windows server 2003 standard or slackware linux as server

You probably want to look at the handbook sections on GEOM or Vinum

just alot of the reviews and various other webpages/forums kept refering to that partitular bug, is there a way to get the bootonly iso onto a usb key so you can install it from there ?

The BIOS in most computers does not return the actual geometry of the hard drive (sectors, heads and that other one), so FreeBSD just guesses, the guess is fine to use, the only problem could result from moving the drive from one machine to another because it may report another geometry and it may be wrong.

However, you can set it yourself, or trust the guess it makes. I personally have installed many FreeBSD's and moved the hard drives around with no problems what so ever, but your milage may vary. There is nothing to worry about if you are just going to use it in one computer.

Also, just to clarify it is not a bug, rather FreeBSD is one of the few OS's that actually lets you know ahead of time it is getting bad information from the BIOS, whereas Linux and others don't and just go ahead with what they get from the BIOS, or if those figures are way out of wack, with what they guess it is.

yes its only going to be used on the one pc - thanks, currently reading the info on the docs cd, well documented easy to follow and understand, some things look scarey but im guessing they arent once you have done them a few times :)

yes its only going to be used on the one pc - thanks, currently reading the info on the docs cd, well documented easy to follow and understand, some things look scarey but im guessing they arent once you have done them a few times :)

http://freebsd.org/handbook/

Is a step by step guide to installing a well as maintaining your FreeBSD install.

6.2-RELEASE-i386-docs.iso - seeing as i downloaded all the isos i just mounted that one on laptop and am reading through bit by bit :)

well documented easy to follow and understand

Thats the best thing about the BSD family of OS's the documentation is fantastic, in my experience the system manpages are about 100x better than the ones available in the Linux distributions.

yes they are well written, my eyes started to hurt with all the reading and trying to understand the differences between freebsd and linux - so i stoped to watch 300 and zodiac :) - should i require assitance im guessing i will have to start a thread in linux if i need some questions answered ?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back