Windows 7 - First Impressions

Right click on the folder and select properties. then select hide ..

been there, dont have it.

Under a NORMAL folders properties there is a "hidden" tick box, which just sets the attributes to hidden, which does nothing anyway since like I already said, I want to see all hidden files and folders so i know whats hiding on my pc.

I did say this in the original post "would be nice to hide these fake folders from view. its taking up unwanted space every time i open explorer, if its a redundant folder, provide a way to hide it (while still allowing me to see normal 'hidden' files)"

u want to see hidden folders and then u get bother'd when u see them?

u want to see hidden folders and then u get bother'd when u see them?

nah, I want to see hidden folders, not REDUNDANT fake folders that are only ever used by the OS itself. i like to keep my files and workspace tidy :lick::laugh:

2 other things irritating me greatly, the new network connection icon is now 1 little square box and doesnt flash when sending or receiving anymore, so i cant glance at it to see whats happening. the tooltip also says nothing interesting other than "network" where the vista one gave details on amount of sent/received data. Plus in windows explorer, in the status bar, if you clicked on a folder it told you the size of the contents in that folder, you now get no useful information what so ever in the status bar.

Last edited:
It really is Super fast compared to vista... I have pre-ordered from amazon myself
T.gif

First impression you say ..... great ! Yeah actually it is great, micro-crap may have finally gotten it (mostly) right with this version of thier OS. My main reason is ..... I have actually been able to install and run games that vista wouldn't even install, and XP would install and then not be able to run AT ALL.....lol. I mean, opening my games archive box that I thought was going to get thrown out, and imagine my surprise when the games that haven't run since the 286/386 days are running superbly !! Everyone can say what they want about worrying about app compatibilty, I am not worried at all. And yes I am one of the end users that downgraded my PC's to XP, cause once again, micro-crap shot themselves in the foot with Vista and it's overall UNcompatibility. I have run every OS out there, and there are alot without all the bloat. There are also alot of OS/hardware combinations that simply weren't meant to work together. But....for the windows babies, Win 7 is a godsend. I have even got it to run on all my older machines with NO PROBLEMS .... lol. The only thing I don't like is I think micro-crap missed the mark in thier pricing scheme. Win 7 is worth no more that 90$ USD no matter what flavor you want, and by that I mean the full install, not the upgrade ****e they are pushing. And it is also nice to see that alot of my IT brethren are waiting for Win 7, to upgrade thier respective networks (colleges & businesses) from XP directly to Win 7. Vista & market share, never had it, never will. This is coming from a Vista user, and XP junkie.

Is it just me or is Networking a billion times faster than it was on Vista? Wow! Uploads, downloads, file transfers.

Thank goodness!

when I tried the beta it was a pretty gutted os so claiming it was faster wasn't really fair

now that they have the os pretty much running with everything that's going to be running is it still more snappy then vista?

when I tried the beta it was a pretty gutted os so claiming it was faster wasn't really fair

now that they have the os pretty much running with everything that's going to be running is it still more snappy then vista?

100% agree!

Windows 7 is the fastest and most stable OS to date :)

Once you get used to it you will like it :)

can I modify/quantify that statement you made Lord.. :)

Windows 7 is the fastest and most stable *Microsoft* OS to date

But yes.. once you use it and get used to it, it is one of the most enjoyable Microsoft OS release to date

probably true Lord.. but you know someone was going to make a comment - i figured it might as well be me :)

probably true Lord.. but you know someone was going to make a comment - i figured it might as well be me :)

Or you could have stated "the most stable OS that you can actually do something fun and worth while in" and leave Microsoft out of it :eek:

I have had Windows 7 on my system for awhile. It works alright when attached to a network with 2 XP computers and one Vista computer. Yet Vista to XP, 7 to Vista, XP To 7 isn't all that easy.

I just installed 7 on that Vista computer (removed Vista) and holy crap does windows 7 play nice with windows 7. It's the most simple setup and ease of 2 computer talking to each other ever. I am very impressed, I can't wait for the other 2 computer to head to 7.

so now that I'm using the RTM and finally put in on my production laptop and really started customizing it.. i found a minor quibble with the jumplists.

I'm one of the few folk that like to have my focus following the mouse - so after applying the required reg change, the focus follows mouse just fine.

The problem lies with the jumplists.. because there is a small space between the jumplist menu and the taskbar icon, when I try to select something off the jumplist, the focus switches out and the jumplist disappears and it makes it impossible to select something off the jumplist.

Fairly minor quibble.. but it also prevents me from closing an application that is minimized on the taskbar.

My only quibble/s are with the latest G-15 keyboard software. It is not recognized by Windows and therefore I had to roll back to an older G-15 driver package. Unfortunately it is not as fully-featured.

That and Orb. I LOVE Orb. It is simple to use and I can use it to watch TV over wifi/edge or 3G on my iPhone. Unfortunately the application is not recognizing my tv tuner correctly under Win 7 so I cannot stream live TV. I can stream music, videos, files, anything else but my live TV :(

The Orb forums did mention a fix was on it's way... so now I play the waiting game.

Started goofing around with Rainmeter recently as well, with the 1.0 release and have stopped using Gadgets as a result :D

Hmm, Saz did you see there were new Setpoint drivers out the other day?
Don't say 7 yet, but you never know.

I am using the latest Setpoint drivers for my G11 keyboard, seems to work great. Then again I don't have a G15 keyboard with all those crazy features.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back