Workgroup computer asking for a username??

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hey Guys,

I am trying to access the shared files on another workgroup computer from this one. When I click on that computer icon (In "View WorkgroupComputers"), it asks me for a username and password. I never remember giving it a username and password. How can I defeat this password asking. This password asking does not happen when I am on another computer of the same workgroup. Also, how can I pin to the start menu, a shortcut that will open the list of workgroup computers and their list of shared files? Thanks in advance....

Heeter

Does the other computer that you can't access have XP Pro on it. I ran into that same problem today and I fixed it by going into the Control Panel/Users area and making a user access for each computer that I was going to want to log in from. I also had to assign a password to each one. You can then use Tweakui to keep those user profiles from showing up on the welcome screen. Hope that helps.

Jeff

if you are on XP Home and part of a domain, dispite MS saying you cant access domain resources you can. Or some of them at least.
If you enter DOMAIN/username for the username it seems to do it right.

If I have just told you something useless :p

I am assuming that this used to work fine. I will dig around to see if you can setup your current users so they can access the other computer

The 'puter that I am on is XPHome, the 'puter that I am try to access is 2003Server,

Geffy, it is actually on a wrokgroup, not a domain. I think I will try "Administrator" and see what happens, that is what logon as with 2003Server, no password

I really would like to disable this, though

Heeter

KohlerJD,

So when the Username Password window pops up, You logon with that assigned Username, do you then have access to the whole'puter or just the shared files? Maybe I should create a user account for 2003Server instead of just using the Administrator account.

Heeter

hrmm I havent messed with 2k3 server, JJB might have I will see if he can get his arse on here

LOL, Thanks Bud.

I think that Kohler might be right on this one. Logging in to Administrator might be quite a task as compared to logging into a user. But I think I will try to get answers before screwing around with the setup.

Heeter

Heeter,
Besides making an password protected user you also need to share all your drives like before. After that you should have complete access as long as that is what you give yourself. If you have anymore questions let me know.
Jeff

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back