Windows 7 Public Beta Download

They were from the Microsoft site... but from the public beta area... the other three that aren't on the list were from our MSDN subscription.

In that case, they may be generating ones that were not used yet. So if you try one and it doesn't work, go back to the site and get another one.

They have 5 non-unique keys that they are handing out. They are not generating new unique keys for the beta, at least that is what I found out yesterday. I had the same key "generated" as my room mate. When we went back for a new key I kept getting a different one, until I had seen all 5.

You could extract it to a USB key Heny.

You could perhaps even extract and run the setup, I think that would work :p

They have 5 non-unique keys that they are handing out. They are not generating new unique keys for the beta, at least that is what I found out yesterday. I had the same key "generated" as my room mate. When we went back for a new key I kept getting a different one, until I had seen all 5.

5 keys for 2.5 million people ? Sheesh !

5 keys for 2.5 million people ? Sheesh !
they obviously want everyone to try the os johnny

seems to me though they should have just made the time bomb in 12 months rather then assigning a key

I meant five total keys - not five per person .. them giving out a key that don't work is what surprises me .. You can only use them on one machine.

Why even use the key (you don't need one on install)? Why would you need to run this beta for more then 30 days? If you run Vista you've seen the "new" stuff basically, the rest is under the hood.

true xie, but some people will want to run it longer. That way they get more familiar with it.

Why even use the key (you don't need one on install)? Why would you need to run this beta for more then 30 days? If you run Vista you've seen the "new" stuff basically, the rest is under the hood.
Without a key you can't send any feedback. There are many people out there that want to send their feedback and help improve Windows 7.

Yeah, I just checked a few minutes ago, it is still creating the same keys for me and my room mate. Same 5 keys, nothing has changed. People have already posted those exact keys online all over the place.

Without a key you can't send any feedback. There are many people out there that want to send their feedback and help improve Windows 7.
They happily let you install without a key and then hinder your ability to send feedback unless you have a key (when everyone is reporting there is only 5 keys to start with)? Is that a company you really want to help?

How is that a deal breaker? You are invited to play along with the system, however if you want to play along and help feedback than you need an assigned user key.

Seems simple that in order to get the best feedback in terms of statistics they would limit the amount of keys to compare a bug cropping up in particularly random fashion. simples statistics keep the comparison data within a defined parameter.

If a problem shows up on more than one key than the fix is more likely a global problem.

It is just a massive testing dump with public users, what's the problem?

How is that a deal breaker? You are invited to play along with the system, however if you want to play along and help feedback than you need an assigned user key.

Seems simple that in order to get the best feedback in terms of statistics they would limit the amount of keys to compare a bug cropping up in particularly random fashion. simples statistics keep the comparison data within a defined parameter.

If a problem shows up on more than one key than the fix is more likely a global problem.

It is just a massive testing dump with public users, what's the problem?
If your OS can have a totally different experience and run or not run based a key (that isn't even needed/required) why would you wanna run it? Why for all that is good in the world would you restrict feedback to only the folks using the same keys? Seems a few people gotta stop taking the crazy pills ...

I installed windows 7 on my desktop with the key that m$ gave nme and worked great. I didn't have to install any drivers. It works right out of the box.

I am thinking that with the five keys, they could be a corporate type thing?

Wow. As i see it, it is a Beta. And it is Microsoft's Beta. It seems they will run it how they wish it to be run. If you do not wish to help or test it, then so be it, i dont see any problems with that logic. For me it can sometimes take more than 30 days to actually find something wrong as i don't always use certain functions of an OS on a day to day basis.

I'm not sure what the issue is. They let people use the keys and the beta keys are limited but they aren't limited to how many people can use them. When beta testing is done they can kill those limited number of keys. Only having a limited number of keys used for public beta testing makes things far easier to keep track of. The keys are so easily accessible that it's silly and if you downloaded the ISO from Microsoft for the OS then there is no reason why one couldn't also get the beta key.

Microsoft isn't asking for anything special or beyond acceptable. You are entitled to your opinion, of course, Xie, but I really can't understand your somewhat overblown anger (?) with the situation.

I'm not sure what the issue is. They let people use the keys and the beta keys are limited but they aren't limited to how many people can use them. When beta testing is done they can kill those limited number of keys. Only having a limited number of keys used for public beta testing makes things far easier to keep track of. The keys are so easily accessible that it's silly and if you downloaded the ISO from Microsoft for the OS then there is no reason why one couldn't also get the beta key.

Microsoft isn't asking for anything special or beyond acceptable. You are entitled to your opinion, of course, Xie, but I really can't understand your somewhat overblown anger (?) with the situation.

He hates windows - MAC user. That is where it is coming from.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back