can't move temporary internet files

Why would defragging be banned?
I wouldn't let users defrag a hardrive, I would want it done sparingly, for the most part a fragmented hardrive doesn't affect performance until the drive is near full, and it certainly does affect performance during the defrag

if done too much it also adds to wear and tear on the drive with all that reading and rewriting

done with prudence it saves wear and tear on the drive with fewer seek times and arm movement overall

Well, we are allowed to "analyze", and if the drive is 50% fragmented or above we replace it.

The reason why we can't defrag is because the company I work for is owned by a larger company that has been under federal investigation for a few years due to some shady practices. As a result, we cannot defrag and have to retain all hard drives. The theory behind that is if you defrag, it can possibly interfere with being able to view certain files, or recover files that may have at one time been deleted. No one really ever looked into the validity of that, however it's not something we have control over since it's a legal mandate.

defrag can over write recoverable data on the disc as it does write to blocks more than a certain amount of times - which most recovery software cant get back, but if we are talking along the lines of federal invovlement, they have tools that can get stuff back no matter how fragmented or knackered the drive is, so wouldnt say that defraging is an issue in that respect, unless its a legal issue and the comp has agreed to replace the drive

I dont beleive that defrag can hide data from data recovery programs , but as for KC I see why now thanks.

the more you write to a drive on the same sector it over writes what is there, to some tools like getback ntfs and such they cannot get this info back, FBI tools would do it real easy

data recovery is not magical and it's not all powerful, able to overcome all wipes and all activity since the data was originally written or overwritten

no matter how sophisticated the recovery, a defrag can loose data, and while a defrag doesn't guarantee a loss of information it certainly presents the possibility, the defragged information might not be the data they're after, that data might be a few layers down and the defrag put the finnishing touch on old information erased five or six layers ago and the defrag made THAT irretrievable

that's the first thing, the second is that security wipes work, no technology can recover a properly wiped drive

think of this;

if data was always recoverable, a hardrive would have unlimited capacity since you could write in the same area over and over again and just recover the information that was overwritten

there's a myth around that no matter what you do they can recover the info, this is patently incorrect

I know all this my friends I want the numbers on defrag causeing data loss? The only real danger is if the power went off during a write, if your hard drives are that old then you deserve to loose data, the cost of drives today make not changing them your fault, but I have never yet ever seen data loss due to a defragger , not one single time, not saying it could not happen if the power failed it would, but I want links boys with numbers.. thanks

I know all this my friends I want the numbers on defrag causeing data loss? The only real danger is if the power went off during a write, if your hard drives are that old then you deserve to loose data, the cost of drives today make not changing them your fault, but I have never yet ever seen data loss due to a defragger , not one single time, not saying it could not happen if the power failed it would, but I want links boys with numbers.. thanks
power loss won't loose data, the write isn't absolute and the original data remains until the move is verafied

Hey you , I said I want links!!! :lick:

Yes a power loss is one of the listed dangers of defragging , now show me the numbers this is not one of your political debates !! :laugh:

Hey you , I said I want links!!! :lick:

Yes a power loss is one of the listed dangers of defragging , now show me the numbers this is not one of your political debates !! :laugh:
didn't see you asked for links.

"a power loss is listed as one of the dangers"

that's the same danger as writing any file during a power failure...

actually, the danger is probably even less on defragging files because the power failure would have to come at the precise time the final tag is being written on the redundant file being moved

as far as links, I could google those but you're on your own for that, ...if after everything you read from your search you're still worried about a power loss causing data loss then don't defrag, you aren't really gonna loose performance till the drive is almost full

but don't forget, in vista, microsoft has the os defragging the drive by default in the backround, they're not concerned about loosing data from moving files and I don't believe I ever heard of data loss moving files during a power failure

Last edited:
So...did you ever figure out how to solve your original problem? I'm finding the exact same thing.

Still stumped by this one. IE is fixated on AppData\Local\Temp directory (which contains Cookies, History, Low, and TIF) and will not let me move it to the correct place.

Still stumped by this one. IE is fixated on AppData\Local\Temp directory (which contains Cookies, History, Low, and TIF) and will not let me move it to the correct place.
mine actually moved it to where I wanted it to go, try as the administrator, see if that works

"Run as administrator" was one of the first things that you tried, and I tried it as well. It didn't work for either of us.

create a folder where you want the files to go, open IE - tools - internet options - under browsing history, click settings, click move folder and point it to the folder you want the files to go, click ok. It should then proceed to reboot the pc, after that the files should go to the new directory you made

Yes, that's what I've been trying since that's the only way to do it, but the bug is that it never does it even though it gives every indication that it will. The target area even already exists, as it's the proper default location: Appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temporary internet files. That's even where it used to be, until a couple months ago when IE decided to use the new location instead.

I don't even really care about the data. I just want IE to use the proper area from this point forward. It could delete all data for all it matters at this point.

If I could find where in the Registry this is set, I'm sure I could go about it that way, but it's apparently not readily findable.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

Thanks. I wish it was that easy!

Unfortunately, there is no master control for this anywhere in that section. There is the Cache branch (pointing to the wrong place) and LowCache (pointing to the right place), but they are for the History.IE5 folder (and subfolders) only. Whatever controls "Temporary Internet Files" (which is the cache, as opposed to just a history of sites visited), not to mention Cookies, is tucked away elsewhere.

I've searched for "Temporary Internet Files" in the Registry, hoping to find a path there that I could change, but it's nowhere to be found. I wonder if it's one of those encrypted keys deliberately made impossible to change any way other than the UI, which is impossible for me. I've even tried disabling UAC and IE Protected Mode, thinking that they were involved somehow, but no.

I should point out that I think the "Cache" item in these two areas are key, but they're both correct already:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back