Windows 7 - First Impressions

if you disable UAC all accounts listed as "administrator" run as a full admin without privilege escalation operating as they do with UAC enabled.

However, you will still have file and folder virtualization unless you run on the administrator account.

I'm not sure if I was aware of this difference in file/folder virtualization. I'll have to read more about it (than the info that you already provided) because I don't like to be ignorant about these things. Thanks LoLA and AZ.

Been using Vista Business SP2 for about 1 year and is a pain in the ass. Fresh installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit last night and oh boy! It is awesome! Faster than Vista a lot i would say and hope it stays that way.

Best spam post ever, go Sharon!
Mods please leave the above post as I am contacting that site to ask, what the ****?

I haven't installed it and now maybe I won't, I would like to find out just as ming, exactly what is it about windows 7 that make people think it's a better os?

I am enjoying it, the new Windows Explorer is awesome, at least coming from Vista to 7, its awesome, if you came from XP to 7, you probably hate it...

But still some advancements have to be made to enhance win 7..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arileo

I dont know it is a question here, when i turn off my computer, i often get a warning "close the program?", actually, i already closed the program before.

But i have to say i am enjoying Win7

Well I'm about to make the plunge, thanks to an agreement with my place of employment (well one of them), where I'm basically paying them directly for the cost of 1 additional liscense under their organizational account for 1 additional computer, and then get a copy of the CD for my home computer. Well given I sometimes have needed to remote access their server from home, for work related stuff, at least some work does get done on it, for them....

Needless to say, I think I had about had it with some of Vista's hickups (I used winXP until I needed to acquire a second hand laptop from my sister after the motherboard on my Athlon 64 died). All I can say is Vista was pretty horrible vs other systems, and as I actually did have it in beta (was an MSDN subscriber when it was in beta), I don't think the final version looked much better then what I saw of it in beta :eek: Yeah this computer is slightly dated with a 1.7 GHz duel core Intel 64-bit, and just 2 GB of RAM, but that said my impressions of Vista has been that it runs somewhat horribly on many systems, why many in the past did downgrade to winXP. 7 on other comps, did seem to run a bit smoother. As win7 is getting rolled out there, it'd also help with fixing their comps, if I actually have time to mess with the system a little, rather then encounter it all only after they have a problem with it :lol:

I do wonder however how much of a difference will be had given that the OEM to thix laptop put a 32-bit version of Vista on a comp with 64-bit CPU cores. I know matter of fact they did this, by CPU-z's indication of the CPU, and also checking the Intel website on the CPU's model number and all, to see what their own white sheets identify the part as. My past experience when I beta tested on my Athlon 64 was that there was a difference until one was swaping (swapping killed it), but as that older comp had only 1 GB of RAM, it wasn't much of a load added on top of Vista before it was swapping badly.

Course the main consideration is gaming performance, and I know the stupid Intel gfx they have on this thing is yuck, but it's one of those any bit I can get out of this thing; means happier raiders I'm entering into instance groups with, lol

Oh and on the needing escalated permissions, there was one place I did run into where this can be a pain. If one's users directory is on a USB/external hard drive, it sees the old store for one's mail folder, etc as being a seperate "unknown" account. Was a bit of a headache before I put that one together on why I couldn't get old mail folders up in Thunderbird, when the thing was set to different location on the mail store, the external hard drive with my mail archives for the last 12 years or so... Pretty much have to run Thunderbird in administrative mode now, due to that, etc

Well, I haven't had much time to play, but so far win7 upon booting to desktop is using slightly fewer memory resources then Vista was. Course the computer on Vista is as it was handed to me (I didn't have the instillation media, so was going with an OEM pre-install, sorta hate those due to all the crap those recovery disks come with) and no doubt was a pretty dirty install by then.

The bundled 64-bit browser is faster (though from my experience, this was the case when I beta tested, up until as mentioned earlier one's swapping), though I haven't had much time to do much more then apply updates, download various progs like acrobat reader, java, divx codec, etc. I'm starting to put a game on here, I'll see how it pans out once it's installed.

Now from prior experience, newer versions of Windows do get more bloated; but I'm hoping a combination of a clean install (without all the garbage OEMs like to bundle into their recovery disks), combined with from what I'm gathering win7 being purportedly better then vista, perhaps having better resource scheduling, etc, it'll fair better. I'll see once I load some games and get to look at the frame rates, performance, and feel wrt how smooth things seem to handle.

Windows Seven has probably the best memory management of any Windows OS. I thought Vista's was good, but Seven is better.

Vista was fairly bloated IMO. Even without the prior OEM preinstall (and we all know they crap up systems with useless bloat), the thing booted well in beta to about 800 and some MB on my old Athlon 64, vs about 250 or so in XP. Which is why it killed on that old machine which had 1 GB (this laptop has 2 GB).

Anyhow, 7 is definitely less bloated from all indications. The old Vista install was loading about 37% physical memory used at desktop (after I terminated some of the useless crap they loaded that old install down with). On this one, I'm sitting around 28% with a browser open, and also running a bunch of distributed computing WUs in the background (BOINC basically, and there's 2 CPU cores each with their own WU). It's like 10+% less of the memory taken....

Normally one sees newer versions of Windows take up more RAM to desktop, 7 vs. Vista was proving somewhat the reverse, it's taking less RAM to itself. The older was also Home Premium, this one is Professional, so the slightly beefier version....

Frame rates did go up slightly, though not significantly. There's not much to be said there, Intel gfx just plain sucks, but being a laptop, well that's what it has. Things did seem a little bit smoother though, and well I tested WoW last night, Dalaran was a little less laggy in loading all the crap they have going on there. I have not yet stepped into ICC, which I'll be doing on Sunday, so we'll see. It was really bad with just 10 man (forget 25) where I was getting 5-7 fps, and things seemed quite choppy, hell with just Morrowgwar even), so hoping things will at least carry over and be a little smoother then. Choppiness last Sun was not good, when I was the only range :rofl Yeah we went in there very melee heavy this past week, and my computer, well... Partly why I decided enough of Vista's crap, time to dump it. Though yes a new computer would be nicer for well :p Lag and raids don't go well together :laugh:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back