Encyclopedia of XP tweaks

Well Zaloods recompile of the tweaks... needed to do a few of em ;) - had already done all of my services.

Got the system just the way I want it now, so something will break tonight or tomorrow :D

well, to be honest, I've been deleting some of my own spam on this thread, just to keep it under 1000 posts, as I said I'd be locking it up when I reahed 1000.

so what's the verdict?

should I lock it up, or leave it go.

you know, just about every safe tweak is in this thread, and though once in a while there might be something new, I think this thread has it all.

so I leave it to you guys.\\

lock it up, or leave it go over 1000?

you decide

it's my baby, and I ain't gonna do it till I'm told to do it.

I'll see everybody tomorrow

Let it go... There will be new files and programs that people will want to know about and this is the place to post them!!!!

why dont you close the thread at original target of 1000
BUT !!!!
srart a new thread called " TWEAKS ENCYCLOPEDIA # 2 " ???
this will make it easier - for old user - to find the new stuff

I think that's a fine idea

however, there aren't any tweaks left for the second part, so that threade will be short indeed.

here's a tweak till we decide to close this or not;

well, I ran into this animation, I figured out an easy way save those unsaveable animations...usually flash

first, let your webpage download the animation you want to save.

then, make the web page smaller then your desktop, because you're going to need to drag a file onto your desktop.

ok

now, with the animation down;oaded, on your browser hit tools, internet options.

in the window that pops up, hit settings

then hit view files.

now, this is the important part.

in the new window that pops up, you have to hit "view", arrange icons by, and then hit "modified"

now, your most recent files will be either the very first, or the very last of these files.

from here, you will be able to find the file that will be the animation...it might be one of a couple candidates, so you will have to open the files till you find the one you want.

yes, windows will warn you, but I've never had a problem opening these.

now, when you do find the animation, you have to drag it onto your desktop.

once it's on your desktop, you have to open it manually...usually with ie.

choose to open this file permanently with ie, and you're set

nice

Got lost in this part:
Tools-->internet options--->...?
I got no "settings" in the window that pops up!! or "view files"
I have XP, could you be more especific? .
Thanks

pretty simple, pretty quick
]
I don't use my quick launch anymore, I have keyboard shortcuts for everything I want

everyone knows I hate clutter, so I dissabled quicklaunch

most if you use quicklaunch, so this is not for you

rightclick the start button, go to properties, go to taskbar

click or unclick hide the quicklaunch, according to your use

believe it or not, this is goimg to br one to be one of your most usefull tweaks, and it is absolutely the most simple.

just thougt of it...great!

right click on your favorites, create a new folder...call it search.

put this at the top of your favorites list, and do not put anything inside of it!!!!

that's right

now, when you want to do a quick search of you favorites, first hit the empty folder...this gives your keyboard access to the favorites list.

so, now, just hit the first letter or number in the favorite you want to go to, hit enter, and you'r there

sweet

Originally posted by dealer
believe it or not, this is goimg to br one to be one of your most usefull tweaks, and it is absolutely the most simple.

just thougt of it...great!

right click on your favorites, create a new folder...call it search.

put this at the top of your favorites list, and do not put anything inside of it!!!!

that's right

now, when you want to do a quick search of you favorites, first hit the empty folder...this gives your keyboard access to the favorites list.

so, now, just hit the first letter or number in the favorite you want to go to, hit enter, and you'r there

sweet

you're my hero :)

here we go;

put a dictionary in your favorites tree, or links tool bar.

go to this site.

you will see in red, the word "dictionary"

just drag that over to your favorites tree...I would rename the dictionary to all caps so it stands out.

to preview what this will do, cut and paste the following into your address bar;

javascript:Qr=document.selection.createRange().text;if(!Qr){void(Qr=prompt('Enter word to find in Merriam-Webster Dictionary:',''))}if(Qr)location.href='http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?'+escape(Qr)+' '

hey guys i was wondering if this tweak is dangerous to apply to pentium 4 chip. I heard windowsxp default L2cache is set at 256 and was wondering if i can tweak it to 512. also doing so, will i notices any performance differance?

Originally posted by FoSsiL
hey guys i was wondering if this tweak is dangerous to apply to pentium 4 chip. I heard windowsxp default L2cache is set at 256 and was wondering if i can tweak it to 512. also doing so, will i notices any performance differance?

I assume this is the key you're talking about.
KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager \Memory Management\SecondLevelDataCache
REG_DWORD

Short story:
The tweak makes no difference on a Pentium 4.

Long story (read if you're interested ;)):
The default value is, in fact, not set to 256K. When the value of the key is set to 0, Windows attempts to find out the amount of L2 cache through the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL)
This works perfectly in the case of P3 and P4 processors, so it is automatically detected as either 256K or 512K, depending on the actual amount.
Processors earlier than the PII have direct-mapped L2 caches, because of which the amount of L2 cache can't be automatically detected. In this case, you need to set the value of the registry key manually so that Windows knows how much L2 cache your processor has.

Hope that helped :)

Anybody know if there is a similar tweak to the max icon cache but for thumbnails? I have a folder with a lot of them and it loads VERY slow.

Thanks

Do your folders sometimes forget their settings? try applying the following...worked for me =)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

Can you explain more? I dont understand what I have to change.

Thanks

if you dont know what to do then you probably shouldnt be doing it....

but anyways your supposed to save that as a reg file and merge it with your registry. This makes changes to your registry so as usual create a restore point and make changes at your own risk.

Does the name of file matter?

I thought I had to go to those keys and change something.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back