Active Desktop Tutorial

what error? your browser opens and says page cannot be displayed?

if so, change it to "javascript:window.close();" instead of "javascript:void(0);"

hmmm......well that got ride of the error, but my folder still does not launch. it just closes, any ideas as to why it won't exec. my .vbs

What file system are you running, FAT32 or NTFS?
Did you create a shortcut to this folder and put it in C:\WINDOWS?
Tell me the name of your shortcut and paste your .VBS file for the folder.

I'm using NTFS, and yes I'm putting the shortcut in c:\windows.... the name of the shortcut is "music" the .vbs file is...

Dim oShell
Set oShell = WScript.CreateObject ("WScript.shell")
oShell.run "music"
Set oShell = Nothing

.... and I saved as music.vbs but one question does it matter if the shortcut is to a folder and not an exe file, because i can get everything else to run! just not this folder.

by the way.. thanks for all the help :)

I had a funny thing happen. When I use the HTML on the desktop it works fine, until I use TweakUI from powertoys to remove the trashcan from desktop. Then instead of displaying the HTML it just shows me a blank grey screen.
Any Clue?

Thanks in advance? :D

Sune

nah i mean, so is that how you convert to 8.3 format?
i dont get it......
is there an option where the computer will auto convert to 8.3 format? it would be so much easier
because i cant access the photoshop 7.0 folder :(

re: Notepad not saving

Thanks madmatt, and yes I fell for the space again :)

Anyway, tried the modified code, but still having the same problem. I guess it just doesn't like me!

It's been a long day, and gonna be an even longer one tomoz, so I'm off to bed. Will give this some time over the next few days, but if you think of anything.....

Cheers!
mP

Nex: i think that you need a photoshop shortcut. i have photoshop installed, and it didn't work to use dos names at all. however, with a shortcut everything works perfectly..

vdubVR6: i had a shortcut that opened a folder aswell (it used to be my music folder as a matter of fact), and it worked fine. have you tried making the shortcut again? like right clicking and going to "create shortcut" then removing any spaces in the name. if it is the My Music folder, then you need to change it to MyMusic or Music. Let us know if this works.

vdubVR6, I did exactly what Piett said when I created my shortcuts for 'my folders' and it worked like a charm.

sshenriksen, simply right click the desktop, arrange icons by, uncheck 'show desktop icons'.

NeX, what is the long format to photoshop.exe, I will convert it for you.

madPlanet, when you have the time, feel free to message me on AIM or MSNM, both usernames are in my profile.

For anyone trying to find the 8.3 file extensions

navigate to the folder (in Nex's case C:\progra~1\adobe\)
then type DIR /X
that will show you the files and folders in 8.3 naming system and longfile name system

Photoshop 6.0
8.3 folder name is PHOTOS~1.0

Dont ask me why its that, but I hope that info helps

Also Matt, thnx a lot man, wicked tutorial I am drawin up my desktop now.
Also I love the dtop you got now, how do you get the system stats along the bottom, and are those messenger contacts or XP-erience contacts down the side?

Geffy.
Thanks for the help Mate.
I forgot all my DOS commands, good tip. I will have to remember that.
My pleasure in providing the tutorial, it's my way of giving back.
The stats are provided via CoolMon.
MSN Messenger.

np :eek:)

Coolmon, is there something built into that to put the stats on the desktop or is that a hidden secret?

Also do you have any plans on hinting what one would need to get the messenger contacts on the desktop that is really cool.

http://www.arsware.org/coolmon/
Very easy to setup, just takes some time to get it looking just right.

I plan on releasing more of what you see on my desktop in the future. My next project (before tutorial v3) is the xperience active desktop block. I am also working on getting my own website online.

Thanks again.

Thnx for the coolmon link.

Cool I will be waitin for those new bits.
Goodluck with the XP-erience block and your website man, whats the site about?

Can anyone tell why i get the following error when trying to launch my internet connection by clicking on the link i made?

Okay guys, THANKS I got it to work!! Just needed to redo the shortcuts and shorten a couple file names to void error. But when I restart I have to redo the html and vbs file over again(maybe b/c of my anitvirus) But either way I'm just glad I got it to work finaly!!:). And djwhite why are you using a vbs file to launch internet explorer why don't you just write a ahref like
<a href="http://xp-erience.org">XP DOT ORG!</a>

djwhite, I would need to know more information. Paste your VBS file contents and your a HREF statement.

When I apply my html file to my active desktop, all that appears is a small square in the middle of the screen that contains a small portion of the file. How do I get the file to cover the entire desktop?

Thanks in advance

Members online

No members online now.

Latest forum posts

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back