XP Pro slow when accessing Network Drives...

C

cady

I have a Mixed environment of 4 Win2K Server and several Win2k Pro Workstations as well as 3 WinXP Pro Workstations.... When Accessing Network Resources such as Drives, Printer etc, THe WinXP Pro Nodes take at least 10 seconds or more longer to access the devide or sometimes it will say it is not available.

All of the Nodes are under the same Ip Scheme and subnet. The DHCP is handle by my firewall so is the DNS.

I have setup a small network at home with two nodes XP Pro and Win2k Pro.... guess what ? same problem Win2k Pro prints to the XP printer no problems, however XP Pro has a really hard time accessing the resources from Win2k Pro. I am using a Simple Netgear RT311 Router at home, it handless DHCP Gateway etc..

Any Idea how to solve this problem?

I have heard that this has something to do with installing a bind TCP/IP to the adapter that has route to the Active Directory.....

Thank you for your Help:confused:

try this on the xp machine, it worked for me trying to connect to my nt4 server and printer. REMEMBER to back up your registry

Speed up Network Browsing Open up regedit
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace
Find a key named {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}
Right click on it and delete it
Reboot !

Do two things, on all affected systems (after trying and confirming it working on one first!):
1) Open Folder Options -> View(tab) and clear the "Automaticallysearch for network folders and printers" checkbox under "Files andFolders." (I think this is what the previous post was accomplishing, but here without using reg'editting....)
2) add/set the following binary registry key to "1":HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoRecentDocsNetHood
This prevents Windows from automatically adding each browsed location as an entry in Network Places, which BTW, are all browsed for resources every time Network Places is accessed!!!
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320138
I would also remove as much as possible from Network Places, too....

FYI: The best workaround for this poor design is to make your ownfolder of shortcuts to your favorite UNC resources.... I guess a goodname for such a folder would be "My USEFUL Network Places!" :laugh:

Wow! I just noticed that that question was from 2002!

'Guess my answer won't be of much help to him now! :lick:

(Now I know to check for ancient threads before posting here!)

Ididntdoit said:
Wow! I just noticed that that question was from 2002!

'Guess my answer won't be of much help to him now! :lick:

(Now I know to check for ancient threads before posting here!)

You never know, your answer might help somebody else with the same problem :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back