Xbox 360 Arcade System - Backward Compatibility and Shinyness

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political Access
I recently bought a 360 Arcade system to replace a Premium System I accidentally over... basically it blew up and it was my fault.

Ultimately I bought an Arcade system and got lucky. LOT 736, Team FDOU with a BenQ drive... for the uninitiated or those who have active lives, this means its the most recent revision of the 360 with what could be 65nm components and HDMI to boot, so ultimately cheaper, cooler, quieter but less shiny.

Shiny? My premium had a silver bezel. Considering that the old box is fair game I can remove the bezel and eject button, but can I add the eject button the Arcade without blowing the warranty? To be fair I could try and answer this myself but has anyone else tried?

Xbox backward compatibility. This isn't something I am so fussed about, but having realised its something I can't get working it has now become even more important.

When I insert an Xbox disk, Halo 2, I am told I can't play. I remember with my premium being prompted to download an update. This new system doesn't - it simply can't play. Drive error? Plays xbox 360 games fine, plays music cds fine and dvds fine.

Perhaps the system needs a hard drive? I bought a 120 gig drive from Hong Kong (official and working 100% - just half the price)

I manually downloaded the update and burnt it to a CD, I inserted the CD and it told me it needed to update the xbox to allow backward compatibility.

I KNOW!

The update seems to be complete, but still can't read the CD.

Has anyone else with an Arcade system added a hard drive and then still found they can't play old games?

On the Microsoft website for xbox, there is a comparison section that compares all the features of the 3 main boxes, and the arcade edition that replaces the core does not show it features backward compatibility and the other 2 do show it. So thats probably why your faced with that issue

just for reference, the link he refers to can be found here

Very valid point. (plus PM me with a username you might want to choose, I would NOT recommend having your email address as your username.)

However, the reason the arcade doesn't support backward compatibility - I believe - is because it does not ship with a hard drive, I have purchased one and the accessories page for that is:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360harddrive120GB/

Sadly that doesn't mention the limitation and there is no reason to believe there is one, the Arcade is internally identical to all the other models.

Might have to ask MS at some point if it bugs me enough.

Nope, its not like I would have used it though. IT was purely something I felt should have been working so I could leave it alone.

if you want to play xbox (1) games why not get one they are as cheap as you like - i have one up here with slayers evox 2.7 and a 160gb hdd :D

I have 3 xboxes all modded and running xboxmediacenter, but it was just something I felt was a challenge, I don't play xbox games anymore - I think the last one I bought was a Burnout game which I repurchased on the 360 anyway (woo particles)

i have mine moded - so to speak but its not to watch films on :p

I modded my own Xbox. It was hell. I went through two Xecuter chips before getting it to work. In the end, I learned that having a finer point on the soldering iron would probably have helped. I didn't realize that until I went through hours and hours, millions of miles of solder, and a few thousand burns. I just thought I had bad hands and I hadn't done any soldering since high school workshop class.

I also have this original problem. I bought an Arcade pack 2 months ago and bought a 20GB Hard Drive off ebay from Hong Kong cus it was really cheap. The drive saves all my 360 game data and live settings etc, but it does not play Original Xbox games. The system recognises the discs as it shows their name but it won't let me play them. I've tried all the backwards compatibility software and emailing xbox and also ringing xbox but no-one knows why.

The only reason i can think of is that it is a Hong Kong hard drive and not a uk one.

I'm guessing its just a software conflict thing. Would a reformat of the drive work?

Can anyone suggest or help?

Nope, I noticed the drive label of the HDD I also ordered from Hong Kong (120 gig) had a wierd volume label. I formatted the drive thru the 360 and it correctd the label and works 100% but still I can't play old Xbox games... ironically unless I rebuy them thru Live. - har.

Strange thing, my 360 is the one with the 20 GB HDD HDMI and the 2 free games (Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Forza 2). Yet I have borrowed a friend's Xbox Halo 2 platinum edition game and it fired up the first time I ran it.

Hmmm, looking at the ID/Serial Number label mine is the Pro Console Bundle, whatever that is.

Lot No: 0741
Team: FDOU

Gotta thank my Daughter's employee points for this one. Yes, a freebee. :D

Maybe I will contact MS, it really depends if I have this game I remember playing last night or if I sold it or had actually rented it.

Just wanna enable the cheats and kill some stuff ;p

Turns out my 360 is a "Premium", with a BenQ drive, Video is NTSC and firmware 64930C manufactured 11-12-2007.

All the info you want by using the lot number and team code.

Then go here:
http://www.360drives.com/list

Maybe I will contact MS, it really depends if I have this game I remember playing last night or if I sold it or had actually rented it.

Just wanna enable the cheats and kill some stuff ;p

Hey EP, since your 360 is an Arcade model I think you could be outta luck on the playing of Xbox games.

Check attachment (Game Compatibility) and you will under stand (taken directly from xbox dot com *hope they don't get mad*).

Attachments

• Xbox360GameCompatibility.jpg
    Xbox360GameCompatibility.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 5,426
Last edited:
No don't be silly, he means he plays games backwards, like those levels in Ridge Racer :laugh:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back