Active Desktop Tutorial

XzyluM, just follow the Program Launch section of Madmatt's tutorial.

Already been through the tutorial...understand it fully as well. The problem is, I can't seem to get a shortcut to My Computer or Control Panel. The shortcuts have to be done manually, however when you go to create a new shortcut and browse, there's no way to get a My Computer or Control Panel shortcut? Or is it?

Re: re: Notepad not saving

Hi!

First I want to say thanks to madmatt. This is one of the coolest tutorials i've ever read. :)

But then: Is there already a solution for madPlanets problem. Because i have the same problem.

I tried the code in the tutorial first, then the modified code, but:
Posted by madPlanet
Anyway, tried the modified code, but still having the same problem. I guess it just doesn't like me!

My system is win XP, NTFS, IE6.0.

If there is a solution please post it to the forum. Thanks.

Dawud

I got those shortcuts to work by letting windows create the shortcut.

Posted by XzyluM
Already been through the tutorial...understand it fully as well. The problem is, I can't seem to get a shortcut to My Computer or Control Panel. The shortcuts have to be done manually, however when you go to create a new shortcut and browse, there's no way to get a My Computer or Control Panel shortcut? Or is it?

to get a shortcut for My Computer or Control Panel, just drag the My Computer and the Control Panel icons off of the start bar and there you have your shortcuts. then just copy them to your Windows folder. make sure that you remove spaces though.

Anyone knows how to get the launched program always open maximized ??

Under shortcut properties I've tried to change Run: maximized . .
this still doesn't help . . even tho it works by testing to double click the shortcut itself.

This problem doesn't apply in launching a folder . . any folder opened maximized or the last state it was opened . .

thanks

My Computer
Open Explorer
Click Desktop
Right Click "My Computer"
Create Shortcut
Drag to C:\WINDOWS

Control Panel
Open Explorer
Navigate to C:\WINDOWS
Right Click
New
Shortcut
Input "control.exe"
Name the shortcut
Finish

Dawud: Not good news, still haven't resolved this, but its good to hear I'm not alone - thought it was me for a moment!

As and when I find a fix, I'll post it here..
mP

Re: Notepad not saving - fixed

Ok, sorted it, my notepad is now saving and loading as expected.

What did I do?
In the html body where there is javascript, I removed the semicolons. So....

<body bgcolor="#D8D8D8" onLoad="loadFile('d:\\qnotes.txt');">

changed to....
<body bgcolor="#D8D8D8" onLoad="loadFile('d:\\qnotes.txt')">

and....

<a onClick="setFile('d:\\qnotes.txt');" href="javascript:window.close();">

became....
<a onClick="setFile('d:\\qnotes.txt')" href="javascript:window.close()">

Well, works for me! HTH
mP

Re: Notepad not saving

@madPlanet

Thanks a lot! Works fine for me too!

Greetings,

dawud

whoa. weird bug. sorry about that.

hehe np.

How about a desktop calculator? I wonder if it could be done with an image map??? Anyone working on one?
mP

how can you include the contents into a folder? i want to have my favorite pulled into a table listing down bt i'm sure how to go about this.

PurpleSmurf: I don't think its possible to read a directory with javascript (security restriction?), but it could be possible with vbscript. Might take a look at that, it sounds like a cool idea
mP

You could also do it with PHP, depending on whether or not you have it installed on your computer. I don't think you could do it across a server.

madPlanet, nice job on the calc. I bet some are going to be asking for that. good job.

glad to hear.

on a side note, when am I going to see some end results from everyone?

Hi...

I have changed and added new components onto my active desktop... see screenshot.

Now I can not get the Notepad to work...see if anyone can find any problems in this code which I copied from the notepad html file.

Code:
<html>

Thanks! :D :D ;) :D :D

Sorry my copy of code did not show up. I try again. I tried to edit the existing post but I was forbibin from it.

So here's the code:

<html>
<head>
<title>Active Desktop: Quick Notes</title>
<head>

<script language="VBSCRIPT">
<!--

Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Const ForReading = 1, ForWriting = 2, ForAppending = 3

Sub setFile (filename)
Set a = fs.CreateTextFile(filename, true)
a.Write(Document.notes.qnotes.value)
a.Close
End Sub

Sub loadFile (filename)
'Open file to read
if fs.FileExists(filename) then
Set a = fs. OpenTextFile(filename,ForReading)
Document.notes.qnotes.value = a.ReadAll()
a.Close
else
Document.notes.qnotes.value = "madmatt.fusion_dtop v5"
end if
End Sub

</script>

</head>
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" onLoad="loadFile('c:\\windows\\qnotes.txt')">
<form name="notes">
<textarea name="qnotes" cols="28" rows="7" wrap="PHYSICAL"></textarea>
<a onClick="setFile('c:\\windows\\qnotes.txt')" href="javascript:window.close()">
save
</a>
</form>

</body>
</html>

Members online

No members online now.

Latest forum posts

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back