Active Desktop Tutorial

lol i know these is gona sound like i thick but how do i save it has HTML with Notepad lol

Is it me, or do none of the 'actual' shortcuts work?
(EG, i have shortcuts for Outlook Express, Shutdown, and Restart up there, and i click on em, authorize the script w/ NAV, and it just sits there and does nothing)
Also, how do I prevent all the links from turning purple after I click on them?
Madmatt, what do you use for a computer stat tracking program?
How is this for a start, guys?

mupp

A lot of Microsoft made shortcuts do not work for some odd reason. You need to create these shortcuts yourself. In C:\WINDOWS, right click, new, shortcut, find program, name program, finish.

<body bgcolor="#000000" link="#FFFFFF" alink="#FFFFFF" vlink="#FFFFFF">

CoolMon for stats.

Posted by madmatt
mupp

A lot of Microsoft made shortcuts do not work for some odd reason. You need to create these shortcuts yourself. In C:\WINDOWS, right click, new, shortcut, find program, name program, finish.

<body bgcolor="#000000" link="#FFFFFF" alink="#FFFFFF" vlink="#FFFFFF">

CoolMon for stats.
1-Yeah, I did the custom shortcuts in Windows, did the vbs notepad thing, and put the link in activedesktop.html but still, no luck...

2-Very cool, thx man

3-I'll have to check that out.

ha...I went to sticky, and it's already stuck

people will come from solar systems across the universe to read this thread...another round, on me

MD: I tried that, I modified the shortcut to link to the file I want to launch rather than an executible. I encounter the same problem as Mupp. I choose OK to the ActiveX and nothing happens. Any suggestions?

*drinks* thanks dealer.

mupp, I am making corrections to the tutorial that may offer a solution. I will post those solutions here afterwards.

Good Lord . . .
I've been using ActDesk since it was first introduced and one of "daily use" feature codes keeps giving me that annoying ActiveX alert. Obviously disabling ActiveX control warning was the first part I read and implemented . . . magic . . . its gone forever . .

Trying to launch programs from Active Desktop also gives me annoying options . . . no more . . . with this great tutorial . . .

Please accept my personal thanks . . madmatt . .

I am sure this tutorial will encourage a lot of us to learn more about html and scripting.

tutorial updated.

If you are experiencing problems with getting some shortcuts to launch, read below.

If you are copying shortcuts (instead of making new ones) to C:\WINDOWS they might not work. For some odd reason some ready made Microsoft shortcuts (such as Office products) will not launch via the VBSCRIPT below (this also happens with Counter Strike); you will receive a "Windows Script Host" error. If you notice this happening, make a brand new shortcut by following the steps below.

- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\WINDOWS
- Right click
- Select the submenu: "New"
- Select "Shortcut"
- Use the wizard to find Solitare ("C:\WINDOWS\System32\sol.exe")
- Click "Next"
- Name the shortcut (i.e. "sol" to keep it simple)
- Click "Finish"

After doing that, if you are still having problems getting the shortcut to work, try inserting the path directly into the '.VBS' file where the shortcut name would go (i.e. oShell.run "C:\WINDOWS\System32\sol.exe").

Code:
Dim oShell
Set oShell = WScript.CreateObject ("WScript.shell")
oShell.run "C:\WINDOWS\System32\sol.exe"
Set oShell = Nothing

I can't guarantee this will work for all programs/files. I had problems especially with Microsoft Office programs (such as Word) but I have never had to resort to inserting the path directly into the VBS file.

On a happier note, thanks zalood, that helps keep me going.

Just a suggestion guys . .

download the tutorial (and this thread . . maybe) . .
read them of offline . . we are jamming xp-erience bandwith . .
its becoming veeeerrrry slow since madmatt post the tutorial.

Still doesnt work - i created a shortcut for Outlook Express in C:\Windows named email, created an "email.vbs" file w/

Dim oShell
Set oShell = WScript.CreateObject ("WScript.shell")
oShell.run "email"
Set oShell = Nothing

Still no luck, and same with the exact filename in there...
Any help?

Is Outlook Express the only one that won't work?

No, I just tried Winamp 3 and Kazaa Lite, neither work. (both methods - new shortcut in windows, and exact filename line in the vbs file for each)
*edit*
Shutdown and Reboot dont work as well.

you receive any errors? such as 'windows script host' error?

I get a Windows Script Host error when trying to use the exact filename, but when using the shortcut method, I click it, and it sits there.

Try this.

Change the <script> in the function for exec()
to
<script language="JavaScript">

i.e.

Code:
<script language="JavaScript">
function exec (command) {
  if (document.layers && navigator.javaEnabled()) {
    window._command = command;
    window.oldOnError = window.onerror;
    window.onerror = function (err) {
      if (err.indexOf ("User didn't grant") != -1) {
        alert('command execution of ' + window._command + 
              ' disallowed by user.'); 
        return true;
      }

etc. etc. etc. etc.

and try the shortcut method again, in the vbs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back