You Can/Should Delete the Contents of Your AMD Folder

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
If you have AMD, there's a the AMD folder on your "C" drive.
1571662843020.png

This folder's there to unpack driver updates, (catalyst I believe).

If you update often, ( AMD publishes frequent driver upgrades), the folder can get huge, if you have a smaller SSD, or even one of admirable size, this folder takes up too much space, affecting wear leveling and trim. Mine was around 30 gigs, found it trying to figure out why the SSD was overpopulated compared to my own calculation.

The driver's remain so you can roll yours back, or do a repair.

Keeping this relatively smaller is important, not only for drive volume, I'm surprised AMD doesn't do a cleanup when there are too many previous versions.

Sometimes, windows actually rolls back to what it thinks is the stable driver during an update, even though the latest driver is probably more stable than the one AMD published as the latest stable to Microsoft.

If you're satisfied with your last two drivers, one for a roll back if an issue arises, the most current for an in place repair.

Delete all the rest, you can always download previous versions over at AMD if you want to go back further.

Last edited:
NVIDIA had a similar folder for a while, but the installer now removes it.
However, you might find C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Installer2 starts to fill up instead.

You will also find AMD folder in:

Drive:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back