HD Drive

I have taken some shots of mine as it is. It might be hard to see, the HD drive is longer then my DVD drive, as well you might be able to see there is a larger gap around the whole HD drive then my DVD. And the rest you can see for yourself. Sorry for the bad camera work.

For those extreme close-ups ya need to hit the macro button on your camera if it has one. It'll make them crystal clear instead of all blurry as long as your hands aren't really really shaky. :)

Yea I figured something like that, i just took some quick pics.

rotjong: yeah... you NEVER notice how much dust is crammed into grooves of your case until you take a pic. Hell, the shiny plastic front of my Cosmos usually looks like it's all nice and clean.... but take a pic, and you'd beg to differ. lol.

That reminds me, I still need to buy the Cosmos S case, so expensive though.

I have taken some shots of mine as it is. It might be hard to see, the HD drive is longer then my DVD drive, as well you might be able to see there is a larger gap around the whole HD drive then my DVD. And the rest you can see for yourself. Sorry for the bad camera work.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/2/1137563/HDDVD Drive 007.JPG
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/2/1137563/HDDVD Drive 008.JPG
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/2/1137563/HDDVD Drive 009.JPG
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/2/1137563/HDDVD Drive 010.JPG
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/2/1137563/HDDVD Drive 011.JPG

Thank you both, Bman what make is your top drive (above the LG) ?

Anyone who feels comfortable patching their drive firmware might want to use MediaCodeSpeedEdit on their LG GGC-H20L HD-DVD/BluRay drive. Normally I can rip at about 6-7 MB/s. After patching the latest 1.03 firmware with the latest version of MCSE I am now reaching speeds of 20 MB/s when ripping a BluRay disc!

Obviously, if you don't know what you are doing when it comes to patching firmware and flashing firmware then you should stay away from doing this. I take zero responsibility for anyone doing this and screwing up their drive.

Edit: I've used MCSE for quite awhile but missed the addition of ability to patch the LG HD-DVD/BluRay drive firmware until I noticed it today.

Last edited:
bman don't do what rotjong suggests, not because its bad info, or that it will mess up your drive, just more the fact you will mess up your drive :p

Anyone who feels comfortable patching their drive firmware might want to use MediaCodeSpeedEdit on their LG GGC-H20L HD-DVD/BluRay drive. Normally I can rip at about 6-7 MB/s. After patching the latest 1.03 firmware with the latest version of MCSE I am now reaching speeds of 20 MB/s when ripping a BluRay disc!

Obviously, if you don't know what you are doing when it comes to patching firmware and flashing firmware then you should stay away from doing this. I take zero responsibility for anyone doing this and screwing up their drive.

Edit: I've used MCSE for quite awhile but missed the addition of ability to patch the LG HD-DVD/BluRay drive firmware until I noticed it today.

Sounds interesting, I would love to get up to those speeds with mine. Though I have no experience with this type of stuff, well at least with drives. I don't suppose there is an automative type of program to do it eh? lol

bman don't do what rotjong suggests, not because its bad info, or that it will mess up your drive, just more the fact you will mess up your drive :p

Yea I agree, would like to do it though. Oh and thanks for believing in me!! lol

Sounds interesting, I would love to get up to those speeds with mine. Though I have no experience with this type of stuff, well at least with drives. I don't suppose there is an automative type of program to do it eh? lol

For the sake of explaining, MediaCodeSpeedEdit is pretty simple to use. In many cases you can just download firmware that has already been patched but I prefer to do the patching myself and MCSE is very helpful for that.

With MediaCodeSpeedEdit you open the program and point it at the firmware that you downloaded for your drive from the manufacturer's website. Make sure the drive is supported by MCSE!! You will then be given options based upon what drive the firmware belongs to in terms of what patches can be performed. Obviously different features and changes can be made to different firmware from different drives. MediaCodeSpeedEdit supports many drives. Once you've selected the options you want patched you click 'Save' and you select where to output the patched firmware. To flash your drive you execute the firmware just as you would have used the original official firmware.

