Dell XPS M1330: Third time is the charm?

Re: The wait is over again, the replacement for the M1330 has shipped!

Matt,

I was checking into what could be causing the problem with your M1330, and one of our engineers asked if I could get the system sent in to me so I could get it over to him for testing. If you have not already shipped both systems back can you please contact me so I can set up to capture one to my desk. If you have already shipped them back can you send me a PM with the reference (DPS or CRA) number for either the exchange or the return (I can get the rest of the info I need from that number). I might be able to capture the system when it gets to Dell, but before it goes through the normal returns reprocess (this will not interfere with your credit return).

Larry
Dell Customer Advocate

Larry,

The first unit has been shipped back already (received by Dell on Friday). I still have the second unit. A third will be shipped after it is received and tested by REC.

They upgraded the CPU (from a T7300 to a T7500) and the SSD (from 32GB to 64GB) at no additional cost.

Once I receive the new system I will PM you to make arrangements. Thank you.

Could you give me the name of the REC tech you are working with? I used to be in that department and sit right next to them, so I can easily find that person to compare notes and let him (her?) know the engineers would like one of the systems for testing. Thank you.

Larry
Dell Customer Advocate

His name is Clarke (UID 0136446).

He sits three rows away. I'll work with him to make sure things get properly handled. Unfortunately he is out today, but since we are waiting on the next replacement that shouldn't delay anything.

Larry
Dell Customer Advocate

Thanks Larry. I appreciate your help on this matter.

Have a cookie.

Thank you! ;)

Hey Larry. I received word from Clarke that he has the replacement and that the two of you are now working together. Keep me posted. Thanks, again for your help.

Matt,

Sorry for the delay on this. I have been out sick and just got a chance to look at the system today. We powered it up and with the factory installed OS and apps, it took about 15 seconds from button press to desktop; 20-30 seconds for a full restart (desktop to desktop, with everything ready to go and no hourglass). Unless I am mistaken this is a huge improvement over what you were seeing with the previous two systems.

Clarke has the system boxed back up and it will be shipping to you tonight (delivery will most likely be on Monday). He will be emailing you shortly with info on the shipment, as well as sending you an airbill to ship the M1330 you have now back to me so I can get it over to our engineers so they can figure out why it runs so slow.

Larry
Dell Customer Advocate

Hey Larry. I talked to both Clarke and Satish yesterday. That is great news. I can hardly wait for the new notebook. Thanks for your help. I will keep you posted.

So what actually happened - I don't see what the nuts and bolts of the solution were?

My guess is a bad lot of SanDisk 32GB SSD drives. But Larry will be able to tell us more once he receives the system from me.

So what actually happened - I don't see what the nuts and bolts of the solution were?

Honestly, I'm not sure what the problem is. Since the larger SSD works, and it is a different brand, Matt is probably right about it being a problem with that particular batch of drives. Once I get the system to our engineers they will be able to do whatever they need to in order to find the problem and either create a fix, or make changes to prevent it from happening again.

At least my fear that this latest system would have the same problem was unfounded. ;)

Larry
Dell Customer Advocate

This was just like reading one of my Dell workorders.

I had the priviledge of actually going out to Dell in Ireland just as the D620 was launching and visiting their base of tech support operations (it was a while ago all I can remember is that it reminded me of 24 and everyone had triple screens) and actually having one of our tech guys calling Dell while I was there.

Saz: You need to get Dell to start bribing me, **** are ahead at the moment :p - even though all our work machines are Dells -- looking at getting an over-pimped 630 at the moment.

Larry: Welcome of course ;)

Last edited:
Bribes?

**** is bribing you?

I smell a lawsuit :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got my new D630 today, will be setting it up first thing in the A.M. :)

I'll be looking at getting a D630 soon enough, currently got a D610 with 2 screens on my desk and testing some stuff on a D620 on my desk.

The only D630 in the office at the moment has an encryption program we use on, which I don't need so am avoiding it. Plus I deleted some stuff in the registy and its barely hanging on, so will be erm.

Saz: Bribes are good! But I can't say I have touched any of their hardware for quite some time. I removed names to protect the innocent ;o

Derek/EP: Setting up a D630 for a client as I type this. I like the M1330 more.

EP: I've been trying to get Saz to bribe me since I started the business. He hasn't.

Larry: The new system arrived and is working flawlessly. You are going to have your hands full with the return. Since I reformat and install Vista Enterprise I had to put Vista Business OEM back on which took about three hours. The Event Viewer's System log is filled with hundreds of "iaStor" errors. My guess is a faulty batch of SanDisk SSDs. Keep me posted. Thanks, again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back