Alienware Laptop?

N

nxtno1

So its after christmas and I finally have the money to get a laptop, I am considering an alienware, wanted to know if there any complaints or problems with them and what laptop you would recommend. thanks

You getting one of those "green" ones? They look wild. Alienware seems to be a good product. Fujitsu and Toshiba seem to have good laptops as well.

Originally posted by nxtno1
So its after christmas and I finally have the money to get a laptop, I am considering an alienware, wanted to know if there any complaints or problems with them and what laptop you would recommend. thanks

area 51 laptop is nice... expensive yes but extremely powerful...

remember though that there are no mobile video cards that will compete with the top desktop cards... BUT the latop can be used to game with @ lower res :)

I am also in the market for a laptop, and I stopped at Alienware.com and priced them, over $3000. I'll have to pass on that. =)

Originally posted by madmatt
I am also in the market for a laptop, and I stopped at Alienware.com and priced them, over $3000. I'll have to pass on that. =)
What about that currency that you make on your printer....oops....said too much. :eek:

alienware is way overpriced. dell makes fine laptops.

inspiron 8200 with:

p4 2.2ghz
512mb pc2100
radeon 9000 64mb
15" ultrasharp uxga (1600x1200, wide-angle)
dvd/cdrw combo drive
free additional battery (2 total)

for $2,348. look into it. capable of 6500 3dmarks.

Originally posted by taurus
alienware is way overpriced. dell makes fine laptops.

inspiron 8200 with:

p4 2.2ghz
512mb pc2100
radeon 9000 64mb
15" ultrasharp uxga (1600x1200, wide-angle)
dvd/cdrw combo drive
free additional battery (2 total)

for $2,348. look into it. capable of 6500 3dmarks.

true but the reason people buy alienware is the product.. and alienware is famous for the NAME and what it brings to the table..

here is the product :area51 laptop

I mean just look @ the processor you are getting with the machine... there is a cheaper model too with a slower cpu... @ 2.0 ghz and less ram and hdd space and what not...

seeing all that.. spending 2800 on the 2.8ghz equipped area51 laptop IS worth it... if you have the money...

i checked it out, sazar. point taken. }:>

hell, i configured it down to $2978 for a 3.06ghz, 512mb, 20gb, dvd, and extra battery. everything i'd ever need in a laptop.

I changed my mind, I'll be placing my order within the next week.

dang someone stop me...

/me thinks he has too much influence over decisions of the mortals here :)

kudos lads..

for taurus... I would rather go wih a 2.8 ghz nad bigger hdd than a smaller one UNLESS all you do is move stuff around... 20 gb is not that big..

of course you do have USB hdd's so that should be fine...

my $0.02

lol, did i influence someone to spend $3000 bucks? yikes, hope not. }:>

sazar, the laptop i have now has 20 gigs and all i need on it is games and basic programs so it does fine. but the 40gb drive is probably a worthy upgrade. i would advise against the 60gb drive though, as it has a slower rotational speed. when it comes to laptop harddrives, you need all the performance you can get.

and you don't think the extra advantages of hyper-threading are worth it in the 3.06ghz chip? from what i know about it, it's a nice feature. but i'm not an expert on it.

Hey, I've been a good boy this year. I deserve something for it. =]

Bleh...with $3,000 go buy a desktop computer that can compete with Deep Blue.

Originally posted by taurus
lol, did i influence someone to spend $3000 bucks? yikes, hope not. }:>

sazar, the laptop i have now has 20 gigs and all i need on it is games and basic programs so it does fine. but the 40gb drive is probably a worthy upgrade. i would advise against the 60gb drive though, as it has a slower rotational speed. when it comes to laptop harddrives, you need all the performance you can get.

and you don't think the extra advantages of hyper-threading are worth it in the 3.06ghz chip? from what i know about it, it's a nice feature. but i'm not an expert on it.

well ok if you put it that way...

but you are paying over 300 bucks for a 200mhz increase in speed... and ht is not a winner in every situation btw..

if the price is worth it... get it.. it IS the top processor on the market @ the mo..

Here's a quote from this site's review...

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,103067,00.asp

The Area-51m scored an impressive 102 on PC WorldBench 4, second in our Windows XP Pro notebook tests only to a much less expensive ($2199) Micro Express NP 5240 that scored 107. Remarkably similar in configuration and design to the Alienware notebook (except that the NP 5240 relies on SDRAM instead of DDR SDRAM), the Micro Express supports a lower display resolution (which likely helped boost its final PC WorldBench 4 score).

Note: The Alienware is a hot machine--literally. Despite carrying more fans than a sunbelt locker room, parts of this notebook became quite warm during normal usage.

The Area-51m isn't for frequent business travelers. Its generic-looking chassis is a mammoth 13 by 11.4 by 1.7 inches. And even with a second battery, the unit conked out after 3 hours, 4 minutes in our tests. But if your idea of networking is to sit in a room and compete with 500 other gamers, you'll find plenty to like here--assuming you can get past the hefty price.

Well thanks for all the information fellas. I actually went with the Sager NP5660 Supra from www.powernotebooks.com They have a page that tells you who makes most of the big name laptops and Clevo makes both Sager and Alienware. They are exactly the same laptop except for the pretty colors. I was going to get the alienware with the P4 3.06 but it has a 5 week waiting list so I called Sager and they said alienware has had a 5 week waiting list on that product since the end of october and that it is still being tested. Sager claims that they get their laptops at least 3 to 4 weeks before alienware and the p4 3.06 with HT is still almost 2 months away. Anyway I got
Sager NP5660 SUPRA
15" UXGA TFT Active Matrix w/ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 w/64MB DDR,
2.8GHz Intel Pentium® 4 Processor w/512k L2 Cache - 533MHz System Bus Speed,
40GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive at 5,400 RPM,
1,024MB (2 DIMMS) PC2100 DDR Memory,
Combo 8X DVD/24x10x24 CD-RW w/Softwares,
24X CD ROM for Modular Bay,
3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive,
Built-in 56k V.90 Data/Fax Modem,
Built-in 10/100BaseT Ethernet w/RJ-45 Jack,

Built-in IEEE 1394 (Firewire),
Smart Li-ion Battery,
Secondary Smart Lithium-ion Battery for Modular Bay,

Cost me $ 2580.00 Thanks again for your help

Wish I had that money sozz I could get Laptop...:(

Better yet X Box and the on line setup and about 10 games.:happy:

Originally posted by nxtno1
Sager NP5660 SUPRA
15" UXGA TFT Active Matrix w/ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 w/64MB DDR,
2.8GHz Intel Pentium® 4 Processor w/512k L2 Cache - 533MHz System Bus Speed,
40GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive at 5,400 RPM,
1,024MB (2 DIMMS) PC2100 DDR Memory,
Combo 8X DVD/24x10x24 CD-RW w/Softwares,
24X CD ROM for Modular Bay,
3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive,
Built-in 56k V.90 Data/Fax Modem,
Built-in 10/100BaseT Ethernet w/RJ-45 Jack,

Built-in IEEE 1394 (Firewire),
Smart Li-ion Battery,
Secondary Smart Lithium-ion Battery for Modular Bay,

Cost me $ 2580.00 Thanks again for your help

NICE!

Originally posted by Pythro
Bleh...with $3,000 go buy a desktop computer that can compete with Deep Blue.

Uhm, you must've missed the point of this thread. IT SAYS "... LAPTOP". Which means we are looking for a LAPTOP. Get it? A LAPTOP? NOT A DESKTOP.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back