Matt's Upgrade Thread

Saz, I went to CompUSA like you suggested to take a look at the 9500 and it is in fact gigantic. Not that I was going to buy it but they wanted $99.95 for it (Newegg wants $60.00).

I read over the technical documentation, it was rather vague.

Derek, I don't plan on overclocking, so I agree. Thank you.

Retail prices (CompUSA) are always MUCH higher than online, but I'm sure you already know that. You are almost better off buying from Newegg if that is your choice, and overnight it. You would still probably save like 20 bucks or so.

Let me know how you like that mouse pad. I am thinking of getting a nice, large one too.

madmatt said:
Hardware (still in the box) Photos

http://fusion.unsolvedmedia.com/project/photos/hardware1.jpg
http://fusion.unsolvedmedia.com/project/photos/hardware2.jpg
http://fusion.unsolvedmedia.com/project/photos/hardware3.jpg

The two 92mm fans and my "cold gray" floppy drive should be in today so I plan on flipping on the power for the first time. More photos coming...
Wow - you make your bed real tight. where you ever in the military?

I like that case, looks much better than the pics I saw online :)

Saz, the pad is awesome. Best pad I've ever used.

Derek, I have OCD.

The case is awesome, but then again I haven't had any thing turned on yet. The cable management works nicely.

I may end up buying that case. I am getting some new furniture, and the Antec P160W won't fit where I need it to, as it's too tall.

*Grumble*

Any chance you can provide some pics of the inside of that case?

*sigh* What a bad night. I came home to install the two 92mm case fans (that went well), my two 716A DVD drives (that went well), and then I decided to power on the box for the first time.

Just before I powered it on I noticed the front cover wasn't on right. So I unplugged every thing (or so I thought). I turn over the case, get it buttoned up right, and move on. However, I forgot to unplug my USB receiver and it was bent right over. Worthless now. I called Logitech and explained the situation to them. After calling myself an idiot like five times they decided to replace it for free because they felt bad.

I configure my BIOS. I install Windows. All goes well (or so it appears thus far). I install my drivers (all the latest) for the chipset, SATA, video, audio, etc. We should be good to go, right? Nope.

Still one device uninstalled. Described as "Unknown Device on Intel 82801GH (ICH7DH) LPC Interface Controller - 27B0". No clue what this is. No clue why it wasn't installed when I installed the chipset.

Anyway. The case is another story. I went to press the reset button and it broke. Not happy. It doesn't appear that quiet either, but that could be me and the Intel stock heatsink. It sounds like a jet when it's on.

So needless to say I've had enough of the thing tonight and I'm back on my old system. Time to do some research.

Intels Stock HSF is HORRIBLE for noise...

I got one word for ya:

ZALMAN!

Got some extra files from DriverAgent which may help:

http://driveragent.com/archive/9113/preview

Tough to hear about the Reset button, I had a similar issue with my power button. For me, however, it's not as much of a disappointment since I'll be ditching the case shortly.

Glad Logitech is going to help you out, at least that is a positive :)

mlakrid, you can say that again. I looked at the ZALMAN's and they are all huge. But I guess I am going to have to get one. Do you have a favorite?

Out of curiosity what mousepad did you buy?

I have an XTRAC, the thing is HUGE, and it helped a ton for accuracy on CS:S

:D maybe some day I will be as good as Sazar :)

how big is it, and did you take photos?

fUnc Industries sUrface 1030 -- I love it. If I only bought one thing during this upgrade project it would be this mouse pad.

As soon as I have the time I will take pictures of inside the tower and of my desk with every thing set up.

madmatt said:
fUnc Industries sUrface 1030 -- I love it. If I only bought one thing during this upgrade project it would be this mouse pad.

As soon as I have the time I will take pictures of inside the tower and of my desk with every thing set up.

MMMM... Pictures... kind of like Sazars cookies..

:D

I'll make sure I post pictures if you could be so kind to recommend a ZALMAN heatsink. =]

Matt, did you get anything resolved so far?

the item you are having issues with (driver-wise) if it is not a component you are using, you should be able to disable the item/controller through BIOS.

Heck, it will probably speed up your boot time.

The reset-button is not a big issue though I am shocked it was that easy to break. The noise issue can be resolved pretty easily.

Listen to the PSU and the CPU hsf individually and see which is louder. Those, in my experience, are the loudest components typically.

You can always shield the noise one way or the other.

I honestly can't figure out what it might be. I disabled the LPT port, COM port, secondary SATA ports, onboard audio, etc.

The reset button busted the first time I used it. I glued it and hopefully it will hold.

Logitech is replacing the receiver for free. Thank you Logitech. But they said it will take about 10 days.

It sounds like the CPU HSF. So it defiantly needs to be replaced with something that performs better. But all the ZALMAN's look huge (and the comments others have left say the same). The one Derek pointed out looks like it will work but I know an all copper HSF is better.

Get a rheostat jobbie to manually control fan-speeds.

My hsf sounded like a cat in heat till I got that little jobbie, and now I can regulate like Nate Dogg and Warren G.

:smoker:

And one of those will work with the Intel HSF? Or should I still buy another HSF? Don't ZALMAN HSF's have this already built in?

Back to the LPC Interface Controller: the only thing I can find relating to that port in question (on a Dell Dimension 9100) is the floppy disk controller. Same exact description. But I swear my floppy drive was working and installed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back