Wired Connection Fail

**edit Also, what is the cheapest best quality NIC card you can get? I mean like $60 or less lol
If your paying more then $10 your probably getting ripped off. :) A NIC shouldn't be anywhere near $60. I would just got to newegg and buy the cheapest one with half way descent reviews.

Here is a gigabit for $7.99. :)

Uh thanks, but I still don't think it's the card.

And that says Encore not Gigabit

So I am assuming everyone here thinks its my NIC card?

How can I access the network then?

Well that was a waste of money. Just got a new Network card and installed it, same thing.

Everything says I am connetecd, no issues, can access network. I just can't use the fracking internet, and Im getting pissed off!!

I just found out I can also ping address in the CMD, which from what I read is DNS issues. Yet I have flushed the DNS and no luck. Is there anything else I can do?

*Just did a system restore, no luck. Thinking about reformatting since Win7 takes only 14 minutes, yet even then none of this makes sense.

So I am not sure if I mentioned this here but yesturday or the day before I was having issues with NOD32, finding some linker.dll virus, I thought it was a false negative, I also thought I got rid of it. I did a system restore, and NOD32 starting finding it like 20 times, plus some other false negatives. So I randomly disabled NOD32 fully, and my internet is working again.

Ideas how NOD32 can disable/mess up internet and programs?

**its not exactly NOD32 by itself, all the virus/errors NOD32 is picking up are in the sysWOW64 folder, or sometimes the system32 folder. All saying linker.dll. I have chatted back and forth with NOD32, they just took my log and are looking into it. I might just uninstall NOD32 and install AVG9 to see if the same thing happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try disconnecting everything else from the internet, and matter of fact if it's possible connect directly to your cable or DSL modem or whatever you have, and leave any other networking hardware (routers, switches), disconnected.

From a command prompt, enter "IPConfig /Release".

Shut down the computer all the way (OFF!).

Power down the cable/DSL modem or whatever you have, leave it off for 30 seconds.

Power the modem and only the modem back up and wait for it to go through it's diagnostics.

With the computer already connected directly to the modem, power the computer up.

Check to see if the internet's working.

I did all of that, a couple times over before you posting it. Thanks anyways.

Basically I did everything in the book and out of it. Nothing helped. I then disabled NOD32 and it started working, so after awhile I tried getting NOD32 to work again, of course my internet stopped working again, but this time when I disabled NOD32 I couldn't get it working again.

So I finally decided to format my computer, wipe everything clean, i also cleared the CMOS. And since reinstalling Windows everything seems to be running great. I have never gotta a virus before, so its weird I got one this powerful.

The whole problem was a virus and that is why I stopped posting on the issue after this was posted.
its not exactly NOD32 by itself, all the virus/errors NOD32 is picking up are in the sysWOW64 folder, or sometimes the system32 folder. All saying linker.dll

Next time eset tells you there is a virus you may want to hit the clean button, if that doesn't work hit the delete button ;)

FYI System Restore does NOT keep an existing virus from still messing with your system, even if you restore to before you originally got the virus. Only a full image restore can do that if done properly.

Guys, I know how to use Antivirus, I did hit clean and delete, it did not work. And for most of the time I didn't think it was a virus, thought it was a false negative. Of course I was wrong, but this was my first virus, geeez lol

So I am still having internet problems. Now mainly speed issues, when I am suppose to get 1MB/s I will be getting 200KB/s to max 800KB/s.

Tried connecting to the modem direct, still having an issue. So I tested my ping

Seems to be D connection or C at best, but does that mean anything? How do I improve that?

This wasn't a fully tested solution for some problems I had under Windows 7 x86 a couple weeks ago, but things have been better since whether chance or what. I had rolled back the driver for my motherboard's built-in Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20) to v7.2.1127.2008 dated 2/26/2008. Previously I had updated it to the driver inside of Install_Win7_7006_0921.zip and had occasional network problems until I rolled back to the old driver version.

I've still had some occasional problems since then; enough to wonder if it might've been just a glitch my ISP had for a while (but not in several days now), but I haven't ruled that out as having been the solution to that particular problem either.

Oh, sorry.

The current speed issue, is for all systems on the network. I just kept the same thread going instead of making a new one.

Go to VisualRoute and either download the free version and test or use the online test.

If you see some hops really high then you have your answer about slowness.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back