The patches for the GGC-H20L are limited to just 2 but both can be useful. The first is the increased read speed. Jumping from a max of 7 MB/s to over 20 MB/s is amazing. The other patch is an RPC2 reset patch. When you reboot your system your region changes get reset. For me that's pretty useless so I left it unpatched.

If you haven't messed around with patched firmware before, don't really understand what you are doing, or don't feel comfortable then I would, obviously, not recommend doing anything like this.

On my system patched firmware for all my drives makes things run a heck of a lot smoother and faster.

weeee! riplock removed and rpc2 firmware on my ggc-h20l :D

Of course the real question is will this reduce the lifespan of the drive or was the riplock vastly slower than the drive is naturally capable of and the artificial limit was imposed by the pressue of Big Brother. I've un-riplocked DVD drives in the past without any issues but I consider a jump as large as I made with the GGC-H20L to be insanely large.

Nonetheless, I just felt like pulling my hair out at speeds of only 7 MB/s when dealing with my BluRay discs. Hitting 20 MB/s definitely makes things a bit sweeter. Yet another reason to go with the LG HD-DVD/BluRay drive!

Have fun with your GGC-H20L! :D

For the sake of explaining, MediaCodeSpeedEdit is pretty simple to use. In many cases you can just download firmware that has already been patched but I prefer to do the patching myself and MCSE is very helpful for that.

With MediaCodeSpeedEdit you open the program and point it at the firmware that you downloaded for your drive from the manufacturer's website. Make sure the drive is supported by MCSE!! You will then be given options based upon what drive the firmware belongs to in terms of what patches can be performed. Obviously different features and changes can be made to different firmware from different drives. MediaCodeSpeedEdit supports many drives. Once you've selected the options you want patched you click 'Save' and you select where to output the patched firmware. To flash your drive you execute the firmware just as you would have used the original official firmware.

The patches for the GGC-H20L are limited to just 2 but both can be useful. The first is the increased read speed. Jumping from a max of 7 MB/s to over 20 MB/s is amazing. The other patch is an RPC2 reset patch. When you reboot your system your region changes get reset. For me that's pretty useless so I left it unpatched.

If you haven't messed around with patched firmware before, don't really understand what you are doing, or don't feel comfortable then I would, obviously, not recommend doing anything like this.

On my system patched firmware for all my drives makes things run a heck of a lot smoother and faster.

Thanks for that, I think I will give it a try later today. I have done firmware stuff before just not much of it, and it seems pretty easy for this. One question though, were can I get the updated firmware you used for the drive, the one for the updated speeds?

And does everyone have the GGC-H20L or something, geez lol

Of course the real question is will this reduce the lifespan of the drive or was the riplock vastly slower than the drive is naturally capable of and the artificial limit was imposed by the pressue of Big Brother. I've un-riplocked DVD drives in the past without any issues but I consider a jump as large as I made with the GGC-H20L to be insanely large.

Nonetheless, I just felt like pulling my hair out at speeds of only 7 MB/s when dealing with my BluRay discs. Hitting 20 MB/s definitely makes things a bit sweeter. Yet another reason to go with the LG HD-DVD/BluRay drive!

Have fun with your GGC-H20L! :D

Riplock is an artificial restriction of read speed to discourage ripping of discs that your drive will read. If it's going to take longer to rip than it would to drive to the store and buy another copy, what are you more likely to do?

Thanks for that, I think I will give it a try later today. I have done firmware stuff before just not much of it, and it seems pretty easy for this. One question though, were can I get the updated firmware you used for the drive, the one for the updated speeds?

I haven't seen an already patched firmware for download. Get the 1.03 firmware from the LG site and then 'Load' it into MCSE and then tick the 'increase' box under the 'Drive settings'. The click on 'Save' and you will save the firmware with '_speedpatched' added to the filename. That is the Windows-based flasher. No need to use a boot disk or anything. See attached images.

And does everyone have the GGC-H20L or something, geez lol

It's a very popular and great quality drive. :)

Attachments

• LG firmware.jpg
    LG firmware.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 144
  • LG firmware output.jpg
    LG firmware output.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 138
Does having it region free matter if you can just rip with AnyDVD HD anyways?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back