. IE shows the css right. Sites are'nt all geared to mozilla, It will be a long time till they all are and with the way they change things these days they probably never will be completely geared toward mozilla, because next year they will probably come out with a browser that says mozilla's standards are farsed ..

So the standards that the people at Mozilla are screaming and whinning about is false vertisetempted mumbo jumbo. maybe in about 5 years I will believe the standards gag, until then it will stay in the little dark area in the corner. as for not using Firefox if you don't like it ? Well I dumped it, I won't be using it again until these standards you talk about take presedence over anything else. So let me know about them in a couple of years when they maybe take a step out of the corner ...

I could argue with the point you make about IE handling CSS right, but I won't. It's been done many times over. If you had bothered to do some research (aka Google searches) on the topic before posting, you'd know that IE's CSS handling capability is a joke. There are tons of sites that demonstrate it. Go ahead...see for yourself.

In response to your other point: The Mozilla Foundation is not the body that makes the standards. Mozilla's Gecko rendering engine is a standards-compliant engine. There's a big difference there. The W3C is the body that creates the standards. Unlike IE, Mozilla just conforms to those standards, displaying pages the way the code intends for them to be displayed. So there. Your point about "mozilla's standards" being "false" and "farsed" is void as well. Believe what you want to, but don't make statements that have absolutely no basis.

Daeron Tinúviel said:
and they say drugs dont do harm

rofl.gif

The problem arises when people have a very limited, closed-minded view of things. Believe it or not, not everyone in the world uses Windows as an operating system. In addition to that, not everyone using Windows uses IE as their browser. Unix-based operating systems don't include IE (thank goodness). The number of people using IE5 on the Mac is next to nothing.

If it weren't for a central body of standards, how do you think everyone would be able to enjoy the same web content? Do you expect everyone else to bow down to Microsoft and create browsers that adhere to IE's standards (or lack thereof)? The W3C was created as THE body of standards by the pioneers of the web. It was Microsoft's duty to create a browser that conformed to already existent standards. In all their infinite wisdom, they chose not to, in effect, pretty much ruining the "quality" of the world wide web, simply because of their dominance and the forced inclusion of their browser into the operating system.

Be glad that the Mozilla Foundation gave you an alternative.
smile.gif

what surprises me is that every now and then some #$%^&* shows up saying the same arguments over and over again, they are so lazy that cant check the facts before saying the same sh*t again......for me the only time i use IE is for Winupdates is for the only thing so far everysite that i visit shows BETTER in FF and if the site doesnt look right i email the webmaster or just forget about it :p

Johnny said:

The so-called Mozilla standard is NOT Mozilla's. The So-called standard is W3C which was created to promote interoperability plus they created technical specifications for the Web's infrastructure. This way you have universal access for everyone by having standardized Web technologies.

IE is the biggest and has used a very agressive maketing stratagy to be the biggest ATM. That's why there are more software packages for creating web content for it, but that does not by any means say that it's the best.

It's funny how Adobe at the GoLive site uses Watchfire WebXACT services to test web pages for quality, privacy, accessibility compliance, and other things. One of those things is "Accessibility" to see if a web page follows W3C guidelines. Seems like GoLive is following W3C guidelines. Hmmmmmm... strange that huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back