windows 98 question

DFX

OSNN Senior Addict
hi

i tried to install a network card on my sisters computer

i restarted the machine and 3 errors came up in dos saying registry or system.ini was missing the following files:

vnetsup.vxd
vredir.vxd
dfs.vxd

then when windows loaded, the following file came up with an error saying it wasn't installed:

msnp32.dll

anyone know where i can find these files and how to reinstall them?

they are on the windows98 cd... normally windows ask for the cd when you change something to the network for the first time.

Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application.

The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstaller or setup program.

If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.

vnetsup.xvd
Press a key to continue_

sboulema said:
they are on the windows98 cd... normally windows ask for the cd when you change something to the network for the first time.

ok so do i have to reinstall the network card then?

yep think thats the best to do. or find out where the files are on the cd and where they need to go so you can do it manually...

We run into this alot at work, some of our customers still use 98 on their Workstations. We usually remove the card and any protocols bound to it(tcp-ip, ipx-spx...) and reboot, then reinstall. It usually works that way. Also, unless you have an oem installed windows, which puts the setup-cab files on the hd when it's loaded, it should ask you for the Win98 cd when you add any network component.

ThePatriot - cool the network card is installed now and those errors don't come up. cheers.

just got to remember how to setup 98 on the network now...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back