Alienware Laptop?

Well, it's final. I purchased my Alienware laptop today. I didn't want to get something better than my desktop, so I was able to cut the price down a little bit.

Now the wait begins, 14-20 days before it ships.

Well, it's final. I purchased my Alienware laptop today. I didn't want to get something better than my desktop, so I was able to cut the price down a little bit.

Now the wait begins, 14-20 days before it ships.

madmatt... do you think you could take and post pics when you get it? just like the outside of the box, it's contents laid out, the laptop from different angles... and a 3dmark screenshot? ;)

Hey Matt, what color/colour ya gettin???

You stike me as the type to get the White one, but I'm leaning more toward you gettin the Darker Blue one.

Originally posted by gonaads
Hey Matt, what color/colour ya gettin???

You stike me as the type to get the White one, but I'm leaning more toward you gettin the Darker Blue one.

really gonaads? I woulda thought you would get a hot pink one with sparkles :cool:

I went with space black (w/ silver) to match my desktop PC. Also got the optional keyboard and mouse to match.

Originally posted by Sazar
really gonaads? I woulda thought you would get a hot pink one with sparkles :cool:

Now you ARE refering to Matt... Riiiiiiight???:D

Me, I like the Darker Blue one.

You... you probably wish for the Alien Green.:p

I was going to get the consp. blue, decided to make it match.

madmatt... you should do a whole article w/ pics on the arrival and unpacking, setting up of your new baby
blink.gif

Originally posted by madmatt
I was going to get the consp. blue, decided to make it match.

/me decides to wait and see if there are any more colors matt gonna put down here :cool:

heh. NO.

I WAS going to get consp. blue.
I GOT space black to make it match.

=]

The only thing I cannot find on the site (or in the Gear Shop) is a car adaptor. Does anyone know if any car adaptor will work or if I have to have one specific for Alienware laptops.. And, where I can find one?

contact their technical support department or wait til you get the laptop and see what kind of connector is uses.

Originally posted by madmatt
The only thing I cannot find on the site (or in the Gear Shop) is a car adaptor. Does anyone know if any car adaptor will work or if I have to have one specific for Alienware laptops.. And, where I can find one?

You may have to go with their AC adapter and a power inverter for your car.

And Matt if you did go that route you gotta figure out what size inverter to get.

Here are two (2) ways to figure that out.
First The Short Way: The size you choose depends on the watts (or amps) of what you want to run (find the power consumption by referring to the specification plate on the appliance or tool). We recommend you buy a larger model than you think you'll need.

Example: You want to power a computer with a 17" monitor, some lights,
and a radio.

Computer: 300 Watts
2 - 60 Watt lights: 120 Watts
Radio: 10 Watts
Total Needed: 430 Watts

For this application, you would minimally need a 500 W inverter, and should give some thought to a larger one, as there will likely be a time when you wish you'd bought a bigger model ... in this example, you might decide you'd like to run a fan while you compute, or let the kids watch TV.

And The Longer Way: Determine Continuous Load and Starting Load: You need to determine how much power your tool or appliance (or combination of them that you would use at the same time) requires to start up (starting load), and also the continued running requirements (continuous load).

What is meant by the terms "continuous-2000 watts" and "peak surge-4000 watts" is that some appliances or tools, such as ones with a motor, require an initial surge of power to start up ("starting load" or "peak load"). Once started, the tool or appliance requires less power to continue to operate ("continuous load")

Helpful formulas:

Multiply: AMPS X 120 (AC voltage) = WATTS
This formula yields a close approximation of the continuous load of the appliance

Multiply: WATTS X 2 = Starting Load
This formula yields a close approximation of the starting load of the appliance, though some may require an even greater starting load. Induction motors such as air conditioners, refrigerators, freezers and pumps may have a start up surge of 3 to 7 times the continuous rating.

Most often the start up load of the appliance or power tool determines whether an inverter has the capability to power it.

For example, you have a freezer with a continuous load of 4 amps, and a start up load of 12 amps:

4 amps x 120 volts = 480 watts continuous
12 amps x 120 volts = 1440 watts starting load

You would need an inverter with peak-surge rating greater than 1440 watts.

You'd think they would sell them. One of my bud's told me he has one, but it cost him ~$100, but it has other adaptors included, such as a Europian power plug thing.

It's possible they (Alienware) don't make a Car adapter because they can't make one that has enough of a wattage rating for your Laptop. And if anything goes... bellup, then they would have to cover it (warranty). This way if you buy a generic adapter, you and only you are responsible if you fry yer Laptop... Kinda Sucks... big time.:mad: :confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back