HD Drive

rotjong: how exactly are you archiving them? ripping them to .avi's or something? if so.... what program are you using?

and Bman... yeah... you definitely gotta check out RE3 on BluRay. Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End isn't bad either.

get megui - very good program

Just reading through this, seems like a lot to do to get a video file. Is there a program out there that rips HD movies. 1 program would be better. Any ideas?

Yes, it takes some steps but the whole point is to keep the movie at original quality while saving space by removing the extra stuff that I don't need when I archive it.

If space isn't an issue then use AnyDVD HD and just right-click on the red fox in your systray and 'Rip Video DVD to Harddisk...' and set the applicable settings in the window that appears and click 'Copy DVD'. Take the output and create an ISO using UDF 2.5 with ImgBurn. Use virtual drive software to mount the ISO and you're all set.

Or, use ImgBurn from the beginning. Have AnyDVD HD running in the background and create an ISO image straight from your GGC-H20L and save it to your HDD. AnyDVD HD will remove the AACS and other stuff on-the-fly.

It doesn't get any easier than that! :) Hopefully Slysoft will add the ability to create an ISO when you do this in the future.

Yea I just ripped it using AnyDVD HD by itself, and it came to 34GB in size. I did change some setting in there that I thought left only the main movie but I guess I was wrong. I am going to try megui next. Also yea I need it to be in .iso format or something else that is just as easy.

Yea I just ripped it using AnyDVD HD by itself, and it came to 34GB in size. I did change some setting in there that I thought left only the main movie but I guess I was wrong. I am going to try megui next. Also yea I need it to be in .iso format or something else that is just as easy.

It is impossible to just use AnyDVD HD to do a movie-only rip. I'm assuming when you say you changed the settings that you checked the box to remove annoying adverts and trailers under the BluRay settings. This doesn't always work. It won't work on java-based BluRays right now. I'm not sure if it ever will without requiring a third-party program to remove content as the disc is ripped.

Edit: It also needs to be noted that when AnyDVD or AnyDVD HD does "remove" adverts or annoying trailers from SD DVDs, BluRays, etc, the fact is that they aren't actually physically removed. They are skipped. The content still exists but just doesn't get viewed.

I am quite unable to understand your ripping instructions, or at least how to use megui. I have it installed but there are a million options and settings to use.

I want the smallest size and best (unharmed) quality of course. So how do I do this from the beginning. I am on Vista so that comment earlier does not matter.

Do I need AnyDVD running, do I need any more software or tools other then megui?

I am quite unable to understand your ripping instructions, or at least how to use megui. I have it installed but there are a million options and settings to use.

I want the smallest size and best (unharmed) quality of course. So how do I do this from the beginning. I am on Vista so that comment earlier does not matter.

Do I need AnyDVD running, do I need any more software or tools other then megui?

You are going to need AnyDVD HD, yes. Otherwise you can't deal with the content because it would still be encrypted.

I really don't know much of anything about megui since I haven't used it but I suppose when used with x264 the results could be quite nice.

Wait, your list there isn't using megui?

Maybe that is why I was confused.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, even though there are more programs and steps with rotjong's way, I think I will be using that, I found it easier.

Thanks guys, even though there are more programs and steps with rotjong's way, I think I will be using that, I found it easier.

It may seem hard at first but it really isn't that bad. All you do with eac3to or BDInfo is use the program to locate the longest mpls which will be the movie. Once you know that you just select it with tsMuxeR and rip to 'Blu-Ray disk'. You don't even have to deselect any audio streams although removing the uncessary ones will cut down on the final size of the rip. Unfortunately, there is no built in ISO creation. So, you then take tsMuxeR's output and make the ISO with ImgBurn. Remember to make sure you set ImgBurn to use UDF 2.5 when you create the ISOs for BluRay.

It really isn't as hard as it may seem. :) Give it a shot and you'll see.

