Windows Not Loading

~bk

I
Political User
Alright, so Windows XP Home isn't loading on my dad's laptop. :\ I'm getting the following error:

File is corrupt or missing in the following destination -
WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
It tells me to repair it by inserting the Windows XP CD.

Things that I have tried already:

- Inserted the Windows XP CD to repair it. I went pretty far, then I got stuck. I didn't know what to enter when it showed me the legend to repair files?

- Tried booting from Safe Mode. Still didn't work. Getting the same error.

- When starting up, I pressed F8 and selected 'Last Known Good Configuration'. Didn't work either.

Any ideas on how to fix this without loosing my data? :(

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
Alright, so Windows XP Home isn't loading on my dad's laptop. :\ I'm getting the following error:

It tells me to repair it by inserting the Windows XP CD.

Things that I have tried already:

- Inserted the Windows XP CD to repair it. I went pretty far, then I got stuck. I didn't know what to enter when it showed me the legend to repair files?

- Tried booting from Safe Mode. Still didn't work. Getting the same error.

- When starting up, I pressed F8 and selected 'Last Known Good Configuration'. Didn't work either.

Any ideas on how to fix this without loosing my data? :(
What do mean didn't know what to enter? what was it asking?

Unless XP Home install is different than the XP Pro install, you can either run a repair (hitting "R" I think) right at the start of the setup process, or you can go through like you are doing a new install which at some points detects you have windows installed already and will give an option to repair the existing install.

Beyond running the repair and/or using the recovery console.. you have tried the recovery console, right?

You can always try to either a) reinstall windows on top of itself (ie: point the installation to the c:\windows folder) or b) install windows to a different directory (ie: c:\windows2 or something). Option a) should preserve most application installations. option b) will require most applications to be reinstalled.

~bk

I
Political User
I ran the CHKDSK through the Recovery Console. Took quite a while, but it works fine now. Thanks American zombie, fitz, and Grandmaster. ;)

Any idea why it happened?

Grandmaster

Electronica Addict
Political User
I ran the CHKDSK through the Recovery Console. Took quite a while, but it works fine now. Thanks American zombie, fitz, and Grandmaster. ;)

Any idea why it happened?
Windows is strange. Eww at the pink.

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
always happy to try to help.. although I think the others did most of the work :)

Members online

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bomblagdi