Windows 7 RTM corrupt download

Looks like there’s two issues here then, Windows 7 RTM is not available until 6th August I’ve been told… the issue surrounding the corrupt downloads is being looked into but again I’m told that they are not corrupt only that a process that should have run after the file was downloaded has not executed… for some unknown reason.

This results in the download being deleted without any warning if you attempt to “finish” the process by running the download manager again as it has the same “intermediate” file name. What use is this then I wonder for a download manager in the first place?

The wording on the email I received looks clear enough, but if you read the small print its not the RTM version as already noted but an earlier version, not only that it make no attempt to inform you that you already have the download, this is a bit strange.

To complicate matters further the EU release has now been changed again with no “E” version now being produced so an upgrade path now exists for the likes of me with Vista Ultimate, or so I’m lead to believe.

This is all getting to complicated by half.

:rolleyes:

For me the issue is partially solved by using Opera to download the RTM version which does not use the download manager.

Having copied the iso file (using Nero) to a DVD it will not boot from my DVD drive.

Another problem now presents itself!

It this all woth the effort I'm begining to wonder?

:mad:

well if it is still 7100 its not, but now that 7600 is all over, yes it is :)

had some minor problems with corrupt downloads from TechNet - took 3 tries before I got a succesful ISO to pull down and burn/boot/load correctly.. but it did eventually work for me.

The file 7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culfrer_en_dvd.iso.dlm downloaded but it's corrupt.

It is not corrupt, it is not finished. If you look at the location you are downloading to, you will have two files during the download process. The first one is your image in the format <tempfilename>.tmp, which will change in size over time. This is the actual image file being downloaded. The other file is <TempFileName>.tmp.SegmentInfo.bin. This file contains info on the downloaded pieces and information on how to put it together at the end. Usually there is only one download segment, so that part is irrelevant, but it also has the CRC info so the Download Manager knows if it was successfully downloaded. This is an important part because only a valid download will cause your download count to be incremented for Microsoft's internal counters.

Having said all that, the only legitimate sources of Win 7 images are MSDN (which I am downloading from right now), TechNet, and Microsoft's OEM channel (for hardware vendors). Even if you have a license to use one of these sites and get it anywhere else, you are participating in piracy. If you do have a license, use the Microsoft approved methods for downloading. If you are having problems legitimately downloading from these services, their support team will gladly help you. I have been using the MSDN since before it was commercially available, and I have never had anything but excellent service from them.

For me the issue is partially solved by using Opera to download the RTM version which does not use the download manager.

Having copied the iso file (using Nero) to a DVD it will not boot from my DVD drive.

Another problem now presents itself!

It this all woth the effort I'm begining to wonder?

:mad:

You don't copy the ISO file to a DVD, you burn the ISO file as a disc image to a DVD. In Nero, from the Recorder menu, choose Burn Image and then browse to the ISO file. Note: slower burning is more reliable. I recommend 4x.

You don't copy the ISO file to a DVD, you burn the ISO file as a disc image to a DVD. In Nero, from the Recorder menu, choose Burn Image and then browse to the ISO file. Note: slower burning is more reliable. I recommend 4x.

A slip of the tounge here... I meant, "burned the DVD immage" using nero.

However it still wont boot from my DVD drive (a SATA type) and this seems to be the problem so I updated the firmware which did not solve the issue, made sure it was was in a bootable SATA port (some on my motherboard are not, still wont boot.

My DVD drive is a Panasonic BD-ROM BDC-202, motherboard is a ASUS Black Pearl P5K premium (WiFi), and the hard drivers are all 750GB Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD753LJ SATA2 types, graphics card is a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4890 VAPOR-X 1024MB 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0.

Somewhere here is an incompatibility I suspect.

Tomorrow will try a new DVD drive or two.

:nervous:

A slip of the tounge here... I meant, "burned the DVD immage" using nero.

However it still wont boot from my DVD drive (a SATA type) and this seems to be the problem so I updated the firmware which did not solve the issue, made sure it was was in a bootable SATA port (some on my motherboard are not, still wont boot.

My DVD drive is a Panasonic BD-ROM BDC-202, motherboard is a ASUS Black Pearl P5K premium (WiFi), and the hard drivers are all 750GB Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD753LJ SATA2 types, graphics card is a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4890 VAPOR-X 1024MB 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0.

Somewhere here is an incompatibility I suspect.

Tomorrow will try a new DVD drive or two.

:nervous:

Since it is an Asus board...Have you tried pushing F8 during POST to go to the boot select menu?

Ah, I see. I have heard of some hard drive controllers having problems booting SATA optical drives, but I know nothing more than that. AZ's suggestion is what I was going to say next.

A new LG DVD SATA drive solved the problem, well partially as the original drive will boot on another PC but not mine, must be some incompatibility somewhere.

7 of 9 now up and running (seven being the number of times I've downloaded Windows 7 and nine being the attempts to boot the DVD from the old drive), installed without a hitch... well apart from the USB TV thingy and Windows Home Server which now keeps reporting that port forwarding has failed and the SD card slot in the Dell monitor and the display port connection does not work.

To be fair most of the above issues were fixed with a few reboots and somehow my Belkin N1 router seems to have reverted to its factory default settings during the installation.

The Display port issue I had previously in Vista… though that 7 would solve the issue but all I got was a blank screen so had to revert to the old connector.

7 of 9 now up and running.

:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back