Now, there is an alternative that will result in smaller sized output but it takes far far longer. I would use RipBot264 if I were going to do this. Personally, the amount of time involved makes it too much work for me.

1. Use eac3to or BDInfo to locate the mpls file of the movie
  2. Use tsMuxeR to select the audio and video you want
  3. Use tsMuxeR to rip the movie to your HDD but for output select M2TS muxing.
  4. Use RipBot264 and select the resulting m2ts file and either output it to MP4 or MKV. I would go with MP4.
  5. Sit back and wait for it to do its work. You'll be waiting awhile. Grab a box of Snickers and a book like War and Peace. :p

Last edited:
Are all of you running the LG drives then? Where blu-ray has won the format war i was just looking to buy the pioneer blu-ray (player only) drive. Anybody have any experiance on this?

I don't know much about the HD companies and what is best, you will get your answer soon, but the only drives I have heard people talking about and that I have seen with good prices are LG.

Are all of you running the LG drives then? Where blu-ray has won the format war i was just looking to buy the pioneer blu-ray (player only) drive. Anybody have any experiance on this?

I use an LG GGC-H20L. I won't be spending money on a BluRay burner like the GGW-H20L until the price drops below 200 USD and the blank media prices become affordable. As long as the cost of HDDs per GB remain cheaper than the blank media by a long shot then I will wait. I don't own a standalone BluRay player. My computer is my player.

I just personally love the multi-format LG drives. I like LG as a drive manufacturer, period. Pioneer isn't a bad company. They make some great drives SD DVD drives, as well.

There seems to be one problem with Pioneer that I can think of. In some cases their drives and I assume the firmware are a bit on the odd side. There have been numerous reported cases of Pioneer drives ripping BluRay discs at an overly slow speed of about 4 MB/s. With the LG GGC-H20L I rip at around 6-7 MB/s. I believe the AnyDVD developers have made some tweaks to AnyDVD but in the end the problem is really on the Pioneer end and this isn't the first oddity with a Pioneer drive. The SD DVD drives have had some issues in the past as well with ripping.

There are cheaper BluRay readers out there than the LG drives but I'd stick with LG. The prices have also fallen. When I was looking at drives the GGC-H20L was closer to 200 USD and now it's like 150 USD. Shop around and see where you can get the best deal with the best return policy and shipping cost.

Edit: Sorry if there are typos. I have a nasty headache and I tend to make lots of typos as a result.

Last edited:
So rotjong, you have the same one as me. I am quite enjoying it, I do wish I had ripping abiliites but as you said the price for that drive and the media is a bit much.

That drive looks like it may be perfect! plus cheaper than the pioneer drive too :) the only thing though is the location of the eject button. rotjong & Bman, I may need your help with some pictures and dimensions if that's OK as the eject button needs to line up on my media center case.
HD160Plus_s.jpg

Any chance of seeing a bigger image, indyjones? I can't even focus my eyes on the size of that one.

What I can say very quickly is that the eject button is the same as my other LG DVD drives. Other than that I can't say much right now. It's definitely longer than my regular LG DVD burners.

I have taken some shots of mine as it is. It might be hard to see, the HD drive is longer then my DVD drive, as well you might be able to see there is a larger gap around the whole HD drive then my DVD. And the rest you can see for yourself. Sorry for the bad camera work.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/2/1137563/HDDVD%20Drive%20007.JPG
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/2/1137563/HDDVD Drive 008.JPG
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/2/1137563/HDDVD Drive 009.JPG
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/2/1137563/HDDVD Drive 010.JPG
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/2/1137563/HDDVD Drive 011.JPG

Taking this picture made me realize I need to take a can of compressed air to the front of my case. I hadn't noticed the dust you'll see in the picture. I also hadn't noticed the gap between the top LG burner and my Samsung drive. :( I need to fix that.

The shiny finish on the front may bother some people but I have a closing door on the front so I don't normally have to look at the drive. If I didn't have the door it would bug me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back