can't move temporary internet files

Should be /Users/<name>/AppData/Local/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/xxxx.default/Cache
it seems as if my file was moved but the file appears empty even though it's not

In tried to view hidden files but that didn't work, now if I use explorer and navigate to my desktop/temporary internet files there is a file in that file that says "temporary internet files", however I can't see that content by opening the file from my desktop

weird

anyway, the defrag program still won't give me the option to defrag this file

even if it did, I don't think it's going to defrag the content, just the umbrella file and that really wouldn't do any good

will try anyway, and will try with firefox

thanx for that address j79

I used to have contact with greg hayes of raxco, I don't know if he still works for them but I just tried to get a hold of him to stop by

I hope he does, that would be nice

I also made this a feature request for the program, I wonder if they can get it done

thanx all for the help, will report if I ever get this to work with either ie or firefox

ya, greg wrote to me, he's still with raxco but doesn't frequent the forums like he used to

he tried to stop by anyway but we were upgrading our vb software (*damn that ep*)

anyway, he says pd 8 cannot defrag a folder or contents, only individual files

that's a shame because if you could get a program to set aside temporary files in some kind of file and then defrag the contents in that contiguous space it would be one incredible program

I suggested they work on it, don't know if it's possible but it seems to me if it's not, they could instead set up a container file and do it from there.

I hope they are able to come up with something along that order, would be very nice

why not try an offline defrag? i believe perfectdisk and diskeeper has this function to move system files, and others around before windows start, so seeing as nothing should be in use all should be defraged

prob miles out on this though ;)

it won't help carpo, the program doesn't sort folders and defrag the contents yet, I hope it can in the future

for now it would seem the only real solution would be to create a seperate partition for the temp files and defrag that drive

that would do the trick

i thought thats what they did in an offline defrag - seems they are either lying to us or are wording it in a way that we think we are paying for a tool that does what it claims, moving the folder to another drive looks to be your only option then.

defraggler from the ccleaner guys says it can defrag singel files and folders
don't know how good it works havent tried it and its in beta
http://www.defraggler.com/
thanx for the link, so far it looks to me like that just defrags individual files, not the contents of a folder

remember, defragging a folder is not the same as defragging the contents

if you can first defrag a folder, then defrag the contents, you've isolated data on the drive to that physical location

it would be a nice feature, I don't think any product does it yet but it certainly looks doable to me

greg is gonna get back to me on that possibility and I'm gonna download this program you posted to see what it can do too

thanx again for the link

ok, tried it, it's very easy to use and really nice and smooth, I think this app should be in everyone's program list

anyway, it did at least half the job, it can defrag folders which this did and that's probably gonna help, but it can't defrag the contents of the file

still, a great app

addendum

I assume if you first defrag the drive, then defrag this folder, you have contiguous contents of a contiguous folder

I wish there were a buffer around the folder so it wouldn't fragment from there but this is a very good start

seems to have improved performance right along the lines of a seperate partition for the file and if we can avoid that partion it's a better idea

here's what I observe, there are no benchmarks, just and oberserved improvement;

I opened history from the browswer for the first time today and it snapped right open without the typical lag that happens the first time you open that function...this was the same improvement I noticed if the file is all by iteslf on a logical drive

I think this app does the trick, someone else should give it a go and see if it adds to improvement

very happy

the first thing they should add is drag and drop

Last edited:

so I want everyone to know I am absolutely thrilled with this program

I think everyone should really give what I did a go, defragging the temp internet files all by themselves is a great time saver...with this program you don't have to move your temp files folder like I did, just navigate to it and defrag the folder...I think you're gonna be pleasantly surprised how nicely this works

it's a tad crude, there is no drag and drop which I suggested over at their support board and there is no history, so you can't reproduce your last command, would be nice if I could click and go instead of having to navigate to the file, never the less, an excellant little program

/me loves this program

Last edited:
Most recent release of defraggler also adds x64 support :)

oooh, looks great, might spring for the 8 bucks and give it a go`

[edit]

gave the trial version a go and it doesn't defrag folders, just specific files...not what I'm looking the preogram keller suggested is really good and does the job, just needs a couple of bells or whistles

I think everyone should try this, it really improves browswer performance

Last edited:
I downloaded the Defraggler and I like it, another great product from the makers of ccleaner.

oooh, looks great, might spring for the 8 bucks and give it a go`

[edit]

gave the trial version a go and it doesn't defrag folders, just specific files...not what I'm looking the preogram keller suggested is really good and does the job, just needs a couple of bells or whistles

I think everyone should try this, it really improves browswer performance
Is that your opinion or do you have any statistics to backup the fact that defragging your temporary internet files will actually speed up browsing? Have you confirmed is this is only an IE thing or FF ?

Is that your opinion or do you have any statistics to backup the fact that defragging your temporary internet files will actually speed up browsing? Have you confirmed is this is only an IE thing or FF ?
just my observation without any benchmarks what so ever

phffft

give it a go

Har, was just asking ;)

I may, but mostly use my work laptop and defragging of any kind, let alone just the files you specify, is actually banned and against corporate policy.

That being said, I will gracefully exit this thread :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back