• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Windows XP Remote Desktop

A

andre9540

Guest
#1
Well the remote desktop is not working everything else in the network is working yet this is the only thing, i think it might be a port issue and was wonder the port(s) that windows remote desktop uses

Also i can not see my second comp in the add users screen


Both comps have PRO and both are logged in as admin
anything else
thankyou
 
A

andre9540

Guest
#3
Yes but the problem is that both comps see each other in the workgroup MSHOME yet when i try to add a user from another computer it the second comp just doesn't show up
 

oDin

xp m0nk3y
#4
Originally posted by andre9540
Yes but the problem is that both comps see each other in the workgroup MSHOME yet when i try to add a user from another computer it the second comp just doesn't show up
what you mean like at a user from computer A to a group on computer B?
 
A

andre9540

Guest
#5
Comp a and comp b are on MSHOME(my network) have a router and a firewall Norton FIre and Linksys router i can see and edit both comp thgur network yet when it come to remote desktop it doesn't see one another.
 

oDin

xp m0nk3y
#6
sorry i am not quite understanding what your problem is.

you can not see other computers in the little pull down menu in remote desktop. that is normal. if you haven't connected to it it will not show up. to use remote desktop you need to be able to access port 3389. try disableing your firewalls on your home network, you don't really need them.

am i close??
 
A

andre9540

Guest
#7
Well yah they don't on the connection tab but when you set up the users that are allowed there should be the remote user that can access the client
 

oDin

xp m0nk3y
#8
Originally posted by andre9540
Well yah they don't on the connection tab but when you set up the users that are allowed there should be the remote user that can access the client
ok if you can't access a machine with remote desktop you need to allow traffic on port 3389 on what ever router/software firewall you are using.

above you said that you have a router. behind it you have machines running software firewalls. try disableing those software firewalls. and also open up port 3389 on your router.

Also i can not see my second comp in the add users screen


what do you mean by add users screen??
 
A

andre9540

Guest
#9
alright i haqve norton personal fire wall but that port operates when the REmote desktop starts working right? Ill give it try thanks
 
#10
Originally posted by andre9540
alright i haqve norton personal fire wall but that port operates when the REmote desktop starts working right? Ill give it try thanks
yep...as soon as norton personal firewall detects traffic on that port it pops up a little window asking you if you want to allow it.
 
#11
if you want to add users on one computer and have them automatically picked up by the other then you have to tell the other to pull its user list from the computer you want to add users on, but this isnt really a good idea on a home network as it results in a client server relationship and not a more home friendly peer to peer network.
 
#12
Originally posted by Geffy
if you want to add users on one computer and have them automatically picked up by the other then you have to tell the other to pull its user list from the computer you want to add users on, but this isnt really a good idea on a home network as it results in a client server relationship and not a more home friendly peer to peer network.
what you are talking about is a domain, which i don't think he has set up. unless he wants to get in to some non-userfriendly networking stuff a workgroup is all he needs.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,961
Messages
673,239
Members
89,015
Latest member
evaiwhitis