Windows Update problems

M

melty

It just started today.

I went into IE and clicked on windows update...

It goes to the website like normal.

then it says "New Windows Update Software Required"

and "The Windows Update site has been updated. To update your version of the software and begin using Windows Update, click Update Now"

so I click on the button....

and it says ".....is downloading and installing the updated software"
and then, it comes right back to the first page I saw

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

is this happening to anybody else???

Melty

using XP with SP1

i've been having trouble for ages with the update site i don't what the problem is but when i go there it's like i'm stuck in a loop
:(

do you have non priated serials installed with xp because that might do it i know that the fckgw serial gets different updates taht screw it all up

this just started with me today though.

when did it start wit you guys?

I wonder if microsoft knows about this???

Melty

I used the link in the first post to access MS Windows update. Yes it did ask me to download new software to use the site. It downloaded two packages. Then it worked like it should. There was one update which was new to me.

I had a similar problem a while ago. I downloaded the update packages from the site after I reloaded windows. Something went wrong in the installation, and I couldn't access any updates. System restore didn't fix it. I had to start over.

I hope you can figure something else out.

Windows update is handy, but it isn't the only MS resource to get updates. This link is mostly for corporate customers who distribute things across allot of systems. As far as I know you can download anything that's on the Windows Update site.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/default.asp

By the way I'm using Win XP - SP1

SCREW the windows update website....

I just turned on the automatic updates, and had it set to notify me when they are available...

we'll see if they Dl this way...

boy, that update page is a sure easy way to keep a stupid person BUSY :D

melty

I had exactly the same problem today, for the first time ever, and I have a legal copy of XP pro.

Run Windowsupdate again, and when the screen appears and asks you of you trust M$, tick the box "always trust". That did it for me, although I have always been hesitant to "always trust" M$...

good luck, EJ

see, now here is sumthin different, that box came up the FIRST time, and i pressed always trust.....

never came up again, and I get stuck in a NEVER ending LOOP...

I will never TRUST them again :)

melty

When i go to it it loads but nothing comes up and then the screen disappears

I had the same problem yesterday. getting into a continuous loop. Today I lowered my Security Settings, and tried again. Got a message saying Microsoft were updating my system, then a message to reboot. After that the Update Site worked fine.

read the post decided to try myself and yes i got the 2 prompts to d/l the things did that and it worked no probs but is M$ releasing V5 this month or sumit :s

I believe it was a problem they were aware of. Many others had posted the problem in the windows update page in the microsoft communities. I had the same problem, but today it works fine and I havent changed anything, so I reckon they solved it.

the same problem here! I have not faced this before!
I think it's related to firewall/proxy settings in IE because I am not running my ISP's proxy.

Posted by TR!GG3R
read the post decided to try myself and yes i got the 2 prompts to d/l the things did that and it worked no probs

Me too - I tried it today and got the same result as TR!GG3R !

I downloaded one Critical and one Recommended update, rebooted and all went well.

I then went back and checked Windows Update and all worked just like it is supposed to!

Must have been something funky on their end yesterday!:p

worked A OK yesterday when the default hite (non https) broke.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back